Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Neither of them are Jews, which is great news not just for you but for everyone else who wants to avoid the chosen people in this era of Trump.

heyyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo #rtatchaboi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I dunno where you guys started getting israel butthurt at, but coyo7e is right to a certain extent - and I look for the same thing when checking out cookbooks.

there's a difference between a type of cookbook that is "hey here's a British dude from Israel stylishly rocking some middle eastern recipes", and "hey here's an israeli who is devoted exclusively to the particular culinary history of his ethnic group" - and to the extent the existence of israel is a relatively new thing, I think that's a fair point to take into consideration.

a contrast I'd draw to maybe move it away from the kneejerk politics - in Indian cookery, Madhur Jaffrey vs Julie Sahni. The former is well to do, not hard line about where a recipe came from - so long as it generically fits in with the cuisine. The latter is, well, less well off - more concerned with explaining the history of her recipes and what is typical for a region historically, or borrowed from neighboring regions or cultures.

both acknowledge, for instance, that 'tiki masala' was a very strange western creation, but how they treat the subject is qualitatively different. And along those lines, I myself wouldn't really be interested in a cookbook written by an israeli that was just like 'here's how to make israeli hummus!!!', but would be interested in one written that went into the historical and regional variations on hummus recipes, how they've varied, possible influencers, etc.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 26, 2017

• Locked thread