Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dangit rockstar just release the game on pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

To be fair you can just hook your PC up to a TV now but the next wave of consoles coming out can play games at 4K resolution, making PC's not really relevant anymore.

lol

spooky like this! posted:

As an example, to get the iconic scenes where music plays in Mexico and when John heads home they had to cobble together a system where the music was tied to the horse you got on. That's why if you get off the horse or don't ride the one they give you it stops/doesn't play.

I just hope the online is less of a clusterfuck for the first year

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 19, 2016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Gas this and make a new thread when the trailer comes out and we get a lot more info, because I guess all this thread can be at this point is depressed hellthread retards sniping at each other. TIA

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Gas this and make a new thread when the trailer comes out and we get a lot more info, because I guess all this thread can be at this point is depressed hellthread retards sniping at each other. TIA

Appreciate your contribution!

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Red Dead Reckoning

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nobody will gas my one shot at Games Superstar Poster status so help me god, this is my baby and i love it even tho it's filled with impotent political correctness rageposting.

Trailer is tomorrow anyway i think, i'm sure there will be plenty of extremist tumblrite no-nos to sperg out about in the coming pages.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oxxidation posted:

bloodysabbath is the only one really beating that drum and he's the sleaziest piece of poo poo on this entire forum so there's no need to generalize.

RDR's nature as a period piece helped rein in the worst of Rockstar's tedious "satire," so hopefully that'll hold up for a sequel.

I hope so. I also hope they can get away from the tried and true Rockstar tradition of having you do a bunch of missions for a annoying piece of poo poo only for them to betray you down the line. With a diversity of characters, that leads to a diversity of scenarios.

Dongattack posted:

Nobody will gas my one shot at Games Superstar Poster status so help me god, this is my baby and i love it even tho it's filled with impotent political correctness rageposting.

Trailer is tomorrow anyway i think, i'm sure there will be plenty of extremist tumblrite no-nos to sperg out about in the coming pages.

Holy poo poo, you actually used the term "politically correct".

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

blackguy32 posted:

I hope so. I also hope they can get away from the tried and true Rockstar tradition of having you do a bunch of missions for a annoying piece of poo poo only for them to betray you down the line. With a diversity of characters, that leads to a diversity of scenarios.

Lamar Davis: That's how poo poo work, ain't it? You do some jobs for a fool, develop a little uneasy relationship. And then they ask you to do something above and beyond. You fall out, fools get capped, then you start all over again with some other fool.
Franklin Clinton: Where the gently caress did you get that from? That ain't my life, dummy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Lamar Davis: That's how poo poo work, ain't it? You do some jobs for a fool, develop a little uneasy relationship. And then they ask you to do something above and beyond. You fall out, fools get capped, then you start all over again with some other fool.
Franklin Clinton: Where the gently caress did you get that from? That ain't my life, dummy.

Basically. Then they do the same thing later in the game with the FIB guy. I actually think Franklin manages to avoid most of that nonsense.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
Let's be serious for a minute. It's 2016, 2017 when the game comes out, women make up over 40% of gamers! And there are no playable female characters? What is Rockstar thinking?

This is going to flop as hard as GTAV did.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Here's hoping it's an entirely new story with new characters. Why would people want to play as Marston again or a member of his gang? We already know that story and it would be incredibly boring. Rockstar has never made a direct sequel/prequel and I don't think they're about to start.

Right now I'm interested in the setting. GTA always moves around and I hope that internet rumor (lol) I read earlier in the thread about Louisiana and east Texas isn't true because the world would be so boring and flat. RDR had a nice mix of geography and while I wouldn't blame Rockstar for wanting to mix things up, those monument valley-style rock formations are so classically tied to the Wild West that I'd like to see them return.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
race realism

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

am0kgonzo posted:

Let's be serious for a minute. It's 2016, 2017 when the game comes out, women make up over 40% of gamers! And there are no playable female characters? What is Rockstar thinking?

This is going to flop as hard as GTAV did.

That 40% stat is loving hilarious because it lumps free to play in with $20 indies with AAA titles.

Things can have subcategories! It's fine to say more women play visual novels and match-3 games, and men are buying the bulk of $60 stuff where you murder things. It's fine! Separate markets for separate products are fine!

What are you even on anymore?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So while every one is waiting for a trailer what made Red Dead Redemption so good? I missed it in on the PS3/Xbox but I know one of my friends absolutely loved it to death. Unique characters, different setting, etc?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
seriously this thread is loving awful

:gas:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
They should just adapt it directly from Blood Meridian. That way everyone will finally be united in staring at it in slack jawed horror.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BexGu posted:

So while every one is waiting for a trailer what made Red Dead Redemption so good? I missed it in on the PS3/Xbox but I know one of my friends absolutely loved it to death. Unique characters, different setting, etc?

I think the setting was pretty good. The characters I am pretty iffy about since half to most of them were awful. I mean it's kind of strange to have a open world game where most of the world is empty, but it kind of works for Red Dead Redemption. I also really liked the use of Euphoria.

That being said, there was a lot of stuff that I was hoping would get a bit more use. For example, the wrecked paddleboat that you find later.

bloodysabbath posted:

That 40% stat is loving hilarious because it lumps free to play in with $20 indies with AAA titles.

Women make up 33% of all FPS players.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/10/27/report-men-play-more-mmos-fpses-women-rule-mobile-rpg/

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BexGu posted:

Open world setting, good storyline, and tons of side-games and quests to keep you from getting bored. The setting was amazing as well, and looked beautiful.

The game itself is heavily inspired by western movies, and each section of the map reflected a different type of western movie (classic, spaghetti, revisionist). Plus John Marsden was a great protagonist, and you could choose if you wanted him to be noble or a bastard.

Tl;dr: Herbert Moon!!!!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

Things can have subcategories! It's fine to say more women play visual novels and match-3 games, and men are buying the bulk of $60 stuff where you murder things. It's fine! Separate markets for separate products are fine!

separate but equal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BexGu posted:

My main thing was fantastic gunplay - the guns all have top-notch feedback and sfx and enemies respond very satisfyingly to damage - but it also had a decent plethora of side activities that rose above usual "gather x things" fare like treasure and bounty hunts, and a main plotline that's widely seen as Rockstar's best by far. The cast consists of a lot of exaggerated stereotypes like usual, but since they're presented in the context of the frontier ages they're not as eye-rolling as what you see in GTA, and even then they're generally presented with more depth and humanity than in Rockstar's usual fare (one of your acquaintances in the game's first arc is a filthy, gibbering necrophile, and he's actually presented with some measure of sympathy on top of all the predictable black humor that you'd expect).

The fact that it's not built around the relentless accumulation of wealth and status also means that it avoids the issue GTAIV and GTAV had, where victories are meant to seem pyrrhic but your main character keeps on truckin' right along with all their luxury cars and high-class apartments as the game feebly tries to tell you that it's all meant to feel hollow. John Marston is set up from the start as a former bad, disreputable man with a very clear goal in mind, so the usual open-world conceit of constantly doing odd jobs for assholes while getting no respect is a little easier to swallow because it highlights just how desperate Marston is to get his family back in a society that doesn't give two shits about anything but the next dollar. The general bleakness of frontier living also keeps Rockstar's grim tone from getting too farcical - because of course everyone's some kind of idiot or rear end in a top hat all scrabbling for some kind of meager wealth in the dust, it's the Wild West.

Basically it was a lucky bit of coincidence as the game's unique context and setting helped mitigate Rockstar's worst flaws while emphasizing the best parts of their gameplay (shooting stuff and seeing pretty things). Eurogamer did a big writeup on RDR just the other day if you want to look it up, but it has huge spoilers for the game's ending.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It still falls into the classic Rockstar trap of having you work a bunch for assholes. The Mexico section is plagued with a lot of that kind of thing. "Hey, we will help you, but you have to do one more thing for us." *Proceeds to betray you*

But Red Dead Redemption is probably one of the few games where even after I beat the game, I was still finding poo poo that I had never noticed before. For example, I don't think any missions ever take you into the Manteca Falls area, and if you use the games gps, there are large trails that you will never see. It was kind of cool to go back and look at that kind of stuff.

I actually did 100 percent that game. I have no idea why I did it, but I did. I remember my most difficult hangup being some of the wanted guys being kind of bugged out.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 19, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It does but I feel it fits with the tone of the game and just adds on to the whole theme of John trying to redeem himself but getting dragged back into all this bullshit by a bunch of corrupt assholes that think they're the good guys.

In the GTAs its just lazy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

It does but I feel it fits with the tone of the game and just adds on to the whole theme of John trying to redeem himself but getting dragged back into all this bullshit by a bunch of corrupt assholes that think they're the good guys.

In the GTAs its just lazy.

In this case, I don't think its about tone, its about the length. Some of that poo poo goes on for way too long. If it wasn't for Landon Rickets, everybody in the Mexico section would be an idiot, a traitor, or an rear end in a top hat.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

BexGu posted:

Just the overall vibe of the game and feeling of the world for me, i was so totally and completely immersed in that game. And the music was fantastic.
The gameplay was so and so, i was never good at shooting or playing with a controller, but the horse never infuriated me unlike in Witcher 3 and MGSV. And the lasso was just soooo much fun.

Also for some reason i would spend hours playing the poker minigame and pretending to get angry when i lost tearing up poo poo and flipping out.

edit: it is for sure my number one game ive just dicked around in the most

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 19, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I 100% RDR twice, best game Rockstar ever made for sure, just hope it wasn't lightning in a bottle.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

It still falls into the classic Rockstar trap of having you work a bunch for assholes. The Mexico section is plagued with a lot of that kind of thing. "Hey, we will help you, but you have to do one more thing for us." *Proceeds to betray you*

But Red Dead Redemption is probably one of the few games where even after I beat the game, I was still finding poo poo that I had never noticed before. For example, I don't think any missions ever take you into the Manteca Falls area, and if you use the games gps, there are large trails that you will never see. It was kind of cool to go back and look at that kind of stuff.

I actually did 100 percent that game. I have no idea why I did it, but I did. I remember my most difficult hangup being some of the wanted guys being kind of bugged out.

I think that's why Mexico dragged for me. The people you worked for felt like GTA caricatures. Up to that point and after it, the characters felt more nuanced or were endearingly silly that I didn't mind doing things for them. That said, I hope the single player story doesn't focus on Marston's old gang. I have absolutely no desire to see how things were with them. His story is done and sometimes less means more. Them being a presence in the world would be neat, though!

And holy gently caress, is this thread toxic. Uses as many strawmen as Rockstar branded satire does!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
There better be Bigfoot

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

How much does RDR say about Marston's old gang? It's been a while since I've played it. I remember chasing down the leader in the mountains in the third act, and it seemed like he was "the last one" or whatever, but can't remember any other details about who the others were or where they might be. (Are we using tags for RDR?)

I could definitely see you riding with them for a little bit before breaking off. That way you get a taste of Marston & friends along with a story you don't already know the ending to.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It didnt help that like 9/10 Mexico missions make you ride from one end of it to another and holy hell was it long and its roads crooked

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

blackguy32 posted:

I think the setting was pretty good. The characters I am pretty iffy about since half to most of them were awful. I mean it's kind of strange to have a open world game where most of the world is empty, but it kind of works for Red Dead Redemption. I also really liked the use of Euphoria.

That being said, there was a lot of stuff that I was hoping would get a bit more use. For example, the wrecked paddleboat that you find later.

Women make up 33% of all FPS players.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/10/27/report-men-play-more-mmos-fpses-women-rule-mobile-rpg/

Again, are we talking F2P shooters, MMOs with shooter elements, or stuff you pay $60 for? Are they lumping first person walking simulators in here? Of course they are -- it fits the agenda to not properly delineate the categories. It's a wide category of games and if you think 1/3 of CoD or GTA sales are coming from women, you're insane.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

separate but equal

Hurk durk fine dining and McDonald's are the same market pfffffft

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

There better be Bigfoot

We already got bigfoot.

Bloodysabbath, I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. I've provided evidence, you're just guessing.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

Again, are we talking F2P shooters, MMOs with shooter elements, or stuff you pay $60 for? Are they lumping first person walking simulators in here? Of course they are -- it fits the agenda to not properly delineate the categories. It's a wide category of games and if you think 1/3 of CoD or GTA sales are coming from women, you're insane.

Hurk durk fine dining and McDonald's are the same market pfffffft

wooooooooooosh

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Holy poo poo this thread...:gas: now before its too late.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blue Raider posted:

It didnt help that like 9/10 Mexico missions make you ride from one end of it to another and holy hell was it long and its roads crooked

Crossing into Mexico for the first time might be my favorite moment ever in a video game, but holy hell was I glad when the Mexico chapter ended.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Red Dead Redemption does that really cool thing where they talk about people throughout the whole game but they never show you who they are. It kind of reminded me of Apocalypse Now in that they talk about your family for the whole game, but you don't even glimpse them until near the end of the game.

Edit: am I going crazy or didn't they release a kind of introductory movie for the game along side its release? Sort of similar to GTA San Andreas the introduction.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

wooooooooooosh

No genius, I get it, you respond with a single phrase to imply I'm racist or something.

Doesn't negate the idea of separate product classes within a category.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

blackguy32 posted:

Edit: am I going crazy or didn't they release a kind of introductory movie for the game along side its release? Sort of similar to GTA San Andreas the introduction.

It was promoted as a short film directed by John Hillcoat (who, at the time, was riding high due to The Proposition being loving amazing), but in reality, it was just a bunch of first-act cutscenes stitched together leading up to the attack on Fort Mercer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BexGu posted:

I sat in a saloon doing shots until my cowboy, a hero of the west, slid away from the bar and fell face first into a giant glass window shattering it. THe stunned patrons all jumped up at the commotion except for one extremely excited guy in the corner that yelled out, "Hey! That's John Marsten!"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It'll be funny tomorrow when the trailer ends and "FALL 2018" slowly fades onto the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Hobo Clown posted:

It'll be funny tomorrow when the trailer ends and "FALL 2018" slowly fades onto the screen

That's for the pc port :negative:

• Locked thread