Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

this is a stupid article and it makes tons of bad points along with the good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i did a test last week that had a few "whats the correct syntax for this in javascript" questions

like is it "if i != 5", "if (i != 5)", "if (i <> 5)"

i always picked the java syntax cos hey its right in the name did i do right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

butthurt webdevs itt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its got the async special sauce

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

async special sauce

mods

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is a stupid article and it makes tons of bad points along with the good ones
looks p. accurate 2 me in regards to web "developers" who can't tie their shoes without a framework

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if Node.js is so bad then why is it so popular, smart guy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e. ehhh

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 19, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more like, experience with front-end "developers" who hack a dozen frameworks but then throw up their hands at 100 lines of direct JS, have shown me its accuracy

i would have taken a job anywhere to get within interviewing distance of microsoft & have no regrets

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

apologies, stressed and sick, was a misdirection. but the article is a ridiculous strawman that only reaffirms negative opinion of the technology without saying anything valuable

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

web dave

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

looks p. accurate 2 me in regards to web "developers" who can't tie their shoes without a framework

they could write their own but it would be riddled with browser compatibility errors, accessibility issues, security holes, and display port issues. you need a framework so that you don't have to memorize thousands of special cases just to make a button that works the same for everyone

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
theres a pretty big difference between using a framework because it solves portability issues that you currently have, and using one because you literally have no idea what the heck is going on with javascript

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

they could write their own but it would be riddled with browser compatibility errors, accessibility issues, security holes, and display port issues. you need a framework so that you don't have to memorize thousands of special cases just to make a button that works the same for everyone
remember back when a button was just a <button>

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

theres a pretty big difference between using a framework because it solves portability issues that you currently have, and using one because you literally have no idea what the heck is going on with javascript

Gazpacho posted:

I present to you a dream of a future where nobody has any reason to know JavaScript

that dream is already a reality for many devs today

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Zamujasa posted:

remember back when a button was just a <button>
<input type="button">

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I present to you a dream of a future where nobody has any reason to know JavaScript

that dream is already a reality for many devs today
A kid transfers into a class from another elementary school. The teacher asks him if he can read and write. The kid says "I can write but I can't read." So the teacher dictates something for him to write, then looks at the page and says "what is this?" The kid says "I don't know, I told you I can't read "

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

A kid transfers into a class from another elementary school. The teacher asks him if he can read and write. The kid says "I can write but I can't read." So the teacher dictates something for him to write, then looks at the page and says "what is this?" The kid says "I don't know, I told you I can't read "

yeah, but we're talking about web pages here,

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

node.js is fine

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

This was a good larf. I am glad our front-end developers stray from node but they're dangerously close to getting there. :smith:

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
we ended up hiring three node jockeys who made a bunch of micro services using roughly three thousand frameworks of which half are no longer maintained. after a year they moved on to more cutting edge things (I suppose) and quit

their code, however, lives on in infamy

it's not because it's bad code it's just that node.js with it's myriad of fast moving frameworks is really hard to maintain if you don't standardize

ymmv

we still do micro services, we still sometimes do them in node.js, it's quick to get started and it's a nightmare for someone else to maintain

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

master of the sea posted:

micro services ... in node.js

:stonk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jony ive aces posted:

<input type="button">

<input type="submit"> would be more needs suiting for most people but why do that when you can do <span class="janky-js-button" data:fart="{'butt':'fart'}">click me</span> or whatever the javascript version is

you can't spell node without no

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
yeah i literally forgot that it was submit, it's been a while :allears:

then i remembered it after posting and edited it, but then i found out button was kind of a thing as well and edited it back for some reason

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh no if i don't use the latest javacript thing then this dumb button will be 1 pixel further away from the other stupid button on internet explorer 9, what a catastrophe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I remember when the purpose of web development was to poo poo out some html for web browsers to render.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

master of the sea posted:

it's quick to get started and it's a nightmare for someone else to maintain

this is what im discovering

also typescript is good

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

quote:

If there's one thing web developers love, it's knowing better than conventional wisdom, but conventional wisdom is conventional for a reason: that poo poo works. Something's been bothering me for a while about this node.js nonsense, but I never took the time to figure it out until I read this butthurt post from Ryan Dahl, Node's creator. I was going to shrug it off as just another jackass who whines because Unix is hard. But, like a police officer who senses that something isn't quite right about the family in a minivan he just pulled over and discovers fifty kilos of black horse heroin in the back, I thought that something wasn't quite right about this guy's aw-shucks sob story, and that maybe, just maybe, he has no idea what he is doing, and has been writing code unchecked for years.

Since you're reading about it here, you probably know how my hunch turned out.

Node.js is a tumor on the programming community, in that not only is it completely braindead, but the people who use it go on to infect other people who can't think for themselves, until eventually, every rear end in a top hat I run into wants to tell me the gospel of event loops. Have you accepted epoll into your heart?

A Scalability Disaster Waiting to Happen

Let's start with the most horrifying lie: that node.js is scalable because it "never blocks" (Radiation is good for you! We'll put it in your toothpaste!). On the Node home page, they say this:

Almost no function in Node directly performs I/O, so the process never blocks. Because nothing blocks, less-than-expert programmers are able to develop fast systems.
This statement is enticing, encouraging, and completely loving wrong.
Let's start with a definition, because you Reddit know-it-alls keep your specifics in the pedantry. A function call is said to block when the current thread of execution's flow waits until that function is finished before continuing. Typically, we think of I/O as "blocking", for example, if you are calling socket.read(), the program will wait for that call to finish before continuing, as you need to do something with the return value.

Here's a fun fact: every function call that does CPU work also blocks. This function, which calculates the n'th Fibonacci number, will block the current thread of execution because it's using the CPU.
code:
function fibonacci(n) {
  if (n < 2)
    return 1;
  else
    return fibonacci(n-2) + fibonacci(n-1);
}
(Yes, I know there's a closed form solution. Shouldn't you be in front of a mirror somewhere, figuring out how to introduce yourself to her?.)

Let's see what happens to a node.js program that has this little gem as its request handler:

code:
http.createServer(function (req, res) {
  res.writeHead(200, {'Content-Type': 'text/plain'});
  res.end(fibonacci(40));
}).listen(1337, "127.0.0.1");
On my older laptop, this is the result:
code:
ted@lorenz:~$ time curl [url]http://localhost:1337/[/url]
real0m5.676s
user0m0.010s
sys0m0.000s
5 second response time. Cool. So we all know JavaScript isn't a terribly fast language, but why is this such an indictment? It's because Node's evented model and brain damaged fanboys make you think everything is OK. In really abusive pseudocode, this is how an event loop works:
code:
while(1) {
  ready_file_descriptor = event_library->poll();
  handle_request(ready_file_descriptor);
}
That's all well and good if you know what you're doing, but when you apply this to a server problem, you've pluralized that poo poo. If this loop is running in the same thread that handle_request is in, any programmer with a pulse will notice that the request handler can hold up the event loop, no matter how asynchronous your library is.

So, given that, let's see how my little node server behaves under the most modest load, 10 requests, 5 concurrent:
code:
ted@lorenz:~$ ab -n 10 -c 5 [url]http://localhost:1337/[/url]
Requests per second:    0.17 [#/sec] (mean)
0.17 queries per second. Diesel. Sure, Node allows you to fork child processes, but at that point your threading/event model is so tightly coupled that you've got bigger problems than scalability.
Considering Node's original selling point, I'm God Damned terrified of any "fast systems" that "less-than-expert programmers" bring into this world.

Node Punishes Developers Because it Disobeys the Unix Way
A long time ago, the original neckbeards decided that it was a good idea to chain together small programs that each performed a specific task, and that the universal interface between them should be text.

If you develop on a Unix platform and you abide by this principle, the operating system will reward you with simplicity and prosperity. As an example, when web applications first began, the web application was just a program that printed text to standard output. The web server was responsible for taking incoming requests, executing this program, and returning the result to the requester. We called this CGI, and it was a good way to do business until the micro-optimizers sank their grubby meathooks into it.

Conceptually, this is how any web application architecture that's not cancer still works today: you have a web server program that's job is to accept incoming requests, parse them, and figure out the appropriate action to take. That can be either serving a static file, running a CGI script, proxying the connection somewhere else, whatever. The point is that the HTTP server isn't the same entity doing the application work. Developers who have been around the block call this separation of responsibility, and it exists for a reason: loosely coupled architectures are very easy to maintain.

And yet, Node seems oblivious to this. Node has (and don't laugh, I am not making this poo poo up) its own HTTP server, and that's what you're supposed use to serve production traffic. Yeah, that example above when I called http.createServer(), that's the preferred setup.

If you search around for "node.js deployment", you find a bunch of people putting Nginx in front of Node, and some people use a thing called Fugue, which is another JavaScript HTTP server that forks a bunch of processes to handle incoming requests, as if somebody maybe thought that this "nonblocking" snake oil might have an issue with CPU-bound performance.

If you're using Node, there's a 99% probability that you are both the developer and the system administrator, because any system administrator would have talked you out of using Node in the first place. So you, the developer, must face the punishment of setting up this HTTP proxying orgy if you want to put a real web server in front of Node for things like serving statics, query rewriting, rate limiting, load balancing, SSL, or any of the other futuristic things that modern HTTP servers can do. That, and it's another layer of health checks that your system will need.

Although, let's be honest with ourselves here, if you're a Node developer, you are probably serving the application directly from Node, running in a screen session under your account.

It's loving JavaScript

This is probably the worst thing any server-side framework can do: be written in JavaScript.
code:
if (typeof my_var !== "undefined" && my_var !== null) {
  // you idiots put Rasmus Lerdorf to shame
}
What is this I don't even...
tl;dr

Node.js is an unpleasant software library and I will not use it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

drat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
node.js is javascript but on the server. its really bad and stupid, op

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Winkle-Daddy posted:

quote:

And yet, Node seems oblivious to this. Node has (and don't laugh, I am not making this poo poo up) its own HTTP server, and that's what you're supposed use to serve production traffic. Yeah, that example above when I called http.createServer(), that's the preferred setup.

lmfao now i'm *really* glad i never picked this poo poo up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
php has its own web server but at least they say "this is for development only please dont be stupid"

quote:

Warning
This web server was designed to aid application development. It may also be useful for testing purposes or for application demonstrations that are run in controlled environments. It is not intended to be a full-featured web server. It should not be used on a public network.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

OK I have to be the dummy and ask, if it takes 5 seconds to serve a single request, how would using a different programming language from javascript suddenly make it possible to serve more than 0.2 requests per second

other than multiplying by the number of cores you have I guess

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qntm posted:

OK I have to be the dummy and ask, if it takes 5 seconds to serve a single request, how would using a different programming language from javascript suddenly make it possible to serve more than 0.2 requests per second

other than multiplying by the number of cores you have I guess
nodejs is based on cooperative threading, so number crunching on one thread can bog the whole process. any other language that schedules tasks on system processes or threads would benefit fromt he system's ability to timeslice

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 20, 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

nodejs is based on cooperative threading, so number crunching on one thread can bog the whole process. any other language that schedules tasks on system processes or threads would benefit fromt he system's ability to timeslice

but how does time slicing, i.e. interspersing the work for one request with work for other requests and work for other tasks, make it take less than 5 seconds to crunch the numbers for any single request, let alone less than 5 seconds on average

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the server should at least be able to schedule the number crunching during network/disk waits of other requests. in the given scenario node.js wouldn't even do that

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
the idea is that, in the vast majority of cases, you are going to be IO bound, and whatever CPU time your lovely web application is using isn't going to even be fractionally comparable to the amount of time you're waiting on disk -- in that case, something like node (and, wait for it, nginx) is going to be a lot more performant because it can schedule IO tasks without having to spawn threads for every single request.

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 21, 2016

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i have a web application built on node, and it's reversed proxied thru nginx because having node being its own production server is single-threaded shitheap. that's my story bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

GenJoe posted:

wait for it, nginx
if it's so performant why am i still waiting

• Locked thread