Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hey, does anyone have any good recommendations for day hikes and longer in Australia and New Zealand? Any tips for hiking in the areas would be good too.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is the most popular day walk in New Zealand. It features spectacular views of the central North Island and the three volcanoes which dominate it. There is also the longer 3-4 day Tongariro Northern Circuit which includes most of the crossing. Be prepared for crowds on the crossing if the weather is good though, on some days it sees over 1000 people. In the South Island the Hooker Valley track is a spectacular and very easy half-day walk with great views of our highest mountain (Aoraki/Mt Cook) and the Hooker Glacier and its lake. There are several other shorter walks in the same area to fill out the rest of your day too. For longer South Island walks the only one I have done to date is the Kepler Track, a 3-4 day hike in the mountains and bush between lakes Te Anau and Manapouri in Fiordland. It is spectacular and I highly recommend it. Other longer hikes to look into include the other Great Walks. There are nine of these around the country (including Kepler and the Tongariro Northern Circuit, along with the famous Milford Track) showcasing some of our best scenery and generally well-maintained and marked tracks and huts. The huts and campsites do need to be booked in advance though, well in advance for the more popular ones - I had to book Kepler about 2 months ahead and Milford apparently gets booked out shortly after bookings open each year. Routeburn is supposed to be really good too and is probably the next one I'll do, assuming I can still book it for this summer. There are dozens of other tracks around the country too but as I'm a beginner at multi-day hikes I've stuck to the Great Walks so far and can't really tell you much about them except that the huts are more basic and a higher level of fitness and outdoor skills are required. I understand most of the huts are on a first-come first-served basis rather than booked like on the Great Walks. The Department of Conservation (DOC) website is a really useful resource for information (and booking) on all the hikes in New Zealand.

Also in general be aware that as an island nation our weather is prone to sudden and extreme changes even when the forecast is good, so always pack gear for all conditions, don't try to cross swollen rivers, tell someone where you're going etc. Common sense stuff but we still have tourists (or locals) get themselves killed in the wilderness from time to time so don't be a dumbass. More safety info on the DOC website.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 22, 2016

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The blue mountains are close to Sydney and quite beautiful.
Tasmania's gorgeous, there's one walk in the centre of the island you have to book in advance or you can go the southwest.
There's no infrastructure there though, so come prepared.
If you can tell us where you're going we can give more specific reccomendations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The Bibbulmun Track is one of the more famous Western Australian hiking routes. You might want to take a packed lunch It's about 1000 kilometers.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
If you're visiting Melbourne visit http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/walking

Just be aware some of these hikes could be 100's of kilometers from where you're staying.

Also Victoria has a lot of public/state forests that have plenty of not too well maintained tracks that no-one except hunters and trail bike riders use. If you're feeling adventurous the High Country is a great place to hike. http://themapmarket.cart.net.au/Rooftop-Maps-1 Great maps for those areas.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mt Barney and Binna Burra/Lamington NP are both good in Queensland. Tibrogargan and Beerwah are both good day trips.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/misty-mountains/ is a great track, loads of other tourist stuff to do in the area as well.

Far north queensland around cairns has a plethora of waterfalls you can walk to. It's like being in south east Asia except less poo poo on the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Tas is covered in great walks. It's true in the peak season you have to book and pay extra to do the Overland track but there's good reason it makes so many top walks in the world lists. The southwest track is still full on good old fashion gently caress up and die wilderness bushwalking, like fly into the start and walk out. Et had wine glass bay as a day walk and lots to see if you want to spend a few days but you have to pack your own water as there's none on the peninsula. Frenchman's cap is a great walk so is mount Anne, the walls of Jerusalem, Arthur's River my god now I miss the place. Spend a week on Mariha island or go see the candle stick or totem pole. There's a new track called the 3 capes I think but I've never done it and I think it costs like the Overland. I'll do an effort post when I'm not on my phone sorry for the block of text.

• Locked thread