Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Toledo Walleye are cool and good, and you should come see them.

Also totally gonna get out to a Monsters game sometime this year :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That NWA show had to own :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I was thinking if going to the Flyers/Wings game at the Joe this year, but Toledo's on the road that weekend.

Ooh I didn't realize that was a weekend game this year. I may try to get up to that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Walleye win home opener in OT :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why is it (and Hockles, you might know the answer being in AHL game ops) the AHL and ECHL always/usually have an announcement at the end of a PK that the "(Team name) are at full strength"? Is it for situational awareness for the less-experienced players? I've only seen it in the NHL when an in-arena clock malfunctions for some reason.

It happens in college too. I think it's cool.

Plus a lot of places have chants to go with it. "[visiting team] back at full strength" is often met with "THAT'S DEBATABLE" from the crowd, which I love.

E: I'm guessing it's just a hold over from older days. I wanna say I remember hearing it at some Red Wings games I went to as a kid back in the 80s.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 25, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Walleye games have announcements at basically every whistle, largely sponsorship reads and the like.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo doing 16-bit night on saturday hell yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm trying to follow a team in every pro league in North America

Which SPHL team do I hitch my wagon to?

Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs is a world class nickname. Followed closely by the Fayetteville Fireantz

That Z makes it extra rad.

E: holy poo poo I thought the Peoria Rivermen sounded familiar. They've been in like every league :stare:

Wiki posted:

Peoria Rivermen is the name of four minor league hockey clubs:

Peoria Rivermen (IHL), 1984–1996
Peoria Rivermen (ECHL), 1996–2005
Peoria Rivermen (AHL), 2005–2013
Peoria Rivermen (SPHL), 2013–present

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

teddy bear tosses own so hard

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Probably the teams leading scorer. Some leagues use gold helmets

It's this. It owns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The walleye are off to a 16-3 start, the best in the history of any Toledo franchise. :coolfish:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

3 on 3 OT is one of the best things to happen in hockey lately. I'm glad it's spreading

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Is there a more idiotic argument than 'size' in this day and age? The guy scores from inside the crease every time. He's gonna be an utter pest at the NHL level.

Um excuse me the phrase is "big body presence" :pseudo:

Jacob MacDonald did a sick nasty thing. Also I see you there Cal Heeter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

The US is notorious for favoring junior players that stay in the US over players that go to Canada to play in the CHL. This is incredibly retarded because the CHL has a much higher profile than any US-based junior league and therefore the best players will go to the CHL to play.

Yeah the closest thing in the states is probably the NCAA but college hockey's overall quality is pretty rough these days, save for like 5 teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I spent half an hour reading a bunch of articles and apparently it's also because parent teams just want their minor league affiliates closer to home so that assigning and recalling players is a lot easier. Which makes sense, but drat, I don't like it

Yeah, Detroit has had an awesome setup for a while now. Their AHL team is 2 hours west in Grand Rapids, and their ECHL team is an hour south in Toledo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:laffo: that owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO4yIepDdOm/

Toledo is doing a "Rocky" themed night. The jerseys are gloriously hideous.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

larkko posted:

Juhamatti Aaltonen is lazy and floaty as hell but when he's on, he's on:

http://imgur.com/a/0kBVW

Probably one of the greatest solo goals this season in Liiga.

that defending :stonk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/LVPhantoms/status/824444088690868224

holy poo poo hahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

minor leagues own

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

The Walleyes' PA guy is filling in here tonight.

Oh that's awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If it's Bellino, yeah he can be quick at times.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crowd brawlin' in the NBJHL!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

For those of you who care, and can't decipher his GDT posts, the Monsters ended the 1st period down 3-0, and came back to won 6-3. Milano had an amazing goal off the goalie's back/helmet from behind the goalline. It might be on Sportscenter Top 10 if they decide minor league hockey is good enough during March Madness.

that's rad as hell

go a monsters

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Context, that's Michigan Tech winning the WCHA conference championship in double overtime, sending them on to the NCAA tournament. Bowling green, their opponent, hasn't been in a conference championship game since 1988 and hasn't been in the NCAA tourney since 1990.

On top of that, 2 years ago they missed the tournament by .0002 pairwise points.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kilza posted:

Bad NHL goalie Jonas Gustavsson actually got credit for a goal tonight in the AHL:
https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/845494173050388484

Holy poo poo a goal credited from a save, that's a new one.

E: I've seen goals from goalies shooting directly, or just firing it around the boards then the opponent fucks it up and throws it into the net, but right off a save is kinda great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOU ESSAY
YOU ESSAY
YOU ESSAY

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo's Tyson Spink is the ECHL rookie of the year :cool:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Sucks for his identical twin brother who put up one more point

And finished 2nd in voting! :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tonight renews the Toledo Walleye's tradition of cruising to the ECHL conference finals and losing tragically. :confuoot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Walleye win game 1

Get owned, Kalamazoo

:coolfish:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cross-posting:

Phantoms goalie Anthony Stolarz is confirmed out for the entire AHL playoffs. Lyon will get the start and they've called up Carter Hart from the Silvertips to be Lyon's backup. Martin Ouellette goes back to Reading.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

Holy poo poo. What caused him to go off like that? I can't even see the slightest reason.

Toledo jumped on Kalamazoo early, they were frustrated and taking a ton of bad penalties. That though, jesus...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might be a lifetime or season ban. I'd lump it in with Todd Bertuzzi, Dale Hunter, and McSorely.

Yeah it was awful. He was given 5+10+game in the moment. I don't think the ECHL has handed anything down yet. This was game 2 and game 3 in Kalamazoo isn't until Tuesday so I'd imagine they won't hand anything down until maybe tomorrow afternoon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So to follow up on this, the Walleye filed an official grievance with the ECHL over the incident. While it's obviously pretty clear-cut, give the league a little credit becuase they actually responded pretty quickly and decisively.

ECHL posted:

Kalamazoo’s Ben Wilson has been suspended indefinitely and fined an undisclosed amount stemming from an incident that occurred that ECHL Playoff Game #E-2, Kalamazoo at Toledo, on April 15.

There will no further comment from the ECHL until a later date.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo and Kalamazoo have played a fairly entertaining defense-optional series (4-3, 4-1, 4-6, 5-8, 2-3, 3-4) and have game 7 tonight. go fish

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

c'mon walleye :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: KYLE BONIS MOTHER FUCKERS :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

boooo tied :mad:

• Locked thread