Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Outside of 'OP' meta poo poo like storm garuda and elana right now;

In terms of win rate alone, Heal Haven sits at a measly 47.9%, and while Garuda Haven does have a 53.9% win rate, it's basically equal to Tempo Forest at 53.8%. Then you have less popular decks quickly coming in vogue, with something like Face Dragon sitting at a bonkers 55.5%, Seraph Haven 54%, Control Sword 54.8%, Royal Banner Sword 53.5%, Mid-range Sword 52%, Aggro Shadow 52.5% and even Aggro Blood at a decent 51.2%.

You can do well in ranked with a vast number of decks right now, and a lot of those decks don't require all the optimal pieces to work. You see a lot of Garuda Haven and Heal Haven just because those two decks don't cost an arm and a leg to make.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

19 from what I can tell. Evolve a Snowman, go face with it and three others, throw the fifth into a minion to make room for Flame Destroyer, Dimension Shift.

Shame you can't cast Petrification on your own Snowman or it would be exact lethal.

Being 1 off is your punishment for playing DShift Rune. :v:

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Aaand turns out a hybrid Tempo/PTP Forest deck managed a 71% win rate at Master rank over 100+ games, so expect that to trickle down into the ranked meta pretty fast.

Cygames needs to stop being stubborn and just gut some of Forestcraft's cards, or at the very least realize that no, getting 30 Shadows isn't difficult as long as Altered Fate exists.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Tamba posted:

:siren: and the Steam release has been pushed back, it now unlocks in 21 hours :siren:

Seems like they ran into some problems during their maintenance. While it's still possible that they just temporarily pushed the release date by several hours to make sure they can get everything working properly, I wouldn't hold my breath that we'll see it on Steam tonight.

Aaand never mind, it's rescheduled for 3 hours from now?

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 27, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Det_no posted:

So real talk here, Steam version is probably going to be a pain without rerolls, isn't it?

I didn't even reroll back when I first started playing, as I wasn't aware you could do it easily. I had Aurelia, Cerberus and Prince of Darkness, which while they were all great legendaries, it was a low number and spread across different crafts.

Just playing normally to do my dailies since launch I've gotten a really sizable collection and enough vials to fill in gaps. It's not that big of a deal, really.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Got one Enstatued Seraph out of my 5 free packs too, a third Azazel and my fifth Elf Girl Liza, this time animated. I'm sitting on them until the next nerf pass, just in case any of the Midrange Forest cards get nerfed.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I personally wouldn't liquefy any cards. Sure, Skullfane is terrible right now, but the next expansion might change that. The same applies to pretty much any card, and Cygames seems way more willing to make balance changes than Blizzard.

People seem to be really underestimating how generous the game is with rupies, vials and tickets. I didn't know about rerolling when I started playing, and the only legendaries I got a couple of months ago was an Aurelia, a Cerberus and a Satan. Since then, just completing the single-player content, going through my Take Two tickets and doing my dailies, I unpacked several legendaries and golds and gotten enough of a foundation to build multiple meta decks, (Some of which were phased out in this expansion, sadly.) as well as enough vials to craft upwards of 8 legendaries.

And this is without liquefying anything other than spares, and keeping animated cards. Going OCD over a ~*Perfect Roll*~ is really silly. By all means, do a few rerolls if you want, but stuff like rerolling until you get 3 Ancient Elves and 3 Tias is overdoing it. You might not even like playing Forest after you craft that deck, regardless of its win rate at Master.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The game might be generous, sure, but it's generous in the long-term, not necessarily the short-term. Holding onto a million semi-functional cards just for the sake of having them is fine, but if you could eliminate even two deck types you aren't interested in using and liquify any golds/legendaries from those decks, you could net yourself a fully-viable competitive deck or two, as opposed to just playing amalgamations of whatever you happen to have on-hand. And after playing maybe ten games of ranked, eight with decks that I happened to have cards for and getting my rear end handed to me and then a full sword deck (non-banner) I completed with two bloodcraft legendaries worth of vials, the difference is night and day. I mean, you say you built a couple meta decks over the course of months? I started yesterday and am two legendaries short of the Mid-control sword deck, and the two games I've played with this deck so far haven't even lasted long enough to build enough play points for me to even use a 9* legendary. Plus, I can just slap my spare Olivia and Odin in there in place of them.

In a game where people have been collecting cards for months and have been getting better at the game for months, if you present me with the option to make any top-tier sword deck at the cost of throwing away three of my nine legendaries for decks I'm not interested in playing, that sounds like a dope trade to me.

There are at least three competitive face decks that require very little investment, and only the Dragon one uses legendaries. (And it can sub in Seabrand Dragon or Genesis Dragon in place of Forte and do completely fine until A+ rank.) I didn't build 'a couple' of decks. I built multiple.

I had Ramp Satan Dragon, Satan Haven, Aggro Shadow, Midrange Shadow and Dimension Shift Rune (This last one with only one Merlin and two Spectral Wizards subbing in for it.) before the expansion hit. After the expansion I have Garuda Haven, Aggro Blood, Aggro Dragon, Royal Banner Sword and with the parts of other decks I currently own, I have enough vials left to finish Dimension Shift Rune and Elana/Lapis Hybrid Haven, or Control Sword or Control Blood.

And the rewards for short term are actually incredibly inflated due to campaign, elite AI, achievements and score rewards. So the likelihood of you getting the cards you just crafted from the mass of packs you'll be netting after the initial 40 or so is really high.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I don't need three Fortes in my opening hand! Let me just mulligan all three and...

...oh. gently caress.

Still won.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Chair In A Basket posted:

your opponent appears to be a boob mousepad

She stole all the other leaders' cup sizes, except Urias'.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

For take two what majority mana cost cards do I want to fill up on in general?

The peak of your curve should generally be 2 and to a lesser extent 1 and 3. It's also generally a bad idea to have a second peak past 5 for most classes, although it obviously depends on class and deck.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Woo, hit AA!

And now the real grind begins.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Poultron posted:

Only been playing this game a little while, but assuming I like Arena in Hearthstone, then Take Two is the good poo poo to spend my gold on, right?

Absolutely. If your average wins are higher than 3, you will get more bang for your buck than just using the rupies for packs. You won't get Darkness Evolved packs that often with this method, but you can switch to spending your rupies on expansion packs once you have a good foundation of Standard packs. (That is if constructed appeals to you at all.)

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Poultron posted:

I wasn't a fan of Constructed much in Hearthstone, but that's mostly because of the meta - I still played it a fair bit. Should I bother playing Take Two before I'm relatively decent at the game? My first run was a Haven deck with I think 2 wins. I still haven't finished more than three Story modes, so...

Personally I'd first finish all the campaigns, as they unlock key class cards and well, tend to give you a good idea on how each class plays on a basic level. You even get one Take Two ticket per leader story. After that, defeating all the AI on Elite will reward you with 200 rupies per leader, and these will also give you an idea on how you can counter some of the class archetypes.

At that point, you'll have a better grasp of the game, and will likely get better results in Take Two just by virtue of knowing how to handle the different crafts.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, is it worth putting in anti-amulet tech cards just for things like that? I noticed that there are a decent number of decks where the win condition is "have an amulet out".

There's realistically only two playable anti-amulet cards in the game. Everything else is either too cost inefficient or requires clunky conditionals.

Petrification if you're playing Earth Rite Rune, (There's also a Dimension Shift variant that techs in Scrap Iron to combo Petrification.) and Odin, but only slow control decks even run him.

If you're not Runecraft and/or don't have Odin, I wouldn't bother with it.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Is Dark Angel Olivia good? She's the first legendary I think I've gotten.

Other ones I got are Bloody Mary, Sun Oracle Pascale, Odin, Lord of Flies (x2), Skullfane, Merlin, Queen Vampire, Moon Al-mi'raj, and Beast Dominator. Any of them good?

Only bad ones from that list are Skullfane and Beast Dominator. Beast Dominator is probably the worst legendary in the game, even. The rest of your legendaries all range from pretty good to excellent.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

So I noticed this in take two, shadowcraft has a combo that can generate 13 shadows and a 20 shadow cost unit to make a 15/15. How bad is this combo when playing the game normally? Bloody thing also has storm.

It's not at all a problem. Too unreliable and generally too slow.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the rationale behind more people playing the Sister Initiate version of Storm Haven rather than the Moon al Miraj one? I will say that version tends to beat me running the Moon one in the mirror but I dunno how it fares in other matches. Moon does a lot of work for me.

There's plenty of Garuda Haven variants. Some run 1-3 Moon Al-Mi'rajs, some run 1-2 Gilgamesh, some tech in 1-3 Angelic Barrages/Themis' Decrees. Sister Initiates are pretty common, sometimes in conjunction with Hallowed Dogma, or they pick one or the other. For a while people were running Sky Sprites to give Rush to their Holyflame Tigers, and so forth and so on.

Basically just experiment with variants to find out what works best for you and well, adapt to whatever is giving you the most trouble in the ladder.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 7, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

My 5 packs didn't give me any legendaries, but gave me a couple of golds a ton of silvers, including 3 animated Ruthless Assassins and 3 non-animated Ruthless Assassins. :what:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Eej posted:

I've got so many Crystalia Tias at this point but I never want to play Forestcraft ever and I'm so torn about dusting all of them.

I'd hold off on zapping them. It's very possible that card gets a nerf next balance pass, and you could then liquefy them for full value.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Razory Claw's effect isn't simultaneous, and unlike Magic it doesn't check states only after the spell resolves. Meaning today I went for a draw when me and an opponent were burnt down to 2 life, and I clawed only myself to death. I didn't really have another option so I don't regret it, but heads up to anyone else wondering how that works.

Also important to know, if you kill yourself during your turn, you are the one that loses. This is mostly relevant for simultaneous damage effects, like Demonic Storm. There's no actual way to draw as far as I know.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

https://techraptor.net/content/cygames-interview-ccg-shadowverse

So they have confirmed a new expansion near the end of the year. I'll probably buy a month's worth of crystals for the daily deal, then open one a day and save my rupies.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

I opened four packs today, one Standard from the daily login, one DE from the daily deal, another DE for reaching AA1 rank and a final DE for doing my daily missions.

Was looking to get an Ancient Elf or a Tia so I can get closer to making my own Tempo Forest deck.

Got a Lord Atomy, followed by my second and third Lord of the Flies, which combined with the three Cerberus I opened in the past... well, seems like Cygames wants me to play Shadow. Guess I'll finish crafting the two Death's Breath, one Phantom Howl and one Foul Tempest I need for the Control Shadow deck that's been floating around lately.

Lord Ephraim posted:

BTW what's the fastest you can actually win a match? I won a match against a bloodcraft player turn five after he played 3 blood wolves when most of my early draws were quickbladers and novice troopers. We both went face when I drew another novice trooper to finish him off. I actually would have lost if I didn't top deck all those storm cards; there was only 5 HP left on myself.

The picture above is turn 5, but against an Aggro Blood opponent being too cocky with Razory Claws, it could have easily been turn 4. Aggro Blood mirror matches can end shockingly fast if one of them pulls off a perfect Vania + Vampiric Fortress combo with Razory Claws added in as finishers.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

It's taken me entirely too long to realize that it's easier to deal with Storm Haven when you petrify their first double-animal amulet.

But it's so much better when you do it to an Elana's Prayer. And absolutely delightful when you do it to an Enstatued Seraph.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

I have gotten to A rank and I still have no idea what a Shadowcraft deck is supposed to look like.

You can start by having 3 Cerberus. There's never been a Shadowcraft deck that isn't made better by adding 3 Cerberus.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

This fun and interactive board brought to you by Aggro Dragon mirror match.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

When will japanese card game developers realize that cards that give you extra turns are always bullshit, and always bite balancing in the rear end later down the life of the game.

http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Walk

But agreed.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

That costs two mana. What.

Early Magic wasn't known for being balanced. :P

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Finally had enough vials saved up to craft 3 Ancient Elves, 3 Crystalia Tias, 3 Rhinoceroaches and 3 Elf Knight Cynthias.

Play Ancient Elf, bounce the one already on the board, alongside with Liza and Tia.

Play Liza, then play Tia.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I did this for 5 turns until she finally managed to kill my Ancient Elf.

Forest is pure cancer.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Wanna trade for my animated Skullfane, it's got cool purple lights

I'll trade it for a non-animated Minotaur.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Awesome! posted:

rose queen is just for a meme deck right?

It's used as a one of in some combo Forest decks as just an extra win condition, actually. I'd keep one around just in case.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Zoness posted:

let's be honest, there isn't really a control deck that's in a good place right now anyway, unless PTP is considered control.

Control Sword and Elana Haven are both in good places right now, with Control Shadow being on the verge of good.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

frajaq posted:

So I managed to get like 2 Garudas from all those initial packs the game throws at you, and saw that Haven Stormcraft is a thing and crafted another one.

This is the deck right now. Where do I go from here? Do any legendaries fit the deck? I have 6k vials available

Surefire Bullet and Cruel Priestess should probably be cut. Wind God is questionable, but not necessarily bad.

In your place I'd probably craft 3 Themis Decree before any Haven legendaries, as it's not uncommon to run them in Storm Haven, and they're mandatory in Elana, Hybrid and Seraph. You also definitely want at least one more Sacred Plea and one more Dance of Death, just for reliability. If you do craft Moon, I'd only craft one initially and see how you like her in the deck first.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

frajaq posted:

Out of curiosity how often do the developers balance the game? What are the chances they change something like Garuda, ruining the deck? Don't want to craft a legendary for an archetype that might not last long.

During Beta they rebalanced things very often. After launch, they've only had two balance patches, the first one nerfing Harvest Festival a few months back, and Homecoming being nerfed with the release of Darkness Evolved. I'd imagine they might do another balance pass when the next expansion comes out. It's still unannounced, but they've hinted they're aiming to release it by the end of the year.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Zoness posted:

someone above mentioned control blood and while I get the idea, I can't imagine what its good matchups are

i guess it's a reasonable choice against midrange sword?

It actually has a sub-50% winrate against every Sword archetype. Seraph Haven and every Forest archetype curbstomps it.

It does well against Non-Hybrid Heal Haven, Midrange Shadow and Ramp Dragon, and its best matchups are Storm Haven, Aggro Blood and Face Dragon.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 23, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Aggro Blood steals so many wins it's not even funny.

I need a "Sorry not sorry." emote.

Bonus:

Double Vampiric Fortress is always a riot.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

How does the ordering with 2 Vampire Fortresses even work?

e:
My gut instinct is the first triggers and pops for 2 damage, then the second triggers and pops for 3. Is that right?

Yep, that's exactly right.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

At what rank does Storm Haven stop being a free win generator? I'm getting 8-9 win streaks at B1, with half my losses being to mirror match.

It's a good deck throughout, but at AA and higher it only has a 51% win rate, compared to a 55% rate at B.

Heal Haven is one of its bad matchups and being a cheap deck, pretty common across the whole ladder... but people at lower ranks can be pretty bad at piloting it. In higher ranks you're more likely to face people that can afford building Midrange Sword and Tempo Forest, which are two popular bad matchups. Another deck that trounces Storm Haven (But you probably won't see any of it until late A and early AA.) is Control Blood.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 25, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

That is literally the worst draw RNG I've witnessed in Shadowverse to date. I have three Path to Purgatory and they were all in my last four draws.

I died to a second Silver Bolt next turn, or I would have known if they were actually in the last three draws.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

So the next expansion is apparently going to be called "Rise of Bahamut" and we'll get some card spoilers revealed in the next issue of Famitsu.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/29121601.html

• Locked thread