Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Football Outsiders is great when it's telling me what I want to hear about my team. Like right now it definitely feels like DVOA is spot on with its ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Iodised QQ posted:

Because Eli throws the ball into the dirt when he even faces a lick of pressure. FO's top notch offensive line pass blocking grading is based off of sacks/dropbacks. That's it. It's loving terrible.

Eli has always been good at avoiding sacks while there are other QB's like Rodgers or Ben who make their lines look worse in such grading systems because they hold the ball forever. Like febreeze said, there are times nowadays where Eli loses faith in his line and plays shaken like he was against Minn/GB. The bounceback against a solid Baltimore defense is encouraging. But in those 2 primetime games if you think Ereck Flowers or Bobby Hart were phenomenal because they had solid FO/PFF grades then I don't know what to say. They're horrible. Flowers at least has the physical talent to mature if he ever puts effort in to learning some proper technique but thus far he hasn't shown the willingness to do so.

Like in the FO stat they say the Giants have the 4th best pass blocking OL and Green Bay is 11th. Those two lines don't deserve to take the same field together and yet the Giants are better?

Yeah FO does sacks only but the point still stands that Eli is one of the least pressured and least hit QBs in the league:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT

Sure he fires ducks to avoid pressure but every single QB in the league does that too.

Jeeze guys just be happy that our pass blocking is actually good compared to the rest of the league. I don't think they were nearly as bad as you or Febreeze are describing in most of the games this year outside the Packers and Redskins game. And even the Redskins game was a complete fall apart team effort. The real problem really is that there's just no ground game to speak of and any problems on offense kinda stem from that.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Just read that the Redskins defense has not allowed a 2nd half TD since Week 2 :stare:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus Christ some of the poo poo people are making up in this Romo/Dak debate is embarrassingly stupid.

Radio guy admits he's pulling stuff out of his rear end, but says he feels like Dak works harder than Romo ever did. In six games. That Romo was coddled by Jerry, and he was an underachiever.

Let me help simplify the Romo/Dak debate: both are talented QBs, but one is coming back from yet another injury and the other is younger, more mobile, and not struggling with the offensive playcalls.

All of that is true, as opposed to blue/silver bleeders vomiting up nonsense. God drat.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Jesus Christ some of the poo poo people are making up in this Romo/Dak debate is embarrassingly stupid.

Radio guy admits he's pulling stuff out of his rear end, but says he feels like Dak works harder than Romo ever did. In six games. That Romo was coddled by Jerry, and he was an underachiever.

Let me help simplify the Romo/Dak debate: both are talented QBs, but one is coming back from yet another injury and the other is younger, more mobile, and not struggling with the offensive playcalls.

All of that is true, as opposed to blue/silver bleeders vomiting up nonsense. God drat.

The Romo/Dak debate should honestly factor in "we don't want our starting QB to be in a wheelchair the rest of his life." I'm honestly terrified that if Romo comes back he's going to end up paralyzed or forever hobbled.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

axeil posted:

end up paralyzed or forever hobbled.

it can happen to any football player

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wentz is gonna slay the Vikings D this weekend, just watch. And then he will be back to holy status and champion of our heart.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

AvesPKS posted:

Well, his rookie year was also RG3's rookie year, and yeah the Redskins could definitely run the ball in 2012. His production dropped off every year after that, he's 27 and a physical runner, I'd compare him at least from a longevity standpoint to Marion Barber, so I think the team just figured he wasn't worth keeping around long term. It was a shame to see him go, but he was to me another patch on a lacking RB squad that has never really gotten back to a Portis/Betts/Cartwright level since Portis left.

I think he massively benefited from the read option stuff as teams had to keep guessing between him or RG3. When they went away from that he was still pretty good behind the zone blocking scheme, but that changed under Gruden who also didn't run the ball as much and Morris also looked more indecisive at that point.

Washington seems like an about average team that could trend to the good side of average if Cousins continues to improve his play. If they can fix their defensive line next offseason while not having their offense blown up (they need Docston to get over whatever the hell is going on with his achilles tendons so he can be ready to step in and replace whoever they end up losing next season) they could probably move into the actual "good" category, assuming Cousins continues to play decently well and doesn't price himself out of town asking for top tier quarterback money.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Levitate posted:

Washington seems like an about average team that could trend to the good side of average if Cousins continues to improve his play.

That's why they were my preseason pick to win the division. They seemed average and I thought everyone else was poo poo.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

They 2013 and 2014 Redskins seasons were just brutal to watch from an entertainment standpoint so I'm just happy they have a team that can make most games competitive and can move the ball, even if sometimes it results in hilarious interceptions. There was nothing less fun than watching 2013-14 RG3 throw for 150 yards a game and like ten 3-and-outs per game.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

They 2013 and 2014 Redskins seasons were just brutal to watch from an entertainment standpoint so I'm just happy they have a team that can make most games competitive and can move the ball, even if sometimes it results in hilarious interceptions. There was nothing less fun than watching 2013-14 RG3 throw for 150 yards a game and like ten 3-and-outs per game.

and get utterly destroyed 5+ times per game

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So this division has Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and John Mara in it

not only are we the best division, we are the most blatantly evil.

of course the only owner with a relatively clean record is Lurie, and the Eagles have no championships, so maybe being evil pays off

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Febreeze posted:

of course the only owner with a relatively clean record is Lurie, and the Eagles have no championships, so maybe being evil pays off

Looked up this guy, since I'd never heard of him. Sounds like a decent person. He apparently tried to buy the Pats back in the day but they backed out. That could be some interesting alternate history to think about what would if Lurie bought the Pats instead of Kraft or if Orthwein had been able to moved the team to Saint Louis.

Actually, now that I say that, but I bet it wouldn't be all that different. They're decent ownerships. It's not like the Pats would be Freaky Friday-ing with the Raiders or Browns or something.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

axeil posted:

The Romo/Dak debate should honestly factor in "we don't want our starting QB to be in a wheelchair the rest of his life." I'm honestly terrified that if Romo comes back he's going to end up paralyzed or forever hobbled.

On the other hand, as long as he is OK that offense will be real scary with Romo and Dez

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just line Romo up at WR like he did that one time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

So this division has Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and John Mara in it

not only are we the best division, we are the most blatantly evil.

All three actively employ wife beaters and so even under public pressure.

I mean the Maras are old school families but I didn't think they were that old school

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Romo/Dak debate is simple - whoever looks better with the 1st team in practice should be the one playing. Don't put Romo out there till he's healthy and in a full groove.

Dak is amazing and hopefully turns into a long term replacement for Romo, but Tony is the best QB the cowboys have ever had.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Doltos posted:

All three actively employ wife beaters and so even under public pressure.

I mean the Maras are old school families but I didn't think they were that old school

Wait who on the Skins is a wife beater?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NattyBo posted:

Wait who on the Skins is a wife beater?

Junior Galette

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Metapod posted:

Junior Galette

Huh, was not aware of that.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tony is the best QB the cowboys have ever had.

huh? Is Football Outsiders ranking Romo over Aikman and Staubach now?

Sorry if you are making a joke or something, but you seemed to state that without a hint of facetiousness.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

DANNY WHITE is the best QB the cowboys have ever had.

Show me another QB that played all 4 downs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Aikman had one (1) season where he threw for more than 19 touchdowns

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 22, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

Sorry if you are making a joke or something, but you seemed to state that without a hint of facetiousness.

It's not a joke. Romo is better than both. Even Aikman says Romo is better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Romo could very well be the best QB the Cowboys ever had, but it's a point that will never get past the bottom line lunkhead fans. Whenever he was on fire, his team was subpar. At his best, he was the best only part of his team worth watching.

This doesn't make him special or anything. Look at Philip Rivers. There's just some guys that wind up being saddled with braindead FOs and mediocre teams for way too long.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When he goes to Denver and wins two Super Bowls in a row, then maybe people will give him credit. Maybe

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

NattyBo posted:

Huh, was not aware of that.

He's only a redskin because like two weeks after the Saints gave him a big extension a video came out showing him whipping a woman with a belt during a brawl, so the Saints cut him, and the Skins immediately signed him because they're poo poo people made of poo poo and feeding on poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

I say that without a hint of irony. Antonio Ramiro Romo is the best QB to ever wear the star on the side of his helmet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shinjobi posted:

Romo could very well be the best QB the Cowboys ever had,

No.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Breaking news: Doltos is wrong

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Shinjobi posted:

I had to turn this off after about a minute. Dude isn't even a normal ticket host and the other guy was just like...."I don't know man"

Also I'm one of the few left on the start Romo wagon. Fight me.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

indigi posted:

Aikman had one (1) season where he threw for more than 19 touchdowns

Yeah cause he gave the ball to Emmit Smith all the time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:wth:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

davecrazy posted:

Yeah cause he gave the ball to Emmit Smith all the time.

yes, that's kind of the point. any decent starter could have done that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

indigi posted:

yes, that's kind of the point. any decent starter could have done that.

Which is why they were able to make a Super Bowl with Bernie Kosar

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Maybe I'm just not in touch with Dallas local media, but literally every time I see the legacy of Romo mentioned in a national press, the commentator is almost tripping over himself to defend why Romo is The Best QB of All Time.

I'll never understand the persecution complex that Dallas fans have WRT Romo. The media loves him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a new study bible! posted:

Maybe I'm just not in touch with Dallas local media, but literally every time I see the legacy of Romo mentioned in a national press, the commentator is almost tripping over himself to defend why Romo is The Best QB of All Time.

I'll never understand the persecution complex that Dallas fans have WRT Romo. The media loves him.

Are you kidding me? DFW hates him. Everyone just wants Aikman, Staubach, or trade for Peyton/Brady/Bo Jackson.

The blue/silver bleeders think Romo is the worst QB to ever exist on earth.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Racist

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Another victory for the best division in football, the NFC East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I believe that the Eagles will win today. Philly is back at home and Wentz can't miss.

• Locked thread