Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kuato posted:

I actually watched an episode for the first time in ten years. Holy poo poo has Arthur become a stupid show since I last watched. In the one I saw Matt Damon (literally Matt Damon) is feuding with Arthur or Binky or something.
Is it like Team America:World Police where the only thing he can say is his own name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Ranma Fan Art posted:

why do black people like Arthur so much lol

when you're a kid and your family's too poor to have cable (which means no nickelodeon or cartoon network) the pbs daytime kids show block is your only friend so you better savor it

a retard fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 25, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

a retard posted:

when you're a kid and you're too poor to have cable (which means no nickelodeon or cartoon network) the pbs daytime kids show block is your only friend so you better savor it

Even if you got cable it was a raw deal because they'd play Nick Jr. all day.

Devil-be-damned
Jul 23, 2007

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Did You Know that every single voice actor for DW has been a Boy?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Did You Know that every single voice actor for DW has been a Boy?

same for Arthur

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorStrangelove posted:

wtf is muffy on in this frame?

Ranma Fan Art posted:

she knows were here

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EugeneJ posted:

Can we do this with Lowtax

That would be funny but also a poo poo tonne of effort

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gridlocked posted:

That would be funny but also a poo poo tonne of effort

I think the service still works if anyone wants to drop $29.95 and send them a pic of Lowtax

http://www.happykidspersonalized.com/HOME/LE43_DVDS10.HTM#1003

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

There's an eight year gap between my youngest sibling and I. By the time he was growing out of these shows I had a toddler nephew. Then another, then one more. I have been effectively watched children's programming for the last 20 years. So yes. I did have to sit through George shrinks. And caillou. And the backyardigans. And bubble guppies. And ruby and max. And more.
max & ruby is godawful poo poo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the trump tutelage posted:

9/10 times stuff done in flash-style (not necessarily flash) is poo poo

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
See, I remember Arthur as a book series and not a show. And I remember finding the first book in my school library and seeing this poo poo:

The first book is about being proud of your nose, even if it's long and gross. Which is kind of weird, considering they literally took away his long nose later on to make him more appealing.

Also, apparently "Arthur" went to Washington DC in 2011 to oppose defunding PBS:

There are a ton of unsettling and bizarre photos of a guy in an Arthur suit in DC, staring at you with those horrible dead eyes and swollen hands.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Arthur isn't suppose to be that tall..

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Is it ever. I can't stand those little shits. I hate toopy and binoo as well. I thought I was having a fever dream when there was an episode where the mouse finds lipstick, puts it on and starts kissing everything, and everything he kisses comes to life. It was hosed up.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Caillou is a little whiny bitch, and I can't stand the loud whisper kind of talking in Kipper. Is that a british thing, or what?

Phineas and ferb was surprisingly decent for kids, my expectations were low since it was put out by the mouse

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Caillou and Max both need to have their skulls caved in for being such loving assholes all the time.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even if you got cable it was a raw deal because they'd play Nick Jr. all day.

At least Nick Jr. had David the Gnome.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf1YWrPwqUA&t=12s

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

I remember seeing the episode where Arthur gets a new piano teacher as a kid and thinking there's no way you could ever get me to practice for a full hour and that Dr. Fugue was a wackjob. Now that I am the teacher all I can think is, Arthur you rear end in a top hat he's a world-renowned musician don't squander this opportunity because you're a lazy prick, just practice the drat piano

:eng101: Remember, genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Most brutal series finale ever at the time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

*looks up David the Gnome*
You're older than me, because they must have stopped airing that by the time I was too old for Nick Jr.

shame on an IGA posted:

Most brutal series finale ever at the time

quote:

David and his wife Lisa must go off into the mountains because their time on Earth is almost over. They know they will not live past the age of 400 years. David finishes writing his journal about the gnomes. He and Lisa are visited by an Arctic mouse, who is carrying a message from their old friend Casper who explains that he does not want to go alone. On the way, David and Lisa meet up with all the animals, who have come to say goodbye. Then they travel to the Blue Mountains and have tea with Casper. Past the Blue Mountains is a beautiful valley of flowers. They tell Swift he cannot climb up the mountain with them. The Gnomes ascend the mountain, and say final goodbyes. As David and Lisa pass on, their bodies turn into intertwined apple trees. Casper passes moments later, after muttering to himself for a while. On the way back to the forest, Swift meets another gnome named Christopher, who rides a female fox named Agnes. Swift and Agnes appear to be romantically interested in each other. The spirits of the passed Gnomes wave goodbye.

Goddamn.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Detective No. 27 posted:

*looks up David the Gnome*
You're older than me, because they must have stopped airing that by the time I was too old for Nick Jr.

Goddamn.

Nick Jr. shows back then had some really dark stuff. There is no way that kind of thing would fly today.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't the koala show "Noozles" about the girl's dad dying and sending her back talking koalas from the afterlife

All those dubbed Japanese cartoons were hosed up

dregma
Nov 4, 2004

I want my empire back, you son of a bitch!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dregma fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 29, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Nick Jr. shows back then had some really dark stuff. There is no way that kind of thing would fly today.

It was back in that "no ones paying attention" era when a lot of kid's things were made by counter culture aging hippies

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. but caillou was worse. christ that kid was oval office.

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't the koala show "Noozles" about the girl's dad dying and sending her back talking koalas from the afterlife

All those dubbed Japanese cartoons were hosed up

wtf.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
My entire family got violently ill when I was about 13. My parents got the TV upstairs with the vcr and all the good poo poo, whereas this was the hell I had to sit through with my little brother. Rolie Polie Olie remains one of technology's worst atrocities.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Friginator posted:

My entire family got violently ill when I was about 13. My parents got the TV upstairs with the vcr and all the good poo poo, whereas this was the hell I had to sit through with my little brother. Rolie Polie Olie remains one of technology's worst atrocities.

PB&J Otter was goddamn trash. So was that big loving dancing bear in that house. A bitch rear end loving Big Bird is what that fucker was.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have a friend whose daughter is in prep school (that's 5 years old for non-Aus) and has been brought up on The Disney Channel.

What happened to Sesame Street, Arthur and Playschool (again I guess that's like, Mister Rodgers but for Australians.,, kinda)?

Now instead of having Big Bird teach her how to count while interacting with a variety of people from different cultural backgrounds and learning a bit about the world she has a group of irresponsible children with no parental supervision telling her that counting to 3 is important to find treasure cause PIRATES.

naem
May 29, 2011

It's good training for the grimdark mad max future about to happen

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
My Mom could never remember the words "Bear in the Big Blue House" when it came up in conversation. I have no idea why. She would say stuff that wasn't even close, like "Bear in the Big Black Room" and other variations that didn't even really make sense. Also, there was a show called "Out of the Box" that I despised, but made me fascinated with the idea of living in boxes.

naem
May 29, 2011

My little sister had a friend (a girl) and my parents would make me go hang out at their house with them for some reason and the whole basement was a play room but it was all girl stuff. Like it was pink and princess themed and they had lots of girl TV shows on vhs and I was too tall for the bouncy castle the whole situation was v awkward honestly

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
See, I was really into taking the clothes off of Barbie Dolls when I was a kid. I would go over to my cousin's house sometimes and by the time I left, her Barbies would all be naked. And keep in mind, this was especially gratifying for me because I was under the impression that Barbie was anatomically correct.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Friginator posted:

See, I was really into taking the clothes off of Barbie Dolls when I was a kid. I would go over to my cousin's house sometimes and by the time I left, her Barbies would all be naked. And keep in mind, this was especially gratifying for me because I was under the impression that Barbie was anatomically correct.

:same:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Wait so Binky is a bully and he is literally a bulldog. That's racial profiling. :cmon:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Friginator posted:

Rolie Polie Olie remains one of technology's worst atrocities.

Oh loving christ that theme song can go gently caress itself forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

laserghost posted:

Oh loving christ that theme song can go gently caress itself forever.

He's rollie pollie ollie, he's small and plurt and round, and in the land of curves and blorbs he's the smorlest kid around. Rollie, rollie. Hurray, hurray. And in the land of curves and blors he's the smorlest kid the smorlest kid the smorlest kid around.

• Locked thread