Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Roosevelt posted:

i have a web application built on node, and it's reversed proxied thru nginx because having node being its own production server is single-threaded shitheap. that's my story bye

node is not single threaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

GenJoe posted:

node is not single threaded

i am literally this person and the "less-than-expert" programmer that this piece is talking about :

quote:

If you're using Node, there's a 99% probability that you are both the developer and the system administrator, because any system administrator would have talked you out of using Node in the first place. So you, the developer, must face the punishment of setting up this HTTP proxying orgy if you want to put a real web server in front of Node for things like serving statics, query rewriting, rate limiting, load balancing, SSL, or any of the other futuristic things that modern HTTP servers can do. That, and it's another layer of health checks that your system will need.

i don't know poo poo and i'm aware of it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

node is bad

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
node is bad but of the p-lang based web application frameworks it is probably the best. if you just don't give a poo poo and want to make a one-off thing that scales reasonably well then node is pretty alright.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GenJoe posted:

node is bad but of the p-lang based web application frameworks it is probably the best. if you just don't give a poo poo and want to make a one-off thing that scales reasonably well then node is pretty alright.

Yo I think the terrible programmer thread is that way ->

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Captain Foo posted:

Yo I think the terrible programmer thread is that way ->

which is your preferred web application framework

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Roosevelt posted:

comedy answer: java ee

just let me fire up the ol weblogic here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Roosevelt posted:

I don't dev webs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Roosevelt posted:

mod_perl

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mojolicous::light for single file web applications (lol)

sinatra to quickly deploy bullshit i don't care about

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

GenJoe posted:

What the gently caress. I'd rather toss it in heroku.

also:

Winkle-Daddy posted:

We called this CGI, and it was a good way to do business until the micro-optimizers sank their grubby meathooks into it.
I learned CGI when other, much better options were available and it's still a better option than most of these new bespoke frameworks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i am nostalgic for the days when javascript was laughed at as the terrible, unsanitary bandaid that it is

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i long for the days when you could load a webpage that didn't have 20 different script tags in it

or for the days when you could view a page without the javascript at all. now if you disable it half the websites you visit just say "please enable javascript" if they show anything at all

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Dr. Honked posted:

i recently went down the hatred hole of typescript

it's a trap, don't go there

I would like to hear more about this experience

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Clockwerk posted:

I would like to hear more about this experience

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ah yase the good old days when the user had to ask for a new page just to let the server know he was still there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

java script bad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

ah yase the good old days when the user had to ask for a new page just to let the server know he was still there

you dont need javascript for that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://github.com/you-dont-need/You-Dont-Need-Javascript/blob/master/README.MD

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
awesome, got a static HTML turing machine too?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

this thread went from "yeah node does have serious problems" to full-blown retards complaining about how the web was better when every button press had to load an entire page

seriously just browse with lynx if you're such a crybaby. the rest of the web won't miss you

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

press the refresh button to refresh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

awesome, got a static HTML turing machine too?

actually yes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

this thread went from "yeah node does have serious problems" to full-blown retards complaining about how the web was better when every button press had to load an entire page

seriously just browse with lynx if you're such a crybaby. the rest of the web won't miss you

lol aww someones all riled up!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

go play outside Skyler posted:

generally, people don't sign their posts in the middle

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Foo posted:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

savage

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

yeah cause i wanna write a loving shitload of javascript pig latin in css, sign me up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a miserable pile of secrets

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
node.js users seem pretty insufferable https://github.com/golang/go/issues/17608

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
like, how much of an rear end do you have to be to have go users calling you out. lmbo!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you don't want to be abstracted away from the nitty-gritty of servicing http requests and rather enjoy poor performance, i introduce to you the next-level alternative to node.js: cgi

cgi is so loving awesome btw

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
as we all know, anything written in c is always better and faster. did you know what is written in c - warning: this might shock you, only proceed at your own risk. you have been warned - NODE . JS!!!!!!!!!!!! im shocking myself writing this. did you know node.JS is actually GOOD?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hmm, doesn't cgi work by spawning a process for every single request?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indeed, so in principle it is more scalable than node.js

but, yeah, it was too expensive mostly, it spawned a process, you get post data on stdin, stdout gets sent to the browser, and the url and query parameters are put into environment variables. was super-convenient if your web app amounted to concatenating up a few files with tiny modifications according to some parameters though. certainly had more merit than node.js (by virtue of apache running the show if nothing else)

• Locked thread