Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is it node? is it js? why does everyone love it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
noddle my noodle

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
node.js: just say nope.js

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
you know how everyone agrees that javascript was a major mistake but concedes that we're just stuck with it?

node.js is the 'im an accelerationist' of that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

node.js lets you use modern js on the server.

these guys who keep knocking it haven't touched JS since like 1998 and don't realize it's good now. probably a bunch of java and php developers

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's nonblocking

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it's a good way to start plunging down the rabbit hole to hell that is modern "web" ""development""

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
npm install my balls in your face

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
node.js aka "dijkstra's worst nightmare"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

it's good

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you find yourself stuck in software development but would rather be a surgeon specializing in exotic gastric bypasses, nodejs is the tech for you!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

if you find yourself stuck in software development but would rather be a surgeon specializing in exotic gastric bypasses, nodejs is the tech for you!

if you find yourself doing boring enterprise poo poo in java but would rather work on cutting edge web application backends then noejs is the tech for you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i do not want to work with children ty

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
node dot jizz if you catch my drift

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im not a software developer but i seriously dont understand how javascript is now a full blown programming language

javascript

that thingy that made animations bounce in my browser 10 years ago

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
here is how it goes:
- frontend team hires idiot senior js devs to build new shiny
- existing xml-based apis prove too difficult for special js snowflakes, who prefer json despite their only tool being xmlhttprequest
- "json is just javascript, look how easy the frontend development will be now!" says the pm with his powerpoint slides, ceo claps
- years pass
- backend team hires idiot junior devs to build new functionality, and they only know js
- hey the api is json! why don't we just use node.js, look at all these libraries, and no training is needed!

this is why json is a scourge and shaggar is absolutely right about xml
HOWEVER
soap and wsdl are such unmitigated nonsense that even folks who know better will choose the "restful" (lol sure) json api

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

JewKiller 3000 posted:

here is how it goes:
- existing xml-based apis prove too difficult for special js snowflakes, who prefer json despite their only tool being xmlhttprequest
- "json is just javascript, look how easy the frontend development will be now!" says the pm with his powerpoint slides, ceo claps
- years pass
- backend team hires idiot junior devs to build new functionality, and they only know js
- hey the api is json! why don't we just use node.js, look at all these libraries, and no training is needed!

HOWEVER
soap and wsdl are such unmitigated nonsense that even folks who know better will choose the "restful" (lol sure) json api

are you saying that there are people who can't deal with xml or json or changing between the two

if you are, those people need to report to the mulching facility right now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
web designer workfare

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

here is how it goes:
- years pass

HOWEVER

i used to work with really terrible software in 2008-2009 that was all about soap/xml crap and now everything i deal with is json so i guess this is correct

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
did you know? node.js is actually a .exe?!?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
like i guess react.js and angular.js and elevator.js and fartscroll.js are actual javascript framedoesn'tworks that are javascript that you run

node.js is an interpreter

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
modern js owns

good stuff:
react is really fuckin good
stuff that works with react like semantic-UI-react are good
the node environment lets you build a p dece dev environment with rapid feedback

lovely things:
webpack and babel and all the good stuff are a giant pain in the rear end to setup
not making GBS threads commands into your system install means dumb invocation via node_modules/.bin
flux as a data model is just a basic event model suggestion and the implementations are a graveyard of abandoned git repos
dumb libraries still using legacy javascript implementation for importing libraries

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
don't use JavaScript in the backend though, that's a trick

use a proper language with nice testing libraries

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's very bad i think

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Js is number 51 on the periodic table of the elements

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
a miserable pile of secrets

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Necc0 posted:

you know how everyone agrees that javascript was a major mistake but concedes that we're just stuck with it?

node.js is the 'im an accelerationist' of that

lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i recently went down the hatred hole of typescript

it's a trap, don't go there

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

jony ive aces posted:

did you know? node.js is actually a .exe?!?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
recently had to delve a bit more into js after some time with c++

i can't imagine anyone writing in js actually being proud of their code tbh. i mean, why even give a poo poo, right?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
comode.js

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
JS is for the win!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

goodcode.js

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a miserable pile of callbacks

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

node.js is a case study of what happens when sensible people don't allow front-end web "developers" anywhere near an actual server, so they just create a "server" of their own and expect the rest of us not to laugh.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.eoksly1ls

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

this poo poo is why i 'nope' as hard as i can any time a recruiter even hints at front-end dev

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Necc0 posted:

this poo poo is why i 'nope' as hard as i can any time a recruiter even hints at front-end dev

yeah, if you can't hack it you might as well stay away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it's React, which is not a framework

• Locked thread