Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So this is gonna sound dumb probably but how the hell do I read what my cards actually do? All I get is animu and numbers and then I play a guy and it's all "surprise, you should have played this at a different time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I did play the tutorial. I figured out they tuck away all the text behind a click but the tutorial didn't say a thing about that, as far as I saw.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What are some not-very-demanding decks to start building toward? I completed the solo campaigns and a couple multiplayer missions including a Take Two. Legend haul at this point is: Sun Oracle Pascale, Queen Vampire, Erasmus (animated!), Dark Angel Olivia, and Mythril Golem, all one-ofs. I enjoyed pretty much all the archetypes, though I admit shadow was tons of fun when I had Spirit Cycle cranking away and pretty boring when it wasn't.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any tips for Take Two? I was infinite/near infinite in Hearthstone but right now I'm 2-8. I feel like Sword and Forest probably have the most going on at common but not sure if that's accurate. Went 0-5 when I had the choice of Dragon, Shadow, and Haven. I went with Dragon thinking that they're all pretty synergy-dependent but at least having Huge Dudes is like a built in form of card advantage. Got my poo poo stomped 5 straight games.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm 5 and 0 on the ladder with Havencraft. I get that this is the bottom of the ladder and most players are also playing babby's first random pile, but I did play against a Runecraft deck that seemed loaded with giant assholes and just ran them outta gas with my tigers n' poo poo. It's also what I used to beat up the elites in practice. Surprised to see they've got some fast beatdown deck going. I may have to try to build to that and then acquire stuff for control later for funsies. That Enstatued Seraph looks hilarious.

Edit: Also I'm running a Satan since I figure at my low level if I ever resolve it I just win. Is homeboy in the meta right now?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 31, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm 10-0 on the ladder and something atrocious like 5-15 in Take Two. The Havencraft aggro deck is sweet, though your pinion birds are maybe not scrub-tier meta appropriate because you run into so many sword and forest fuckers who trade favorably with it. At least Moon al Miraj mops those guys up pretty well.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Can I get a Take Two that just assumes I lose every game against Sword and skips them? Because I'm not going to just auto-concede even though it is objectively the best EV.

3 sword decks on the ropes. 3 Leonidas.

As my thanks for putting up with that uninvited salt, have a sick Soul Grinder:

http://i.imgur.com/iun2DrA.mp4

I love Soul Grinder for how insanely out of place he is in a game where way too many cards are drawn as cute anime girls -- including poo poo that has no reason to. Why's my spell that summons a bird and tiger get drawn with a girl? gently caress if I know. And then there's THIS goofy bastard kicking down the door ready to rock and a bunch of goddamned animes are just sitting there blinking at him and he TOTALLY must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. His voice is echoing with the wails of the thrice-damned as he apologizes and excuses himself.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 1, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Haven aggro feels so unfair despite being pretty drat simple. I'm glad I'm playing it.

I opened Otohime. I know I'd need two more but what's peoples' view on that midrange Sword list?
https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/mid-range-swordcraft

Zoness posted:

What classes are you drafting?

Sword when I can get it (rarely). After that, probably a tie between Forest, Shadow and Rune. Shadow has been my strongest so far but I'm still losing to sword. I feel like most of my decks either rarely get enough early drops and so I'm drawing too many 5s and wasting mana even when I try to prioritize early plays, or I get a good curve and then get blown out of the water by poo poo like Leonidas, Olivia, Otohime, etc.

Edit: Just got my first 4-1 in arena! .... I was sword. I lost to sword. I was matched almost exclusively against sword.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh I know all about keeping a low curve. What I was trying to say is it feels like I just draw my 5s anyway despite going deep on 2s and that leaves me unable to pressure. It's just bad beats whining. Ignore me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There is a dirt cheap swordcraft deck that's supposed to be decent:
https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/royal-banner-swordcraft

Garuda Havencraft is nearly three times that but still maybe half what any other top tier deck would cost.
https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/garuda-havencraft

This is just according to what that site says. I don't claim to have any useful knowledge about the meta, but I'll say Garuda Havencraft has me going 16-0 so far on the ladder.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In any strategy card game, the best decks tend to build in functional duplicates to force that consistency. Whether that means packing a Magic burn deck with Lightning Bolt and as many similarly strong damage spells to burn an opponent out or banishing your drek and having lots of card flow in Ascension to hit your best cards repeatedly or a Take Two deck with lots of good turn 2 and 3 plays. That Banner Swordcraft deck uses Maid Leader as cheap tutors for the banner because it's the only commander-tagged card in the deck. Not only does it make it easier to find but you can mull banner away to angle for a better opening curve and have a good chance of finding it once you've got the resources and board state to play it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

milward posted:

I guess having an actual good deck should be my first priority then. Ill finish the solos and see what I lack after that.

That sword deck is insanely cheap, and at low ranks, just playing a good deck can carry you stupid far. I'm not gonna pretend this win streak I've got doesn't in large part have to do with me running a deck that someone much better than me built.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Am I correct in thinking that before I ever worry about making a good deck that I oughta go through all the story modes? Since they give out story-exclusive class cards and such it seems pertinent to do them, plus it looks to be a decent way to learn how each class works. I haven't played too much yet but I've just been using the default decks and done up to Chapter 4 of Swordcraft.

Swordcraft gets one of its best cards in story mode. Not every class gets something as vital but they want to hurl gold and stuff at you and you should let them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just unlocked Harnessed Glass. I assume there isn't really any reliable way to get Flame and Glass online, right? Other than like cramming otherwise dead cards into a Dimension Shift deck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, that's why I wrote off the possibility of putting it in runecraft. You can already run a 7/7 without clogging the deck with dead cards.

edit: I finally got a Forestcraft deck to a winning record in Take Two, though this was just 3-2 where I got Sword to 4-1.

Someone wanna take a look at it and tell me what an ideal Forestcraft draft looks like? I know you don't get to look at the choices I made and that clouds things a bit.

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck...ZvG.61oCW.61SE6

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 3, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Satan saved one otherwise unwinnable game for me, but yeah I try not to have a turn 10 do-nothing.

And yeah Fairy Champion was more the kind of card I ended up with as a cost of getting some other really excellent ones. I definitely don't value it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I started like a week ago and already have Storm Haven, the cheap sword list, and I'm just like 3 golds short of Runecraft. Devouring entire classes to build decks with others is a really good way to be effective quickly if you don't mind the lack of variety. I keep hearing people saying don't do that because you want decks to complete missions but it's not like I'm going to take some thrown together garbage bloodcraft list to the ladder so I can lose 20 times trying to get like 30 gold. The storm haven list took me up to like 50 wins and associated rewards with virtually no losses on the way. Focus on results and build a few decks you can learn inside out. Do your quests in Take Two or something.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zoness posted:

Cerberus is cool and cute, but not waifu material.

I even like the English voice acting on Coco and Mimi.

Uh doing your class quests in take two is a good way to throw your rupies down the drain :homebrew:.

On the other hand ladder losses just mean larger win streaks when you switch to your best deck.

I'm not saying you deliberately go to arena to do your class quests. Just worry about them when you're there. If your goal is to have good decks to play on the ladder, slamming bad decks for 30 games until you finally get a quest for 20 gold is a bad way to do it. Obviously if your goal is just card acquisition as its own end, then yeah, liquidating your cards to build decks is not gonna work.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I faced basically constructed Elana's Prayer in arena.

It waited until I drafted another potential 5-0 sword deck to show up and jumped me on my first game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've won lots of games because of Dance of the Dead's 2 damage. I can only think of one where I lost because Dance of the Dead wasn't Execution, re: amulets. PTP won't play its titular card until the combo is out. Tons of amulets are bad to Execute. We really could use some banish options but it's probably hard to make playable ones that don't ruin Haven entirely.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 4, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I assume the answer is no, but do wins in private take two games count toward missions, achievements or any of that? I know they obviously don't give you a reward chest but it'd be nice to clear my bloodcraft wins or something without having to slam 300 unranked games hoping to get lucky.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does dshift have any hope against ptp forest? They don't seem to have to even commit anything to the board, leaving most of your cards dead.

edit: Just had another of the same matchup and I guess the guy just never drew his key card because he did nothing and let me walk all over him until he disconnected.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

trucutru posted:

Guys, I have a billion dragon missions and no dragon team or experience

Can anybody link me to a cheapo dragon deck for babbys?

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/face-dragoncraft Maybe try this without Forte? Swap in some cheap burn or other storm minions? It won't be nearly as good but decks going straight for the face will get free wins once in a while anyway.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got an animated one in my intro packs. I figure any dude that looks awesome as gently caress and has a continuing board effect that starts the turn he lands is worth keeping a while.

I ran into a Juno's Secret Lab deck in unranked. I beat it but it took me getting pretty lucky on a sequence of spells for me to outlast 2 of those things staggered a turn apart and then win with Dshifts. Was that some rogue brew or is there actually a Juno deck going around? I assume actual creature-focused decks kind of dunk all over it, but I've got no experience to speak to it one way or the other.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just hit B0 playing nothing but Storm Haven. I've got cheapo sword and spell runecraft but I'm not nearly as comfortable with them. Should I just tank my rank to start building toward another deck? I really like the flexibility of the forest decks I've been seeing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That feeling when you first-pick Rose Queen and get offered like 2 more fairy-making cards the whole draft. Forest's gimmick is big unwieldy fuckin 6-8 drops, right? And what business does an A-rank sword with Tsubaki and Otohime have meeting me in the 2-2 anyway?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 5, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

_jink posted:

forests gimmick is upending a trashcan full of fairies and finshing them off with rhinoceroach combos. Also be prepared to see legendaries in (almost) every deck; the first and last rounds of drafts are heavily weighted towards rare cards iirc

It was sarcastic. As in "hey where the gently caress are my fairies. Oh, I guess the new forest gimmick is all these useless dudes"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a cheap to mid-price Forest deck that would acquire things usable on the way to the pricey decks? I enjoy playing against Forest decks because when I lose it really feels like I was just outplayed. They seem like they have so many tricks and decision points and I love decks that have lots of moving resources around from zone to zone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got pointers on beating Blood aggro as Storm Haven? I find myself without the burst to end the game so I clear, attack when possible and pass. And that just chips me down until I have board control and then inevitably the last seven or so damage to finish me comes out of hand with direct damage or storm. There seems to be a lot of variety in what these decks are running after the Vania and bats phase.

edit: This is around B1. I'm considering swapping away from Storm Haven for a while because I'm running into lots of decks that make the 2/1s awkward or underperforming and good lord does the deck fall apart if you don't hit your curve. I'm still climbing but these guys have a rude way of interrupting my streaks.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 7, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the rationale behind more people playing the Sister Initiate version of Storm Haven rather than the Moon al Miraj one? I will say that version tends to beat me running the Moon one in the mirror but I dunno how it fares in other matches. Moon does a lot of work for me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I opened a fully animated pack topping off in animated Mythril Golem. I wanna liquefy him but I can't help but tell myself that a board wipe that leaves you a big body could punch its way into a meta if things slow down.

Clarste posted:

...Oh yeah. For some reason I've never seen her hit face, so I forgot she had Storm and not Rush. I guess everyone just wants to get maximum value out her regeneration.

Edit: But yes, Themis defines why it's hard to kill Haven.

Man, Moon's having up to 5 face damage out of hand is like the biggest reason I play her. The ability to clear/self-heal is just a nice backup that makes her better than like a Gilgamesh or something. Every once in a while she's there to clear but if I'm spending that much mana on one guy, I really want to be winning the game this turn.

Edit: Do we have an ETA on those free packs?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 8, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do they only run one Seraph? That'd put me like one legend away from a new list.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

14 silvers and one gold. One animated common.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What beats aggro vamp anyway? I've only played a couple variants of Storm Haven on the ladder and blood has a strong matchup against all of them. I'm not running into it enough to really justify leaving Haven behind, but I'm curious. Does Elana Haven get its poo poo together fast enough to kill em off?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lord Ephraim posted:

Got two packs from dailies, got Prince of Darkness and Lucifer. What the hell, why is my luck this good? :psyduck:

What the heck does Prince of Darkness do? It said it replaces your deck with a 10 card deck but there's no data about what cards are in it. Is one of the cards "you win!"?

There's a cheap 13/13. Massive direct damage spells that heal you. Storm damage. All sorts of massively unfair cards. If you're at parity when you play him, you probably win. But there are times you'll be behind and need to pull the 7-damage drain and instead draw a huge 13/13 body without ward and just die.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I tried out the more controlling Storm Haven list with two Decrees. I was skeptical but I've beaten Elana's Prayer twice and that would have never happened with the two Moons list I had.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

All the Elana decks waited until I dusted some poo poo to build Blood to show up. It was all Storm 20 minutes earlier.

edit: Seriously it was like 10 straight games of Storm and suddenly nobody's playing it. Ugh.

edit 2: After juggling win and loss for a while I finally hit a streak of decks soft to the plan. We B3 now boys.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Razory Claw's effect isn't simultaneous, and unlike Magic it doesn't check states only after the spell resolves. Meaning today I went for a draw when me and an opponent were burnt down to 2 life, and I clawed only myself to death. I didn't really have another option so I don't regret it, but heads up to anyone else wondering how that works.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sophism posted:

Also important to know, if you kill yourself during your turn, you are the one that loses. This is mostly relevant for simultaneous damage effects, like Demonic Storm. There's no actual way to draw as far as I know.

Man so I was hosed three DIFFERENT ways. Thanks for this one. I didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Agreeable Badger posted:

If you were playing against another aggro vamp when this happened, it was probably me. Happened to me on ladder not too long ago.

Nah, I was up against Sword. I had a weak hand but it ended in 3 burn spells. If he had almost any card other than that 6-cost command on his last turn, I'd have had the HP left for claw to burn the game out. So I mean, props to the guy for putting me in the position where the only burn combo available that could kill him wouldn't work. I don't know if he had a read on that particular play and how to stop it or just felt a lot of pressure and made the most aggressive play possible, but either way it worked.

• Locked thread