Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Amy Pole Her posted:

drat man don't make the black bar so tiny that dudes got a family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Amy Pole Her posted:

drat man don't make the black bar so tiny that dudes got a family

You're the only one who thinks they're his.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
McLeod is looking like a pretty decent corner. Besides Mills our secondary isnt the dumpster fire i thought it would be.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Word is, 49ers and Eagles are discussing a trade for Torrey Smith

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

89 posted:

Word is, 49ers and Eagles are discussing a trade for Torrey Smith

I really hope this goes through, hes at least a semi-serviceable deep threat with reliable hands.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Unless it's for a 6th, no thanks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

I really hope this goes through, hes at least a semi-serviceable deep threat with reliable hands.

... TORREY smith. You must be thinking of someone different.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Amy Pole Her posted:

... TORREY smith. You must be thinking of someone different.

Have you seen our wide receivers?

From what I remember of Smith when he was at Baltimore he was good at going for deep balls

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 25, 2016

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Have you seen our wide receivers?

From what I remember of Smith when he was at Baltimore he was good at going for deep balls

he's an older Jordan Matthews with markedly worse hands. which is saying something.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

Unless it's for a 6th, no thanks.

How about Agholor straight up?

edit: If I had made this post three days ago I would have said Huff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

How about Agholor straight up?

edit: If I had made this post three days ago I would have said Huff.

eh, I'd consider this but there's a chance Agholor can get his head right. young receivers can take 3 years to really turn into the type of WR they're going to be. plus he's cheaper and younger. honestly, going for Smith seems like a panic move and I wouldn't have expected something like that out of Howie unless it's a fire sale.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Im honestly flabbergasted that there are Redskins fans who still don't want to hold on to Cousins after this season. This fanbase is so broken and dumb. If we let him walk this team deserves every bad thing that happens to it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NattyBo posted:

Im honestly flabbergasted that there are Redskins fans who still don't want to hold on to Cousins after this season. This fanbase is so broken and dumb. If we let him walk this team deserves every bad thing that happens to it.

you're gonna have to pay an awful lot of money to hold onto a barely above-average starter. if you aren't gonna be competing for a Superbowl next year, it might be better to let him walk in the long run

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I really see him as well above average but I think the national perception is different. I'm not ready to go back into the wilderness of putrid QBs. Cousins gives us a chance to win most of the games we play in, which is good enough.

I mean he's 6th in passing yards, 10th in passing TDs, can run when he needs to, 14th in completion % and 6th in completions of 20+ yards. The reality is you can't match that production with some free agent JAG, unless there's a can't miss rookie in the draft, which we won't be high enough to get anyway.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 25, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The public perception in the NFL is ridiculous now. When the Redskins were 0-2 there was some intense doomsaying going on by media outlets and a lot of twitter reporters talking about how the entire locker room hates Cousins.

Winning is everything but it seems like just a few years ago the public would at least wait til a team was 0-5 before freaking out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doltos posted:

The public perception in the NFL is ridiculous now. When the Redskins were 0-2 there was some intense doomsaying going on by media outlets and a lot of twitter reporters talking about how the entire locker room hates Cousins.

Winning is everything but it seems like just a few years ago the public would at least wait til a team was 0-5 before freaking out.

Cousins is a special situation I think - he's making 19 mil on a "prove it" type deal, he's been inconsistent in the past (even last season), he hasn't looked stellar against good defenses. him going 0-2 wasn't "just" 0-2, to a lot of people it was confirming their worst fears and let them know they'd be looking for a QB again. I understand why they were quick to freak.

and the start of this season/early last year colored my perception of him, too, so my "barely above-average" is probably unfair, Natty Bo. I only watched the one Redskins game so far this year and Kirk looked decent, but I'd still be a bit worried about giving him a long term, cap-killing deal

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Nah, I don't think Cousins is different. Like Daltos said, winning is everything and right now, the NFL is very "what have you done for me this week" when it comes team perception. The "best team" in the league rotates pretty much every week and a single loss by any squad seemingly invalidates all prior performance, unless of course they manage to win a couple games until the teams "above" them drop a game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but other teams have had garbage starts and nobody flipped absolute poo poo about it the way they did with Cousins. even in Buffalo, which had a very similar start to their season, you didn't hear nearly the same level of criticism for Taylor (although granted Rex is gonna absorb most of the hate on that team). Bortles still isn't catching that level of poo poo, and he's regressed terribly. Cousins has been teetering on the edge of fraud status since the end of 2014, and we're still not sure, so people are gonna pounce on any evidence they can.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
I went ahead and grabbed some stats, no trying to co opt the thread but I'm infuriated at idiotic sports radio and want good outside perception.

Through Week 7:

Passing yards: 6th

Yards/G: 7th

Completion %: 14th

YPC: 15th

1st Down: Tied/6th

1st Down %: 21st

Longest play: 27th

Pass Plays of 20+ yds: 6th

Pass Plays of 40+ yds: Tied/12th

Passing TDs: 10th

Rush TDs: Tied/7th

INT: Tied/7th

Rating: 92.3/18th

2 4th quarter comebacks in 2016, and he also took the lead on the road in Detroit with 1:05 left to play.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 25, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:ughh:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

better trade him now and get what we can

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the NFCE is all above .500 and no other division is close.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Imagine newspapers being this terrible about any other current event.
Soldier Dies in Afghanistan: Taliban Now Top of Power Rankings, USA Below France

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Nice! posted:

This season rules.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Turns out Shakespeare was a fan of the NFC East:

Henry IV posted:

Why dost thou converse with that trunk of humors, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloakbag of guts, that roasted Manningtree ox with the pudding in his belly

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

We may see 3 NFCBeast team in the playoffs this year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

NattyBo posted:

I went ahead and grabbed some stats, no trying to co opt the thread but I'm infuriated at idiotic sports radio and want good outside perception.

Through Week 7:

Passing yards: 6th

Yards/G: 7th

Completion %: 14th

YPC: 15th

1st Down: Tied/6th

1st Down %: 21st

Longest play: 27th

Pass Plays of 20+ yds: 6th

Pass Plays of 40+ yds: Tied/12th

Passing TDs: 10th

Rush TDs: Tied/7th

INT: Tied/7th

Rating: 92.3/18th

2 4th quarter comebacks in 2016, and he also took the lead on the road in Detroit with 1:05 left to play.

You understand the redskins haven't had their bye week yet, right? Having an extra week over half the league makes his numbers look much better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NotWearingPants posted:

:lol: only if Palmer goes out for the season and the Cards lose the wildcard somehow.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

MrLogan posted:

You understand the redskins haven't had their bye week yet, right? Having an extra week over half the league makes his numbers look much better.

Ok, but this is equal to or slightly less than his performance last year so far.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chichevache posted:

:lol: only if Palmer goes out for the season and the Cards lose the wildcard somehow.

might be easier than you think when they have a half win stuck in their record

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
On a side note, I was talking to a college football player at the bar a couple of nights ago. He actually played Carson Wentz when he was a freshman (Wentz was a junior). He was in awe of how smooth and composed the guy was. They were playing with it snowing and in high elevation and it was like a 70 degree sunny day for Wentz. "Nothing ever affected him". "He's the real deal."

He's perfect :allears:

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

As much as I'd like to see this, I think the NFC North will take a wildcard spot along with the East. The Lions and Vikings look too good right now.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

On a side note, I was talking to a college football player at the bar a couple of nights ago. He actually played Carson Wentz when he was a freshman (Wentz was a junior). He was in awe of how smooth and composed the guy was. They were playing with it snowing and in high elevation and it was like a 70 degree sunny day for Wentz. "Nothing ever affected him". "He's the real deal."

He's perfect :allears:

I talked to a guy who was a senior when wentz was a junior and he said wentz was "Grossman-like" when it came to after the game

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NattyBo posted:

As much as I'd like to see this, I think the NFC North will take a wildcard spot along with the East. The Lions and Vikings look too good right now.

I think it's going to be the West and the North in the wildcard.

Febreeze posted:

might be easier than you think when they have a half win stuck in their record

looks like half a loss from where I'm standing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

I talked to a guy who was a senior when wentz was a junior and he said wentz was "Grossman-like" when it came to after the game

Sexy Wentzy? :allears:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

NattyBo posted:

The Lions and Vikings look too good right now.

Imagine saying this with a straight face

2016 just gets stranger and stranger

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
By The Numbers: Why It's Time To Pay Kirk Cousins

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1721709-why-it-s-time-to-pay-kirk-cousins

quote:

Cousins nearly blows it again
Cousins never saw the defender
What was he looking at?
And my personal favorite, Cousins being Cousins

While this rhetoric is cute, if you look at the facts, it’s just false and the numbers prove my point. Since Cousins was named starting QB of the Washington Redskins in September of 2015, he has attempted 808 passes and has thrown 17 interceptions. That is an interception percentage of 2.1%, a lower percentage than Eli Manning (2.25), Matt Ryan (2.33), Cam Newton (2.37), Andrew Luck (2.81) and Ben Roethlisberger (3.17). Big Ben has thrown 5 more picks than Cousins in 6 fewer games!

While he has protected the ball, he is also doing more with it. He is 11th in the NFL with 39 TD passes. If you combine Cousins's passing and rushing touchdowns (45), he has five more total touchdowns than Russell Wilson (40). You may say “Yes but Russell Wilson wins”, but I’ll bet you would be surprised to know that Russell Wilson has only accounted for one more victory (14) than Kirk Cousins (13) since the start of last season. In fact, Cousins' 13 wins as a starter is seventh in the league and it’s the same number of wins as Joe Flacco and Philip Rivers...COMBINED.

Want more numbers? Here you go. Since he was named the starter, Kirk Cousins has the 6 th best QB Rating (98.5) in the league and is #1 in completion percentage (68.81) better than Drew Brees (68.33) and Matthew Stafford (67.47). If Cousins maintains his career completion percentage of 65.5% for another 285 pass attempts (to reach the minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify), he will be 3rd ALL-TIME in completion percentage, tied with Kurt Warner and better than Peyton Manning (65.3). The argument to completion percentage is Cousins dinks and dunks his way to a high completion percentage...WRONG!

Since being named starter, Cousins’ yards per attempt is 7.63, which is 7th in the NFL That's .11 behind Drew Brees (7.74), and better then noted gunslingers Jay Cutler (7.62) and Rivers (7.52).

People that criticize Cousins must not watch the league. Teams all over the NFL have major QB problems. I can name 10 teams (Jets, Browns, Ravens, Texans, Jags, Titans, Broncos, Bears, Rams, Niners) that have face major quarterback questions and for the first time in over 20 years the Redskins aren’t one of those teams.

Finally. Hopefully the national perception starts to change. I think Kirk has gotten a pretty bad rap due to some struggles in primetime early in his career but the numbers don't lie.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2016

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kirk Cousins is a quarterback. That is a fact.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the national perception? Who cares about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Gynecolojustice posted:

the national perception? Who cares about that

It's just really annoying and any time he makes a mistake it's magnified like other QBs never do the same. Hell even around here some people hold him to blame for RG3, and can't get over the fact that he is occasionally going to turn the ball over.

• Locked thread