Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fits posted:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/10/22/jonah-imoo-to-be-backed-up-by-father-dusty/

apparently dusty imoo was the starting goalie for japan at the nagano olympics for what thats worth

Was that the competition where Forsberg had 14 pts against Japan or a different one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

St. Dogbert posted:

So, apparently one of the Sudbury Wolves hauled off and belted a linesman in the game against Niagara tonight?

Given how volatile hockey players can be when poo poo doesn't go their way and how moody teenagers can sometimes be, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

And he's got 17 games to go. He keeps up his pace, he'll finish with about 139 pts. Pretty sure Erie's gonna win the league.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who's the best non-prospect guy in the world without NHL experience?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

His style of play isn't at all that of a small perimeter guy where size starts to become an issue at the higher level. His game is 100% bum rushing the net or banging in pucks from three feet out. He might have a bit of a transition to the pros as the guys consistently get stronger, but he's so agile and shifty that he's never really had a problem slipping by some of the tougher/better guys in the OHL so far. There's a very good chance he'll be at least a consistent 20 goal guy in the NHL.

Steve Sullivan 2.0, sounds like.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Nope, he's not a good skater but I wouldn't say completely terrible. I've seen far worse at the same age go on to have successful careers (Lucic springs to mind, so does Jamie Benn). He's a power forward, it would be noteworthy if he was a good skater at his age.

The fact of the matter is he's scoring at an essentially unprecedented rate. He contributed a higher % of his team's offence than any other draft eligible player in the CHL this year. He factored into 47.2% of his team's goals this year. No one bettered that in 2016 (DeBrincat was the best at 45.05%). In 2015 only McDavid (55.5%) and Marner (49.8%) exceeded that. Adjusted out to a full season, Hischier only managed 45.8% and Patrick was a ways off at 40.4%.

Those are essentially first overall pick numbers. I'm not saying that Robertson should be a first overall pick, there's obvious deficiencies in his game and scouts can pick up things that numbers can't tell you. With that said, his offensive contribution this year is so significant it can't be ignored IMO. It's not like he's some 5'7" 140lbs guy who was 3 days past the age cut off for the 2016 draft. He's a late birthday (July 1999) and he's 6'2 200lbs. This guy could turn into a real power forward. Hell, watching him he reminds me a ton of Jamie Benn.

Is he sure to be a star, no definitely not. His skating is bad and his he doesn't really have much of a mind for defence. However, odds on he'll be a regular NHLer in some capacity and quite likely a good one. Given his size and skillset, a wonky skating style can be overlooked. Given the right coaching he could be a dominant power winger. Guys like that are more than worth a top ten pick IMO. There are a lot of guys his size that put up 55pts in their draft year that get taken in the top 15. I have no idea why he's being overlooked this year.

I also wondered why he was so low, although I didn't realize he was THAT productive. Could have another Owen Nolan on our hands, although he went #1....

Maybe he'll fall to Calgary. MUHAHAHAHA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

Adam Krause with some amazing individual effort tonight took a 4-3 third period into a 5-4 WBS win and lead to this:

https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/853451218160668672

His first goal was pretty sweet:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/853417473185652736

That's just patience right there. He outwaited that goalie and basically pretended the guy on him did not exist.

Also, Ben Wilson tried to kill a dude

https://twitter.com/SportsiCohn/sta...-150755723.html

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mage_Boy posted:

Holy poo poo. What caused him to go off like that? I can't even see the slightest reason.

According to the article, he didn't like how close he was getting to their goalie? Not much of a justification.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Toledo jumped on Kalamazoo early, they were frustrated and taking a ton of bad penalties. That though, jesus...

Might be a lifetime or season ban. I'd lump it in with Todd Bertuzzi, Dale Hunter, and McSorely.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

That's why I find Junior hockey somewhat sad. You watch these players do their thing for like 5 years in your city and then either get drafted or shafted. Everyone that gets drafted you hope does well just because you watched them as kids. I have the feeling that this year's Sea Dogs team has a lot of them. A bunch of the vets are drafted but it'll be something for them to make the NHL I think.

Like half my rationale for wanting Theo Fleury in the HOF is "He played for Moose Jaw". I'm also still mad at Quebec for not giving Rob Reimer more of a chance.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

I don't get why people shun minor leagues so much. The prices are much more reasonable, and while you're not seeing the ULTIMATE TALENT in that sport, you're still likely to get a good game.

Plus depending on the league, you might be seeing future big leaguers. I loved living a WHL town (that's junior, but the conceit of seeing future stars still holds true). I got to see Joe Sakic, Theo Fleury, Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney and Scott Niedermayer play their junior hockey.

I wish we'd gotten gov't assistance to build the arena so we could be Winnipeg's AHL team. It'd have been cool.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 28, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

We applied for it to build the arena, then tried to raise the funds on our own. It's not gonna happen anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hope he burns the league to the loving ground with his play. Unacceptable.

• Locked thread