Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Team Canada announced its invites to WJC camp. Only one draft eligible player this year (Nolan Patrick).

http://www.tsn.ca/barzal-strome-among-world-junior-camp-invitees-1.619303

No real stars on there, but Team Canada will be incredibly deep and the team to beat again this year. No Jake Virtanens to ruin it for everybody either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nolan Patrick is still hurt and won't play in the WJC.

All hail your new Swiss god and future first overall pick Nico Hischier!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

DeBrincat up to 60 in 28, Eerie is like 23-6, and it really annoys me that Chicago got him

Is there a more idiotic argument than 'size' in this day and age? The guy scores from inside the crease every time. He's gonna be an utter pest at the NHL level.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHnQQhWQVA

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who's the best non-prospect guy in the world without NHL experience?

Craig Button from TSN just posted an article on the best players not in the NHL right now. One or two have a bit of experience, but for the most part they're all as yet untested. His top ten was:

1. Clayton Keller (ARI)
2. Alex Nylander (BUF)
3. Thomas Chabot (OTT)
4. Dylan Strome (ARI)
5. Kiril Kaprizov (MIN)
6. Jess Puljujarvi (EDM)
7. Kyle Connor (WPG)
8. Brock Boeser (VAN)
9. Charlie McAvoy (BOS)
10. Phillipe Myers (PHI)

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389

From that list Chabot, Strome, Puljujarvi and Connor have had a cup of coffee in the NHL (just the one game for Chabot). I'm not 100% sold on those rankings (or the concept of rankings across positions in general), but it's a decent list.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/836625843216596992

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

100% size

To be fair he is very little.

His style of play isn't at all that of a small perimeter guy where size starts to become an issue at the higher level. His game is 100% bum rushing the net or banging in pucks from three feet out. He might have a bit of a transition to the pros as the guys consistently get stronger, but he's so agile and shifty that he's never really had a problem slipping by some of the tougher/better guys in the OHL so far. There's a very good chance he'll be at least a consistent 20 goal guy in the NHL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There is no good reason that Jason Robertson isn't in the top five, let alone the top 31.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I can think of one.

Surviving two full years in Kingston without succumbing to complete ennui should RAISE his draft status, not lower it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Toledo's Tyson Spink is the ECHL rookie of the year :cool:

Sucks for his identical twin brother who put up one more point

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

That would've been fantastic.

In Fronts news, they're one game away from being swept in the 2nd round again.

I would like to reiterate my point that Jason Robertson should be a top 5 pick. He's been in on 16 of the 26 goals they've scored so far in the playoffs.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 12, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

He was leading the O in playoff scoring before the last set of games. I found a new place to watch junior hockey so I've gotten a chance to watch a few games and he doesn't seem to skate so good. I dunno if any Serious People have written about him.

Also he's a Front so no matter how good he is something horrible will befall him and he will bust.

Nope, he's not a good skater but I wouldn't say completely terrible. I've seen far worse at the same age go on to have successful careers (Lucic springs to mind, so does Jamie Benn). He's a power forward, it would be noteworthy if he was a good skater at his age.

The fact of the matter is he's scoring at an essentially unprecedented rate. He contributed a higher % of his team's offence than any other draft eligible player in the CHL this year. He factored into 47.2% of his team's goals this year. No one bettered that in 2016 (DeBrincat was the best at 45.05%). In 2015 only McDavid (55.5%) and Marner (49.8%) exceeded that. Adjusted out to a full season, Hischier only managed 45.8% and Patrick was a ways off at 40.4%.

Those are essentially first overall pick numbers. I'm not saying that Robertson should be a first overall pick, there's obvious deficiencies in his game and scouts can pick up things that numbers can't tell you. With that said, his offensive contribution this year is so significant it can't be ignored IMO. It's not like he's some 5'7" 140lbs guy who was 3 days past the age cut off for the 2016 draft. He's a late birthday (July 1999) and he's 6'2 200lbs. This guy could turn into a real power forward. Hell, watching him he reminds me a ton of Jamie Benn.

Is he sure to be a star, no definitely not. His skating is bad and his he doesn't really have much of a mind for defence. However, odds on he'll be a regular NHLer in some capacity and quite likely a good one. Given his size and skillset, a wonky skating style can be overlooked. Given the right coaching he could be a dominant power winger. Guys like that are more than worth a top ten pick IMO. There are a lot of guys his size that put up 55pts in their draft year that get taken in the top 15. I have no idea why he's being overlooked this year.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

I wish I could flag the Leafs to Veleno because that guy's nuts.

Really? For a player with exceptional status he's been very underwhelming from a production perspective. As it stands right now, he's probably not even a top 5 pick next year. He's looking even less impressive than Sean Day in that regard. Then again, I don't watch him kn a regular basis. What stands out about him?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just in case you were wondering why we haven't seen a gay hockey player yet:

quote:

When Anderson-Dolan was going through the WHL bantam draft process, some teams told him and his family they would not take him because of his two mothers.

Anderson-Dolan, with the talent to be picked in the top five of the draft, slipped all the way to No. 14 to Spokane.

“I can’t change people’s opinions. If that’s how they feel about it, I’d honestly rather not be in that organization if they’re going to be like that,” Jaret said. “I’d rather be in an organization with the Chiefs where they support it completely.

“Maybe that ended up with me falling in the draft a little bit, but I don’t really care, honestly.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/01/nothing-about-chiefs-jaret-anderson-dolan-is-ordin/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 2002 born kids are being drafted into the WHL right now so we're getting some real gems from the early days of the unique name movement.

Can't wait until a guy with no vowels in his first name scores a goal in the NHL. KRZ sounds like an airport code.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Are Binghamton and Belleville new teams or just reworking logos?

Relocations. The Sens moved their farm team from Binghamton to Belleville (which is closer to Ottawa) and the Devils moved their team from Albany to Binghamton because it's a better hockey market.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not quite sure how Belleville will work as Yardman Arena has international sized ice.

e: NM they're doing an arena upgrade that will make it NHL sized

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am so sorry Stretch. :smith:

Erie has the Memorial Cup record with 12 goals and Strome has the points record at 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah yes, the beautiful sight of a team eliminated in the first round of the playoffs winning the Memorial Cup. Truly they are the best team in the CHL this year.

What a silly tournament.

Also the Canucks' prospect narrative has begun and apparently recent CHL UFA signing Jalen Chatfield who played a shutdown role with Windsor this year just might be good enough to make the NHL next year. Wow! He's the next Cole Cassels after a performance like that!

• Locked thread