Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any recommendations on cookbooks for middle-eastern or Mediterranean cooking? I picked up "Olives, Lemons, and Za'atar", and "My Cooking class: Middle Eastern Basics: 80 recipes step by step" and a couple others from the library and I love the way so many of these recipes involve a whole plethora of ingredients but often in very small quantities.

The "Middle Eastern Basics" book was especially fun because the photography of the ingredients is really spectacular. I assume this is a series of cookbooks with photos like this? I'd love to get a few!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kittenmittons posted:

Anything by Yotam Ottolenghi.
Wow, his stuff does look great I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

That said however, I'm leaning more toward Palestinian/Lebanese/etc types of ethnic cooking rather than Israeli cuisine.. Especially since it seems as though it's really up in the air whether or not Israelis or someone else invented and/or make the best hummus/etc - which seems to kind of be a big deal. So yeah, if it doesn't involve Israelis, I'd be very interested.

So basically I'm looking for traditional recipes and cookbooks written by minority groups which look to educate and spread their cuisine and the like, rather than "hey here's a British dude from Israel who's a boss on 'Middle Eastern cuisine'"...

I mean I can look up a recipe for collard greens but if it's by Paula Deen, welp

quote:

“They call it ‘The Hummus Wars’ when Lebanon accused the Israeli people of trying to steal hummus and make it their national dish, hummus became a symbol,” Ronit Vered a food journalist with Haaretz, in Tel Aviv tells us.

Fadi told us Lebanon tried to register hummus with the European Union with a protective Designation of Origin in the same way champagne is registered by France, parmesan by the Italians, and the Greeks lay claim to feta cheese. Fadi was asking the EU to ban the use of the word hummus by any other country than Lebanon. The Association of Industrialists called this campaign “Hands Off Our Dishes.”

Ari Ariel, Assistant Professor of Gastronomy at Boston University and author of the article “The Hummus War” has been following the battle for years now. He said part of the problem from the Lebanese perspective was most of the pre-packaged hummus in the world was being sold by Israeli companies.

In the end, the EU did not allow Lebanon to register the word “hummus” for their own.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 2, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is true though. coyo7e, if you want recipes from minority groups, guess what: Jews are a minority! Hell, they're more of a minority in the Middle East than the people you'd prefer to look at. But in any case, in addition to Ottolenghi's stuff, check out Classic Lebanese Cuisine by Al-Faqih (which has some nice pictures, too, albeit not in the neato style you asked about) and Rose Water and Orange Blossoms by Abood. Neither of them are Jews, which is great news not just for you but for everyone else who wants to avoid the chosen people in this era of Trump.
Not sure what your point is - are you saying that I'm mistaken and that "Jews Made Hummus - and It's Super Important to Bring up in lieu of nothing - becuase Trump Hates Jews"? If I'm mistaken I'd appreciate learning from you - instead of reading your sketchy pro-Israel posts which seem to be attacking my posts out of nowhere.. I mean you do have a strong history in this thread before jumping in to poo poo on me asking a question

And thanks for the recommendations on Jewish cookbooks - can we maybe go back to not-Jewish cookbooks involving cuisine which may or may not have ben invented and/or appropriated by jews?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Murgos posted:

Why does whether a Jew wrote a cookbook about a cuisine that Jews have been a part of for literal eons years have anything to do with the quality of the cook books recipes?

You sound like a massive racist.
Well at least you didn't accuse me of being a Nazi anti-Semite.. There is that! :D

But for real, how is one supposed to understand the cuisine of a group of people unless you go as far back to the real origins of that cuisine and why it came about, instead of just being satisfied with a co-opted version which has been filtered down through uncounted layers of indirection through time and tastes and availability of ingredients? You do the same thing with martial arts trainers - you try to find the best education which is as close to the source that you are looking for, as is possible.

Half of the cookbooks I've found are actually more about the history, geography, climate, regions, etc, than actual recipes - but understanding how the themes in this cuisine came about does kind of take a wider perspective than "this book has a killer recipe for beet salad" (the Lemon, Olives and Za'atar book has a killer beet salad recipe)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 19, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Murgos posted:

Your implication is that someones religion prevents them from having authentic recipes for a cuisine from the region where they live and their ancestors have lived for thousands of years.
Yes, feast your eyes on the rampant religious-based biases of which I began my request

coyo7e posted:

Any recommendations on cookbooks for middle-eastern or Mediterranean cooking? I picked up "Olives, Lemons, and Za'atar", and "My Cooking class: Middle Eastern Basics: 80 recipes step by step" and a couple others from the library and I love the way so many of these recipes involve a whole plethora of ingredients but often in very small quantities.

The "Middle Eastern Basics" book was especially fun because the photography of the ingredients is really spectacular. I assume this is a series of cookbooks with photos like this? I'd love to get a few!

coyo7e posted:

Wow, his stuff does look great I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

That said however, I'm leaning more toward Palestinian/Lebanese/etc types of ethnic cooking rather than Israeli cuisine.. Especially since it seems as though it's really up in the air whether or not Israelis or someone else invented and/or make the best hummus/etc - which seems to kind of be a big deal. So yeah, if it doesn't involve Israelis, I'd be very interested.

So basically I'm looking for traditional recipes and cookbooks written by minority groups which look to educate and spread their cuisine and the like, rather than "hey here's a British dude from Israel who's a boss on 'Middle Eastern cuisine'"...

I mean I can look up a recipe for collard greens but if it's by Paula Deen, welp
I mean hummus only became popular in Israel like what, 40 years ago? So should I just assume they're equally entitled to ownership of the cuisine?

If I were to go find a first-generation german-mexican, should he be my first go-to for salsa and huaraches recipes?

And Murgos? Delete your account.

quote:

Food appropriation is a big deal in the Middle East, where the adoption of falafel and hummus as Israel's national snacks is a point of contention for Palestinians. Sabra, however, is a BDS target for other reasons: The USA's top hummus manufacturer is owned by Strauss Group, an Israeli company with strong ties to the IDF. The corporation has "adopted" the Golani Brigade, an "elite unit" of the Israeli Army with a reputation for bad behavior that ranges "from revolts against commanders to abuse of Palestinians," according to Haaretz. Golani troops were on the front line in Operation Cast Lead, the 2008-9 assault on Gaza which killed some 1,400 Palestinians. Strauss, apparently, provided the lunches, exclaiming on its website that it provides "food products" for missions and "personal care packages for each soldier." After U.S. BDS groups targeted Sabra in 2010, Strauss removed the wording from its Corporate Social Responsibility pages. But it has said nothing of withdrawing its support for IDF troops.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Murgos posted:

Yes, awesome. You are a special snowflake. "So yeah, if it doesn't involve Israelis, I'd be very interested."
what do you look for in south african cuisine?

• Locked thread