Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

coyo7e posted:

Wow, his stuff does look great I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

That said however, I'm leaning more toward Palestinian/Lebanese/etc types of ethnic cooking rather than Israeli cuisine.. Especially since it seems as though it's really up in the air whether or not Israelis or someone else invented and/or make the best hummus/etc - which seems to kind of be a big deal. So yeah, if it doesn't involve Israelis, I'd be very interested.

So basically I'm looking for traditional recipes and cookbooks written by minority groups which look to educate and spread their cuisine and the like, rather than "hey here's a British dude from Israel who's a boss on 'Middle Eastern cuisine'"...

I mean I can look up a recipe for collard greens but if it's by Paula Deen, welp

Ottolenghi often collaborates with a Palestinian guy from Jerusalem in his books, and anyway Israeli cuisine is a part of Middle Eastern cuisine. He's not the expert on everything about it, but his cooking is an innovative take on a legit local food. Separately, Claudia Roden wrote some of the foundational cookbooks for the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Test Pattern posted:

Oh good it wasn't just me reading that in.

Yeah nope that's pretty much what I read there.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I bought the How to Cook Everything app. Does anyone have any personal favorite recipes from it?

The lamb couscous recipe! I make it regularly - only addition is that I usually add red wine for all or most of the cooking liquid.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

coyo7e posted:

But for real, how is one supposed to understand the cuisine of a group of people unless you go as far back to the real origins of that cuisine and why it came about, instead of just being satisfied with a co-opted version which has been filtered down through uncounted layers of indirection through time and tastes and availability of ingredients? You do the same thing with martial arts trainers - you try to find the best education which is as close to the source that you are looking for, as is possible.

It's a fallacy to assume that there is some sort of pure cultural heritage for any group that's unchanged over centuries, especially in the Middle East. Every ethnic and religious group in the region has exchanged commerce, culture, genetics, and ideas pretty much nonstop since they encountered one another. The "real origins" of any cuisine are impossible to find. Full stop. Every technique, ingredient, and practice for every dish is influenced by other cultures. Trying to find the pure roots of a given culture through its food is a fool's errand at best and usually ends up eliding the history of this cultural interplay by downplaying or denying the impact of other groups.

• Locked thread