Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THE-g8ghE2A

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

:getin:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Don't kink shame. Who are you to say a bear and a chicken can't fall in love and make out in front of a child furry?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

How do Arthur's glasses stay on when his ears are on top of his head? HUH????

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cacator posted:

How do Arthur's glasses stay on when his ears are on top of his head? HUH????

I knew my intrinsic hate of this show was for a reason.

Risky
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrK9-O5G_o

Ghetto Arthur is the best Arthur

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Yeah and why is Pluto Mickey's pet when Goofy is also a dog and blah blah blah blah you're not breaking any new ground here, buddy. You want to know the answer? It's the same reason we put gorillas in zoos and not people. The dogs who are Arthur's peers and the dogs who are pets in Arthur's universe simply evolved from a common ancestor and are in fact distinct species with different levels of intelligence and thus personhood, despite their broad morphological similarities. I've given this a lot of thought and I'm planning to write my dissertation on it, so just be aware of that before you go and start trying to claim any of my ideas as your own in the future.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
what the gently caress is the deal with Duckman, i mean he is a talking duck and his buddy Cornfed is a talking pig but he has a pet dog.. i guess they didnt think that one through, huh? shoulda had me as a consultant

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Junk posted:

what the gently caress is the deal with Duckman, i mean he is a talking duck and his buddy Cornfed is a talking pig but he has a pet dog.. i guess they didnt think that one through, huh? shoulda had me as a consultant

xzuk my cick you fuckrbam

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

moose face posted:

is this real?

http://arthur.wikia.com/wiki/William_Fillmore_Toffman

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Writing for Arthur seems like it would be a pretty sweet gig as far as children's shows go.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Maybe Buster's dad is a reversed homage to Marge Simpson's situation, where she was originally meant to be one of the Life is Hell rabbits using a wig over her ears to disguise herself as a human.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1sbZ66UMqc

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
remember when buster had two moms and people lost their goddamn minds

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Someone hosed up the animation so the frame was wider than it should have been.

It's probably that the background covers the whole frame including the overscan area while the foreground object don't.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVIL Gibson posted:

WHAT THE FLYING gently caress IS WITH THIS SHOW?

:staredog:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

=

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Arthur is a myth yet the show presents it as real

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I also clicked past Arthur as fast as I could. This isn't power rangers!

Only thing I knew about the show was how Arthur ghosted some weird girl that tried to kiss him, and he just leaves behind lots of chocolate 'kisses' in his chair.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Galileo908/status/785676531649609728

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That show was way too pussified by them not wanting to do anything that wasn't too family friendly. It meant they could never tackle any real issues, like the bully thing. It was the ultimate PBS show, and I always hated it because of that.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
idk did any television show from the 90s aimed specifically at young children ever do anything vaguely 'hard hitting' especially on public access

i remember seeing a recent episode or something where they had cell phones and texting which i thought was very weird cause i dont remember seeing anything like that in any of the cartoons my sisters watched growing up and also when i was a kid cell phones were like seen as a bad thing you dont talk about because sexting/predators/myspace

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

rotinaj posted:

That show was way too pussified by them not wanting to do anything that wasn't too family friendly. It meant they could never tackle any real issues, like the bully thing. It was the ultimate PBS show, and I always hated it because of that.

There was literally an episode where DW called her mom a bitch.

edit: also I looked up that episode and it contains this: "Ugh! This is terrible Apple Betty! It's (bleep)! My mother, now, there was a woman who could make (bleep) an amazing Apple Betty. When she made it, the whole (bleep) neighborhood stood outside our house. (bleep) saint (bleep) that woman was. If it's okay with you, T, I'd like to give that pastry chef a taste of his own cannoli."

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

can someone please explain this ... half of a truck?

Obv. Arthur takes place in 1960s Japan.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Kuato posted:

Arthur was an aardvark, and some of his classmates were dogs. And yet here, we have Arthur with a pet dog.

I'm pretty she there was an episode where they say that the "pet dog" was actually a special needs kid that the family took in after Arthur got her pregnant.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(bleep) saint (bleep) that woman was.

I honestly can't even imagine what that sentence even would be uncensored. Fuckin saint goddamn that woman was?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ishikabibble posted:

Obv. Arthur takes place in 1960s Japan.

When you think about it this pretty much explains all of the concerns raised in the OP as well

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The only episode I remember, the bully has a deep connection with a Mondrian and realizes the museum has it hung incorrectly. His classmates all laugh at him because it's just a painting of squares and dogs can't appreciate art anyway but he digs in and does his research and finds a picture of the artist with the painting in question, proving himself right. The museum rotates the piece and I learned that we vilify the underclass lest we see ourselves in them.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Kuato posted:

There are some strange going-ons when it comes to Arthur, that should be fleshed out by the paragons of knowledge that is GBS.

Among the issues are

Why did Arthur's family have a pet?

Arthur was an aardvark, and some of his classmates were dogs. And yet here, we have Arthur with a pet dog.

Was Arthur illegally keeping people as his slave? Is there some form of indentured servitude in the Arthur universe?

Another issue to emerge is

Binky does not seem to be an actual bully.

Binky is portrayed as being a bully to some extent, however he is never actually seen being a bully, at least not in the episodes I've watched. He's actually a complex person with similar interests (arguably more cultured interests, with proof being his interest in the clarinet) to the rest of the group. However he is pigeonholed as being a bully. A part of this definitely seems to be based on class, so is he part of this indentured class of people that may possibly exist, as mentioned above?

Lastly, another issue is

What species is Buster's dad?

He shares some traits with a rabbit, however as one sees below, shares more traits with a human than a rabbit.

He almost looks like a human trying to pass himself off as a rabbit.

The latter issue brings up a more far sweeping discussion of just what is the Arthur universe? Is it some type of post-Doctor Moreau type future, where hybrid animals have taken over the planet? Is it some sort of alternate dimension? Who knows? :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj6V11ebZBM

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the new episodes are dumb because the baby and the dog talk to each other (and the dog has a british accent)

so in that universe dogs are intellectually equivalent to "human" babies

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I like the episode where the principal accuses Arthur of stealing a bunch of quarters. It turns out that the lunch lady mixed them in with the brownies, which somehow does not result in her firing. Instead, the janitor is tasked with checking each brownie with a metal detector. "Come and get it!"

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

nigga crab pollock posted:

idk did any television show from the 90s aimed specifically at young children ever do anything vaguely 'hard hitting' especially on public access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZoTfIe6zlk

Dunno if it was public access in us but still it was freaky because that episode was surprisingly to the point iirc and the show was basically 90's ecological fad in superhero form

laserghost fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 17, 2016

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

laserghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZoTfIe6zlk

Dunno if it was public access in us but still it was freaky because that episode was surprisingly to the point iirc and the show was basically 90's ecological fad in superhero form

There was the episode of tiny toons where buster, plucky and hampton(?) steal a beer then become alcoholics (although only ever apparently drinking that one single beer split 3 ways) then steal a police car and get in a fatal car accident. And then at the end of the episode the ghosts tell you that next week they will go back to have jokes and being funny.

also "The Mickey MouseWorks short "Minnie Takes Care of Pluto" was banned because it involved the disturbing premise of Pluto having the paranoid belief that Minnie planned to kill him and also had a scene where Pluto dreamed that he was in Hell. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the new episodes are dumb because the baby and the dog talk to each other (and the dog has a british accent)

so in that universe dogs are intellectually equivalent to "human" babies

dogs operate on the intellectual level of like a 3 year old so babies are actually dumber than dogs, hth

• Locked thread