Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Test Pattern posted:

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

I actually use the iOS app though I have the hard copy. Very simple recipes for a LOT of fundamental items, with variations or substitutions to make literally thousands of dishes. Nothing is truly spectacular or mind-blowing, but everything is nigh-bulletproof.

For pure convenience it's hard to beat the app and I got it for free from somewhere so for value it's just through the roof. That app and my CI Slow Cooker Revolution are easily my two most used cook books.

I agree that the recipes are pretty close to impossible to screw up since they are often just the bare minimum of ingredients and steps. That's absolutely not a criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There is a debate over who first ground up chick peas with olive oil and so therefore you don't want any isreali dishes?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

And thanks for the recommendations on Jewish cookbooks - can we maybe go back to not-Jewish cookbooks involving cuisine which may or may not have ben invented and/or appropriated by jews?

Why does whether a Jew wrote a cookbook about a cuisine that Jews have been a part of for literal eons years have anything to do with the quality of the cook books recipes?

You sound like a massive racist.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

But for real, how is one supposed to understand the cuisine of a group of people unless you go as far back to the real origins of that cuisine and why it came about, instead of just being satisfied with a co-opted version which has been filtered down through uncounted layers of indirection through time and tastes and availability of ingredients? You do the same thing with martial arts trainers - you try to find the best education which is as close to the source that you are looking for, as is possible.

Your implication is that someones religion prevents them from having authentic recipes for a cuisine from the region where they live and their ancestors have lived for thousands of years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

If I were to go find a first-generation german-mexican, should he be my first go-to for salsa and huaraches recipes?

Yes, awesome. You are a special snowflake. "So yeah, if it doesn't involve Israelis, I'd be very interested."

e: That Sabra has lovely political affiliations has pretty much nothing to do with anything.

e2: Pureed Chickpeas with various ingredients go back something like 700 to maybe as much as 1400 yeas in the Levant and Egypt. That a Lebanese activist is upset about it doesn't actually make it a Lebanese dish.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread