Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
take two is pretty fun. i've done 4 runs so far and working on my fifth, 5-0 and 4-1 with shadow, 4-1 with sword, 4-1 with haven. 2-0 with dragon so far.

i lose games where i miss a good drop on turn 2, 3, or 4, so make sure those curve points are saturated.

I like the pick two gimmick, it makes picking cards interesting.

also a minor disagreement with the op - havencraft definitely feels strong in take two but probably difficult to draft, bloodcraft is probably the strongest of the bottom 3 classes (along with rune and forest). havencraft's main strength lies in having a turn 4 that makes a lot of evolution lines feel week and a turn 2 play that 2-for-1's most other classes' turn 2 plays (beastcaller aria) and also gains tempo on turn 4.

i have played against bloodcraft a handful of times and the vengeance text like never comes up so that feels like it shouldn't be good to me.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Both Havencraft and Bloodcraft are kinda the same tier in Take Two but for a newbie reading blood is easier to draft. Haven's thing in take two is that if you don't get your amulets at the perfect timing at the start then you fall behind and drawing beastcall in turn 7 is potentially game ending since you will most likely have very few countdown dropping tools in take two. If you do manage to drop 3 amulets by the fourth turn then yeah very few drafted decks would be able to deal with that

That's exactly the problem with blood. It looks simple but juggling vengeance and maintaining momentum is difficult when the best enablers and payoff cards are not bronze or silver. Haven may be tricky to play but playing single player with just bronze and silver amulets should give you a feel of how you curve out with amulets.

Drawing beastcaller's aria on turn 7 is bad, but it's not much worse than drawing any random 2-drop on turn 7 without any other plays. 2-drops at that point don't make much board impact without using up an evolution point, and they're often only good if you pair them with a sizeable 5-drop, which haven has access to.

and curving out amulets isn't really hard to do because the format revolves around having good 2-drops. like, if you plan your plays in arena around turns 2, 3, and 4, you will have a very good chance of winning, and havencraft is well set up to do this. I think people should give it a fair shake because it's very strong if you know what you're doing and i feel like only swordcraft and shadowcraft (well, obviously shadowcraft since they're the best) are well equipped to go toe-to-toe with havencraft.

also just went 5-0 with a pretty sick control dragon deck :toot:. the last match was against a forestcraft so I was pretty sure shenanigans were afoot since a forest deck has to be exceptional to go 4-0, and lo and behold, he had two crystalia tias :shepface:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
lost the only loss in my most recent 4-1 Swordcraft run to Havencraft

I misclicked end turn on turn 4 which is basically a complete loss but they also lined up beastcaller aria with the amulet that makes only a tiger and that's an insane board to overcome even for swordcraft with a floral fencer on turn 4

The takeaway here is definitely turn on end turn confirmation.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Drakes posted:

Crystalia Tia brings out the salt in me, especially when they pop it multiple times.

that's dark angel olivia for me, in arena

especially if they raise her several times

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
that's a pretty good haul but i think those legendaries look pretty unfocused

i think i stopped rerolling my stuff at like

2 Tia, 2 Zirnitra, 1 Gabriel, 1 Vampire Queen, 1 Lord Atomy, and the 6/4 blood guy that cuts your hp in half.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
how many live topdecks are there at this point

magic missile i'm assuming?

I think I'd evolve one snowman, go face with evolved and one, petrify a fatty, swing two into it, twosome, destroyer, dshift

then you can see if you topdeck lethal or if you have to boardclear and pray :v:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 21, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think oracle is that good in take two to be honest. Your best non gold/legendary card in dragon is dragon warrior and you don't really want him earlier and it's hard to make good use of the card without having a weird curve without getting the curve, while constructed decks that run oracle tend to have good redundancy for ramp.

that's a miserable first pick regardless though. also no warriors :rip:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 21, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
then just reroll it v:shobon:v

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
how to take two:

1. pick 2-drops
2. mulligan for your 2-drops
3. play your 2-drops
4. grats you win

Joking aside 2-drops and curving out are very important but you want to watch out for the strong turn 4 evo plays from some of the more powerful classes like Cudgel Priest (haven), Floral Fencer (sword), White General(sword), and Dragon Warrior (dragon). Try to avoid having a board that can be swept with 3 damage to one guy and another guy at less than 5 power (read: try to avoid having two 3/3 or 4/3 followers in play on the first evo turn against Haven, Sword, or Dragon). Shadow at 5 can also get a pretty big lead with Charon but she won't immediately wipe a board.

If you're experienced at playing limited formats in other games playing a controlling/midrange Shadow or Dragon deck can work pretty well for you but if you're relatively new you definitely want to play as aggressively as possible with Sword (a well drafted aggressive sword deck can pressure just about anything but a solid shadow deck at all phases of the game). I personally rate Haven very high too but you have to know how to use the cards you end up with. Sometimes you end up with more controlling cards and sometimes you end up with a lot of storm cards and you just go face.

also unless she's paired with a complete dud there's basically no legendary better than Dark Angel Olivia

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Having started off with two tia's in my reroll but opened more sword legendaries after some arena runs, I feel like very low budget sword is way more consistent than very low budget forest.

Sword has a reasonable common curve and fairly good refills with Maid Leader / Avant Blader (although maid leader is an uncommon so v:shobon:v) while forest I feel like I can never draw into my payoff cards unless I go and craft some altered fates.

Also Gabriel might not show up in a lot of lists in the meta but she dominates games in the land of bad decks, which I think is worth consideration for the sake of having a lot of decks to run your quests with.

On the other hand rhinoceroach OTK's are great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
servers are dead :rip:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
:rip: my winstreak from d0 to d3 was broken by an aggro blood deck that went fortress then fortress + vania + evolve vania which was like a 10 point nuke on turn four :shepface:

granted my sword deck can curve out on like turn 6 and I'm not even playing banners (if I crafted 3 Alwida's command I might make banner sword) so I guess fair's fair.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
5-0 shadowcraft on the back of triple zombie + archangel reina combo :laffo:

also storm haven is really good and you already have 3 moons

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think for early game questing Gabriel has to be one of the best legendaries, to be honest.

otherwise imo look for a decklist that looks interesting and aim for the legendaries it uses.

overall you want the good neutrals (basically any of them except for satan imo) and then whatever class legendaries are key/strong cards in relatively easy to build decks (vampire queen, ancient elf, moon, tia, and forte come to mind for this). cards like merlin and seraph are strong cards but they are usually played with cards that often don't overlap into other lists.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's the pits for you, ruff~

tear to shreds, rrr

cerberus is so unfair in take two

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

in fact, why does the op specifically call out haven as not having a budget deck? you can fit a 100% functional garuda haven deck in 7000 vials. that's more than most of the op budget decks, but not that much more, and unlike those it'll carry you all the way up the rankings if you decide you like garuda haven

probably old info. storm haven is really good and can use the same neutrals (read: gabriel) as midrange/aggro sword.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

can I just take the banner deck and replace something in it with Saber (and maybe Lucifer) and be good to go? I posted my legendary pulls above but I really dunno what to do with my cards. This game is fun as gently caress, though!

lucifer isn't very good in a sword list but saber is pretty solid, in the sense that she will single handedly win you games against aggro bats, which is otherwise an iffy matchup with aggressive sword lists.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's 14 because the first bone chimera you kill can only spawn one thing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Did you play the tutorial?

That aside, the UI is a lot like hearthstone's, as are the core rules.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
if you want to play sword you really don't need to worry about having sword's legendaries

the aggro/midrange sword lists don't really rely on (sword) legendaries, the legendary that does the most work in my sword list is gabriel

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

yeah im kind of tempted to trash one of my starting legendaries for vials. thinking maybe odin

why would you trash the one that's most likely to be useful in any deck

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
like if anything i would probably trash lord of the flies because control shadow takes a lot to set up

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

i havent seen odin in any deck lists ive looked at so far so i didnt think he was used very much

well it's really impractical to just fill out lists with vials while you're doing quests and odin can fill into any deck you're trying to do a quest with, so odin is quite useful.

the non-budget lists are all optimized and assume you have like infinite vials, neutral legendaries help you bridge the gap between a budget list and a non-budget list

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
sword and dragon have pretty budget friendly lists

aggro blood is also pretty budget friendly.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
elf is pretty poo poo without its rares anyway honestly

like even with ancient elf and tia, you still need liza, rhinoceroach, cynthia, wind god, altered fate (depending on the list you're running), etc

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you don't really want to kill the countdown amulets, since that triggers their last word.

you'd want to banish them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BoldFace posted:

The current leader of the Take Two leaderboard tweeted that he chooses classes in this order:

Sword > Forest > Blood > Rune > everything else

I looked into it but I think overall it has to do with playstyle. Two different jp sites offer different rankings too:

Appmedia currently ranks Shadow = Sword > Forest = Rune = Blood > Dragon = Haven.

Gamewith ranks Shadow = Sword > Haven > Dragon = Blood = Rune > Forest.

I'd say given a choice pick shadow or sword, whichever you prefer (sword usually leans aggressive, shadow is on the midrange-control side). I've never picked Forest, Blood or Rune but Rune decks at 3-0 are usually strong because they put together a good ratio of earth rite cards and amulet makers (spell boost is like almost impossible to put together in arena afaik). I don't think I've ever lost to a blood deck and the one forest deck I've lost to played two Tia's.

Blood feels really risky given how quickly sword and shadow can close out 10 points of health from a near-empty board.

The rankings also could have to do with goals. It's almost impossible to get below 3 wins if you play shadow correctly but shadow's lack of 2-drops make it hard to have explosive starts and I get way more 4-1's than any other record when playing shadow.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
to be fair if Luna has Call of the Void or several combinations of two cards in the second image she can stabilize :v:

Thats one of the reasons I really like playing Shadowcraft.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Kaguya was one of the first cards I opened and I thought she was great but after thinking about it more and seeing her in action, she's... not particularly great. For one thing you have to Evolve her to get her effect, then she must die, and then for two turns (three if you kill her off on your turn), a random opponent has its attack set to 1, at the end of your turn. When you don't want the enemy to have any cards, preferably. Wooo...

it doesn't help that her ability often does nothing against sword or shadow in take two. dumps on dragons though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
loving christ there are some lucky people out there

I think I wouldn't complain getting olivia and some frontguards but here we have a guy who goes second with two back to back dragon warriors, and then a guy who goes second with back to back floral fencers :shepicide:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
for all my bitching about luck this time I came out ahead by having perfect topdecks against someone's haven deck to cinch out a 5-0 run with sword

otohime into alwida's command into assault commander off the top :toot:, against like 3-4 talismans and olivia

107 take two matches won, with 5 5-win runs so far.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think banner sword wants to go first, since you'd probably rather play turn 4 banner than turn 4 fencer.

Is fencer even in the list.

The turn 4 evolves are really strong in low budget but once you're playing olivia decks or decks that cost a good chunk of vials the card quality from evolution isn't that much of a leap any more. Playing around turn 4 is very valuable in take two though.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 1, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
angelic barrage, unicorn dancer unica

also there's stuff like foul tempest, revelation, aurelia, and pretty much anything in an elana's prayer deck

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I've run into dshift like twice and I only lost because I had to catch the subway train.

I don't think ladder ranks reset, so bad luck with deranks I guess.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Can I get a Take Two that just assumes I lose every game against Sword and skips them? Because I'm not going to just auto-concede even though it is objectively the best EV.

3 sword decks on the ropes. 3 Leonidas.

What classes are you drafting?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It was intensely satisfying bludgeoning a Sword deck with two Leonidi to death with Polyphonous Roar or whatever that Dragon 9-mana talisman is that shits out a 5/5 storm every turn. :v:

Well, and a copy of the dragonrider who blows up a talisman.

I beat a dragon player by having execute for polyphonous roar once :smuggo:

I don't think that card is very good to be honest, a lot of the time when you are making 9-drops you need them to do something immediate, its effect has inevitability but it's a bit slow to ramp up and then it's overkill.

That said it's still better than a dud rare like dragonewt scholar or deathmist dragon.

Leonidas has similar problems, but he also threatens to clock for 7 or 9 if you leave him alone, and if you still have an evolution point when you play him, you can immediately impact the board with him. His amulet is basically having infinite evolutions, but that he can't reliably immediately impact the board puts him still slightly worse than Olivia, imo (as far as 9-drops go, Olivia is probably the gold standard).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 1, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i dont know how you steam link at all

are there packs solely from steam linking

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
in take two, i'm luna, and my mother and father are deathbrand and call of the void

and odin is the mean guy who won't go on an adventure with me :rip:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sword when I can get it (rarely). After that, probably a tie between Forest, Shadow and Rune. Shadow has been my strongest so far but I'm still losing to sword. I feel like most of my decks either rarely get enough early drops and so I'm drawing too many 5s and wasting mana even when I try to prioritize early plays, or I get a good curve and then get blown out of the water by poo poo like Leonidas, Olivia, Otohime, etc.

Ok I'm mostly a shadow drafter and that was a problem I was running into when I was starting out, the solution is basically put a very high priority on 2's in shadow. If you get 2's with necromancy or procs don't hesitate to play them on curve anyway. Once shadow stabilizes it's very hard to fall behind.

Shadow has very high value 3-5 drops, and even higher value late drops, but ends up meaning that you want to emphasize 2's. Given how strong sword is, you also want to prioritize 2/2's or 2/3's over 2/1's (unfortunately shadow has a lot of 2/1's)

Also I just won a haven take two mirror in the best way. 2-0 against someone with the top selector flair. I finally drew my Enstatued Seraph with 3 cards left in my deck, in a position where I couldn't feasibly swing his face to win, so I played it.

I have Seraph Lapis, Glory Be out when I draw my last card.

My last card was Sister Initiate :getin:

Although given how countdown works, if I didn't have Sister Initiate in my deck, would I have won or lost? Countdowns tick before the draw but I don't know how Shadowverse's rules engine handles this.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
and a 5-0 with the haven deck from above

I only won two of the games with seraph though

• Locked thread