Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Within a half mile of my neighborhood's gated entrance I have everything I need. There's two supermarkets, two self improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot, two liquor shops, two boutique coffee shops (starbucks and panera bread which is also an artisanal bakery), many high quality restaurants like Applebee's and Outback, convenience stores, there's also the little eateries like chick fil a, McDonalds and taco bell to name a few.

I guess I could go on and on, but the point is I support local businesses and think everyone else should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
They don't sell X-Treme Fajitas and Jalapeno Poppers at "Los Tacos Numero Uno" down the street.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
disagree

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

What do you do? Go to the next town over? Shop local is my motto!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Our people have to be made to see that any time you take your dollar out of your community and spend it in a community where you don't live, the community where you live will get poorer and poorer, and the community where you spend your money will get richer and richer.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ya its good to spend local, but then maybe also Billy's Grill can get a goddamn dollar menu :shrug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
like, hey local locksmith, I need a key made but you dont carry the special kind that needs to be used for BMW so I guess I gotta go somewhere else :shrug:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
how will you express yourself through your consumer choices if everyone else is expressing themselves through the same consumer markets? doesn't your personalbrandity require you to distinguish yourself by expressing your ability to find obscure consumer outlets inner uniqueness?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I do go to the local liquor store when Im hard up, but at the same time why make an extra stop there when I could grab a bottle for the same price/less at the super market while
I get everything for my dinner. The liquor store doesnt sell fresh produce and meat. :shrug:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

RaySmuckles posted:

how will you express yourself through your consumer choices if everyone else is expressing themselves through the same consumer markets? doesn't your personalbrandity require you to distinguish yourself by expressing your ability to find obscure consumer outlets inner uniqueness?

If I'm feeling a little zany I go to Smoothie King and get something green but also really sweet. I bring it to work and people are like "gross!" but impressed by my daring.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nooner posted:

I do go to the local liquor store when Im hard up, but at the same time why make an extra stop there when I could grab a bottle for the same price/less at the super market while
I get everything for my dinner. The liquor store doesnt sell fresh produce and meat. :shrug:

I miss California because I could be so local it was just one or two stores.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
It's un-American to support small businesses. This is capitalism son you got to smash the little guy in order to destroy the competition. I say walk into Joe's deli, poo poo on the floor, pop the double bird and yell "gently caress you little man, McDonald's owns your rear end. LOSER!"

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

FlimFlam Imam posted:

It's un-American to support small businesses. This is capitalism son you got to smash the little guy in order to destroy the competition. I say walk into Joe's deli, poo poo on the floor, pop the double bird and yell "gently caress you little man, McDonald's owns your rear end. LOSER!"

Yep. Publix has an awesome deli and it's like a block away. There may be a Joes deli somewheres but it sure ain't local to me.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
amazon must be pretty local to me given that it arrives so quickly

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

What do you do? Go to the next town over? Shop local is my motto!

my noblesse oblige as a member of the global 1% mandates online purchases from poor countries, which seamlessly aligns with my uncontrolled social anxiety .

my motto is nemo me impune lacessit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It doesn't matter where you go, wall street gets their cut no matter what

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

King of Bees posted:

Yep. Publix has an awesome deli and it's like a block away. There may be a Joes deli somewheres but it sure ain't local to me.

Isn't Publix owned by its employees? Get your communist rear end out of here

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Moridin920 posted:

Our people have to be made to see that any time you take your dollar out of your community and spend it in a community where you don't live, the community where you live will get poorer and poorer, and the community where you spend your money will get richer and richer.

But that's good because then the poor community could burn down the rich community and take all their stuff.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mega64 posted:

But that's good because then the poor community could burn down the rich community and take all their stuff.

Sorry, they can't afford torches ans concrete doesn't burn

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Sorry, they can't afford torches ans concrete doesn't burn

gently caress they shoulda made the towers outta concrete then :doh:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Mega64 posted:

I think it goes the opposite way usually re: gentrification. But I'm not a demographistist. I only know about contrails.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i work for a local business we have over 1150 nation wide locations

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I wanted to support my local bike shop but the guy is a rude oval office so gently caress him

Business owners with no customer service skills piss me off

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BoonyPC posted:

I wanted to support my local bike shop but the guy is a rude oval office so gently caress him

Business owners with no customer service skills piss me off

when i moved away to college I needed to get a bike so I walked to like 4 different local bike shops to find something and no one had anything for less than $300. So then I walked to my local Walmart and got a bike for $50 :shrug:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nooner posted:

when i moved away to college I needed to get a bike so I walked to like 4 different local bike shops to find something and no one had anything for less than $300. So then I walked to my local Walmart and got a bike for $50 :shrug:

Beach cruisers rule. Spend an extra twenty and get some sweet ape hangars from your local amazon.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

King of Bees posted:

Within a half mile of my neighborhood's gated entrance I have everything I need. There's two supermarkets, two self improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot, two liquor shops, two boutique coffee shops (starbucks and panera bread which is also an artisanal bakery), many high quality restaurants like Applebee's and Outback, convenience stores, there's also the little eateries like chick fil a, McDonalds and taco bell to name a few.

I guess I could go on and on, but the point is I support local businesses and think everyone else should too.

FYI, some of those business are international. All Liquor is imported from space.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

King of Bees posted:

self improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot

:bagl:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i support local taco shops on da reg

also bars

also dealers

:gary:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rob Filter posted:

FYI, some of those business are international. All Liquor is imported from space.

No they are local to me and I support them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Local Businesses are small and dirty. I don't trust them to carry quality products at the low prices I've come to demand.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I try to support local businesses but it's difficult because other than food I don't purchase any products or services other than video games and alcohol, which I play and drink liberally.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Chomp8645 posted:

I try to support local businesses but it's difficult because other than food I don't purchase any products or services other than video games and alcohol, which I play and drink liberally.

Is there a game stop and 7/11 locally?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

where the hell did this thread come from

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It started in GBS friend.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hell

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Local businesses are expensive and suck. Also my job isn't tied to the local economy so I hope this city tanks and I can buy a cheap house in Neodetroit. Death to local businesses.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Local businesses are expensive and suck. Also my job isn't tied to the local economy so I hope this city tanks and I can buy a cheap house in Neodetroit. Death to local businesses.

Dang

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Why would you want to live in a shithole like Detroit?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Everyone in my town is an rear end in a top hat, op!*

*Except for me, I'm pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol people live in Detroit.

• Locked thread