Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Despite all other aspects of this poo poo hole city being awful we can consistently put together good QMJHL teams. Saint John is once again at the top of the Q. I watched this team trounce Charlottetown 8 - 2 the other day. I think this team might be able to make a good Memorial run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hockles posted:

I'm legitimately amazed the puck moves at all. Whenever the ice is still wet after a Zamboni resurfacing, the ice stops dead when it hits a puddle.

I think once it hits that point the puck is less sliding on ice as it is hydroplaning along.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Once again, the Saint John Sea Dogs are at the top of the Q. But we'll never get to host the Memorial Cup.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

How does Veleno look?

I haven't seen too many games this year but from what I've seen he's been pretty good. Checking out his stats and he seems to be pulling his weight. Saint John has always had good drafting so I'm sure he'll probably pan out like Hoffman and Huberdeau.

I'm kind of surprised that Highmore hasn't been drafted. He's been great for us the last few years.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 20, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

At least the Sea Dogs are good. 43 - 14 - 5 and probably going to curb stomp whoever they get in the first in the round like last year.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John apparently just power ranked themselves up to the top of the CHL. So that's cool.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Watched the Seadogs bounce Halifax tonight 5 - 3. Chabot had a ridiculous goal where D'Orio (our goalie) gave him a pass at the blue line and he just walked through 3 guys and put it perfectly over the shoulder of Gravel.

If SJ wins on Wednesday they clinch first overall.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ gunna win the President's and possibly also the Memorial Cup. Veleno also had a goal tonight with a really nice tip and was buzzing around pretty well, in case you were wondering Hand Knit.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Here's all the goals from last night's game. Chabot is a cool and good hockey kid. I think I was sitting by his parents.

To give you an idea where I was sitting, when you see Reginato's goal I'm 5 rows up from the Canaport ad. I had great seats for all these goals.

-e-

I just realised that SJ has literally over a 100 more goals for than against.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 12, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
But we can't possibly let Thomas Chabot take the last shoot out shot.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
With a win over Moncton, Saint John has claimed first overall for the playoffs and is apparently the 4th time they have done so.

Chabot also just past Bealieu's most points by a defenceman mark for the Seadogs.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The Sea Dogs beat Halifax for their final game and finish the season with 102 points. Veleno and Imama both scored. So good.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
So SJ beat Rimouski 9 - 2 in their opening game.

Spencer Smallman had a hat trick, Mathieu Joseph got 2, and Veleno also scored.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ wins 4 -1 in game 2.

Chabot had two goals which included a 100+ foot ENG.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ takes a 3 - 0 series lead with a 5 - 2 win. They outshot Rimouski 38 - 12

Click here to see the high lights. Veleno scores and Boko Imama got a pair himself.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Simon Bourque scores the game winner on his old team as SJ sweeps Rimouski

Chabot and Imama scored as well.

Halifax beat Rouyn-Noranda again which will be a pretty funny upset if Halifax takes them down.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ beat Val-d'Or 2 - 1 in OT but out shot them 68 - 14.

Check this bonkers pass from Nathan Noel to Sam Dove-McFalls to end the game last night. Holy crap.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 8, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ goes up 2 - 0 with a 4 - 1 win. They out shot Val-d'Or 54 - 18 this time.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ takes game three 7 - 3 and out shot Val-d'Or 59 - 19.

Hopefully they can complete the sweep tomorrow. Unfortunately everyone else is much closer so if SJ does win they might be off for awhile.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John completes the sweep with a 7 - 1 mugging in Val-d'Or.

SOG: 45 - 19

Joe Veleno scored twice including a short-handed goal and Specer Smallman got a hattrick.

Thus ended the nightmare of Etienne Montpetit.

Also the Titan wrecked the Armada 7 - 2 and Chicoutimi did much the same to Rouyn-Noranda 6 - 1. Charlottetown barely beat Cape Breton 4 -3 in first OT. With the exception of Charlottetown I don't see anyone else beating the Sea Dogs.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Charlottetown swept Cape Breton last night. If it wasn't for the divisions, the Islanders would have finished 2nd seed. They're really the only team I'm nervous about. Bathurst might take down the Armada which would be somewhat cool. The Huskies are making GBS threads the bed again. If they make it out of this round I don't see them continuing through the next.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I think he was overreacting to whoever he was assaulting jabbing at the puck while the goalie was covering.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Chicoutimi upset Rouyn-Noranda yesterday with a game 7 OT win and the Armada decided to wait till game 7 to curb stomp the Titan. This means both the 2nd and 3rd seeds have bounced and leaves Saint John (1) and Charlottetown (4) as the only remaining Maritime teams. While stranger poo poo has happened this post season I still see the Sea Dogs getting by the Saguenéens. I think the Islanders are going to beat the Armada and are really the only team I'm nervous about. The only reason the Islanders were the 4th seed is because Saint John was the first.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John and Charlottetown go up 1 - 0 in their respective series. I still think it'll be an all Maritime finals.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

checksin posted:

This would rule

I agree. Right now this is the first time a PEI team has made it out of the second round. I think the level of management has increased out here and a lot of Maritime teams are able to consistently field good teams every two years or so. Saint John is going to lose I think 5 veterans this off season due to age restrictions but the younger players have shown they can fill the voids. SJ winning a 3rd Presidents trophy in 6 years is pretty good. A second Memorial would be better of course.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ lost game 2 for their first playoff loss this year. Hoping for better luck and more shots this game. The Islanders and Armada have been pretty evenly matched thus far so it might come down to the wire.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
After losing in overtime in game two, Saint John decided it was time to start playing again and beat Chicoutimi 5 - 0. Good times.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

NomChompsky posted:

Maybe I've not seen enough hockey in my life of watching a lot of hockey but tonight I saw something I've never seen. One of the checkers started punching Wolves after the horn, when the game was officially over, right before they were all supposed to shake hands, screaming "YOU DIDN'T WIN THIS GAME!!!" as they dragged him away.

Suspend forever imho.

I don't care about emotions when it comes to that sort of thing. If it's not legal to do outside the arena don't loving do it in inside.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
That's why I find Junior hockey somewhat sad. You watch these players do their thing for like 5 years in your city and then either get drafted or shafted. Everyone that gets drafted you hope does well just because you watched them as kids. I have the feeling that this year's Sea Dogs team has a lot of them. A bunch of the vets are drafted but it'll be something for them to make the NHL I think.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

T-Bone posted:

Alberta is also really good, they and UNB could play with any NCAA team.

(and goes without saying that they would crush any CHL team)

I'm somewhat surprised honestly by how well UNB tends to do.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John repeats history by stomping Chicoutimi after losing to them in overtime. This time 4 - 0. Good news BAS, BHAS, SenAS, and Hand KnitAS, Zboril, Noel, Chabot, and Veleno all scored.

Hopefully the Islanders can pull out the next three games.

Also whoever came up with the playoff schedule should be shot. Friday: CHI @ SNB; Saturday: BLB @ CHA; Sunday: SNB @ CHI, CHA@BLB. I know they're kids but it seems kind of dumb to schedule a home and home back to back in the play offs. I'm assuming some sort of concert or something is what made it that way but it still seems dumb.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Appreciate all these updates from the Q man, I'm pumped as hell about Chabot

No worries. Yeah I'm jealous. He's a cannon.

I wish I could flag the Leafs to Veleno because that guy's nuts.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

ThinkTank posted:

Really? For a player with exceptional status he's been very underwhelming from a production perspective. As it stands right now, he's probably not even a top 5 pick next year. He's looking even less impressive than Sean Day in that regard. Then again, I don't watch him kn a regular basis. What stands out about him?

He gets a lot of assists because he's fast and has good hand skills. I'd say he's a poor man's Marner. He's not amazeballs but I honestly wouldn't be upset with him on the team though I'd want him to do a proper stint with the Marlies.

Here are the high lights from the game, it has a couple examples of what Veleno can do. But seriously watch Chabot. He skates in, undresses the defense, shoots, picks up his own rebound in the corner, undresses the defense again, skates into the slot and scores. Completely unassisted.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The real test for whether Veleno will pan out will be next season when most of the current top players leave and Saint John goes through the usual good - lovely cycle. Luckily so far management has been competent to draft and run the team through these cycles properly.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I am sad to say that the Islanders won't be moving on. This is still the best they've ever done and their team is still really good. If SJ wins tomorrow I think the Armada will give them a good run but I still think SJ is the better team.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John wins and moves on to the finals with a game we can potentially call hockey win 6 - 5 with 6 goals in the 3rd.

Veleno, Chabot, Zboril, and Imama all scored with Imama getting the winner.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Wonderllama posted:

Any chance imama can play NHL, in like a fourth line role? Asking for a friend.

I really like Imama. He's a big dude and leans on everyone and has a really nice shot. He kind of reminds me of Ovechkin in that he's incredibly energetic and makes other players poo poo themselves when he comes flying in. I don't think he'll ever be better than a 3rd line guy but I could see him make it if he puts the effort in. Which I think he can out of most of the veterans.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
In a weird coincidence all three CHL leagues finished their semi-finals on the same night to decide their respective champions.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It was a good day for Canada and therefore the World Hockey Championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
SJ wins the first game of the Q Championship with a score of 6 - 3. Shots were 28 - 27.

Good start, boys. Let's see if Seattle can start an upset.

• Locked thread