Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

Remember when it was a joke that Homer weighed 230lbs and was considered lazy and fat instead of just a normal guy?

I remember when he discovers that he could get on disability if he got even fatter, then spends half the episode working his way up to 300lbs - never mind that eating what we typically see Homer eat would push most people well past that point.

Some experts have actually placed some of the blame for the obesity epidemic on stuff like that - fatasses on TV are portrayed as eating every meal as though they're training for an eating contest, yet you can easily end up obese by eating slightly more calories than you burn over a period of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even if you got cable it was a raw deal because they'd play Nick Jr. all day.

At least Nick Jr. had David the Gnome.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

I have a friend whose daughter is in prep school (that's 5 years old for non-Aus) and has been brought up on The Disney Channel.

What happened to Sesame Street, Arthur and Playschool (again I guess that's like, Mister Rodgers but for Australians.,, kinda)?

Now instead of having Big Bird teach her how to count while interacting with a variety of people from different cultural backgrounds and learning a bit about the world she has a group of irresponsible children with no parental supervision telling her that counting to 3 is important to find treasure cause PIRATES.

Is Sesame Street not airing anymore in Australia? Last I checked, it's still going strong in the US.

And is anyone familiar with Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood? It's supposed to be based on the Land of Make-Believe from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, but when I took a look at it, it felt like just another preschool-kid-oriented show - little more than a cheap shot for name recognition.

• Locked thread