Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010
I am a mail man of 5 years. Keeping a vehicle route worthy has been the bane of my existence since day one. I have torn the transmission out of a Dodge Dakota, a Jeep Cherokee (twice) and a Ford Escape.

My current main vehicle is a right hand drive 1995 Jeep Cherokee. It has been in the shop for 8 weeks for various repairs. So right now I'm delivering out of a 2004 Ford Escape. So far no major mechanical meltdowns in that one. But delivering mail out of a left hand drive vehicle isn't fun or healthy long term.

I'm going to need a new vehicle, and I need advice. My route is rural, I go up and down several large mountains. 70 miles per day, about 15 miles is gravel road. I need a vehicle that can drive up and down snow and ice covered mountains, and will not stay broke down when regular maintenance is performed. I also need it to have as least as much cargo space as a Ford Escape.

The new right hand drive jeep wranglers have a bad reputation in the mail world, a carrier I work with has had her engine rebuilt twice in a 2015 model. So the reviews, combined with the price has me very hesitant to purchase one.

I own a 1995 right hand drive Jeep Cherokee. I love it when it runs, but keeping it running has been incredibly expensive. Right hand drive Cherokees are commonly available for purchase, but I am hesitant due to my prior experience with them, and also the newest vehicle I could buy is a 2001 model. I have had bad previous experiences with Ford Escapes as well, so I do not want another Escape. They just haven't held up to the wear and tear of a mail route. My first route vehicle, a Dodge Dakota, actively tried to kill me in my first winter as a mailman. It's the vehicle that makes me question getting a truck, solely due to how poorly it handled slick roads.

Right now I am debating between purchasing a 4 door Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell or a Subaru Forester, but am open to consider anything. I want to put a right hand drive kit in it, so I am limited to vehicles on this list: http://postalthings.com/vehicle-list

A Subaru Forester has about 70 cubic feet of cargo space; would a 4 door Tacoma with a camper shell have at least as much cargo space? I'm having trouble finding figures online.

Would a Tacoma with snow tires go in the snow as well as a Forester? Do Foresters really go as well some people say? Most of the snow driving reviews I can find are from people who just drive to Walmart in a few inches of snow. I need to be able to climb up and go back down large snow covered mountains, usually well before the state scrapes and salts/gravels them.

Should I consider a different vehicle entirely? To sum it up I need a vehicle with at least 70 cubic feet of cargo space, something that is dependable when taken care of, can have a right hand drive kit installed, and will traverse mountains in the winter time.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much does the right hand drive conversion cost? Would importing a RHD vehicle be cheaper?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Autozam AZ1

reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010

InitialDave posted:

How much does the right hand drive conversion cost? Would importing a RHD vehicle be cheaper?

They are $1,950 for a DIY kit. I know a few people with them and they are happy with it. Not sure about importing, I believe there are issues with getting them approved as far as emissions and such go? I wish there were more choices for RHD in USA, other than just Jeep.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
You have to provide your own delivery vehicle? Being a mailman didn't seem like it could be much worse , wow.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
As a former CCA and LLV driver, I feel for you man. Would an off-lease/CPO/whatever Transit Connect be something you'd consider? It's designed as a delivery vehicle so it has plenty of cargo space and can stand the bangs and bumps. Also that site you linked has a conversion kit. Further, they make/sell them in Europe so there are probably actual RHD parts for the UK market for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, the importation rule is 25 years, right? And someone in Canada might already have imported something earlier? I'm thinking that something like an early-90s Toyota Landcruiser would fit the bill.

Alternatively, choosing a car where there are common RHD versions anyway, and you could buy an engineless front cut or something for the parts. Or if it's something like a Honda, a JAY-DEE-EMM BRAH front cut with an in-demand engine could come out cost nuetral by selling it on?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyota landcruiser troop carrier. Not fast or excessively comfy but loving unkillable.

Actually any landcruiser would do the job easily enough if you pulled the rear seats out and put a forward mounted cargo barrier in

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I assumed that the government provided postal vehicles. This is blowing my mind.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Why don't you just buy a 3k USD JDM import from Canada? https://b-pro.ca/jdm-cars-available/

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
1991 Mitsubishi Delica, just don't hit anything or you is dead. You'd need one that has a recent headgasket and cooling system though.
Or comedy Subaru Sambar.

More realistically though I'd give a big vote for the transit connect if you don't absolutely need 4wd. I drove some while looking for a kid hauler and will most likely buy one when my station wagon craps out. The double rear doors would be nice for deliveries.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 19, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I assumed that the government provided postal vehicles. This is blowing my mind.

Rural routes are a whole different ballgame than the city / suburban routes that get handled by LLVs (and Windstars for a while :lol: ).

reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010
Yep, rural carriers supply their own vehicles. And I am just a contract route driver, so I don't get any benefits either. My wife works for USPS too, though, so I get all of it through her. I love my job and my customers, the only real headache is keeping a vehicle running without going broke.

I love the Ford Transit Connect and think it's a great idea, but absolutely have to have 4WD or AWD for the winter months. My long term plan is to have a Ford transit connect for the warm months and whatever other vehicle I end up choosing to drive for the winter months.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
4runner. Get a 4runner.

Fun fact not known to most non-4runner owners - that back window goes up and down electrically.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 19, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

4runner. Get a 4runner.

or a jdm hilux surf, already rhd.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Powershift posted:

or a jdm hilux surf, already rhd.

Yeah surf would be even better but then it's gonna be a diesel more often than not which means when something on the engine breaks you're gonna be down for the count. Vs a 4runner where you'll be able to get parts everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love the surf and will eventually buy a turbodiesel one for wheeling but a daily driver postal vehicle needs to have parts available locally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah surf would be even better but then it's gonna be a diesel more often than not which means when something on the engine breaks you're gonna be down for the count. Vs a 4runner where you'll be able to get parts everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love the surf and will eventually buy a turbodiesel one for wheeling but a daily driver postal vehicle needs to have parts available locally.

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/HILUX_SURF/700051111630160822001/index.html

3vz, same as the us models, and 1/10th the mileage of anything stateside

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I did in fact think of that, and that's the v6 notable for blowing headgaskets like loving mad. If the route blows up brand new wranglers, I wouldn't want to be driving 25 year old toyota v6 that holds the dubious honor of being one of their worst, most unreliable engines. A 2rz/3rz one would be great though! If you can find a 4cyl from that era that would be perfect.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

reticulatus1775 posted:

Right now I am debating between purchasing a 4 door Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell or a Subaru Forester, but am open to consider anything. I want to put a right hand drive kit in it, so I am limited to vehicles on this list: http://postalthings.com/vehicle-list

Comedy option: 2001-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser

(sorry, I have no sensible ideas)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Comedy option:

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-subaru-sambar/

I know it's a lil' small but I bet you could throw a nice luggage rack on the roof...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

reticulatus1775 posted:

I have had bad previous experiences with Ford Escapes as well, so I do not want another Escape

Like? Because the 2.0L Zetec, 2.3L Duratec, and 3.0L Duratec are all great motors, the G5M in the escape fixes the differential pin issue on the one in the ZX2. Idk do you run on bald snow tires?

All I'm reading is "I don't want the best car based on the description provided in the thread"

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 20, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Import a J70 series land cruiser. There's plenty that are old enough to come in under the 25 year rule and Toyota still manufactures them (with only driveline changes over the years) too.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In all seriousness though trying to run an imported jdm 4x4 all day every day as your fleet vehicle is a really bad idea unless you also own a parts vehicle or something. This thing needs to be something available all over the USA because it WILL periodically require upkeep and when something breaks "order it from japan" is probably not going to be quick enough for a mail delivery vehicle used daily.

I would full endorse a land cruiser but it should be a usdm one, and the reasonably priced usdm ones are older, which he isn't going to want. This means newer toyota tacoma or 4runner, and I think the 4runner is better suited to driving all day as it's got a slightly nicer suspension. Maybe an fj cruiser if they have the right cargo space?

I would highly recommend a toyota over a subaru, subaru is great until you have headgasket issues or oil consumption issues (newer motors) which I am not convinced they will ever fully sort out with the boxer design. Most toyota trucks come with a rear locker too for those tight off camber mail delivery situations.

disclaimer - I own both a 4runner and an outback, they are both great for their own niche but to drive up and down mountains I take the 4runner every time

Edit: man i wish they offered the j70 here though, this thing is bad rear end.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 20, 2016

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
pre 89 hilux from down under; low rust wont die and if you get a 22r parts are everywhere in the entire world (seriously toyota made a million billion r motors)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Really? Even in Canada the most of our carriers are contract with their own vehicles, including rural routes.
Dodge minivans curiously seem to be very popular, I think they get a deal or something on them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would just spend the money on the newest, lowest mileage 4x4 Tacoma you can afford (I'm assuming you have access to right hand drive Tacomas) and drive it year round. A quad cab with a topper would be plenty of room, keep the heavy/large packages in the truck bed, then take the rear seats out of the cab and you'll have plenty of room to keep the regular mail type stuff to grab from the driver's seat. If you want reliability a Tacoma is about the best you're gonna get unless you import a land cruiser which will be costly.

Subarus are not known for their reliability, and a Forester is going to be nowhere near as capable as a 4x4 Tacoma in the conditions you are describing. Hell a 2wd Tacoma with good all terrain tires would probably do better.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 20, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Jesus flippin' christ don't get the Ford Transit Connect. Absolutely not a cold weather vehicle. We have one in our service fleet (Fire Alarm tech in Winnipeg) and the low ground clearance and poor visibility make it a terrible choice in the winter. Plus, the hood opens via key but key hole is covered with a Ford bezel which freezes shut and subsequently shatters rendering the whole thing inoperable. Gets hung up on ruts -all- the time, is completely gutless and has problems with its door sensors. The door-close sensors are mounted on plastic inserts that lose elasticity and break when it's cold/when they're used too much. Then the stupid thing turns on your 4 ways letting you know the door is open, so you can never signal turns until you fix the problem.

If you end up getting the Taco put some sandbags over the rear axle.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can we see pictures of this badass old jeep and how many miles does it have

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would just spend the money on the newest, lowest mileage 4x4 Tacoma you can afford (I'm assuming you have access to right hand drive Tacomas) and drive it year round. A quad cab with a topper would be plenty of room, keep the heavy/large packages in the truck bed, then take the rear seats out of the cab and you'll have plenty of room to keep the regular mail type stuff to grab from the driver's seat. If you want reliability a Tacoma is about the best you're gonna get unless you import a land cruiser which will be costly.

Subarus are not known for their reliability, and a Forester is going to be nowhere near as capable as a 4x4 Tacoma in the conditions you are describing. Hell a 2wd Tacoma with good all terrain tires would probably do better.

A first or second gen Forester in S trim with the rear LSD and good tires will be unstoppable. Even without the rear diff it will do well. Replace the head-gasket with an STI unit and you'll be good to go. Not that doing a preventative head-gasket is a small feat.

edit: The limited-slip started in 2000. The cold-weather package (seat heaters, heated mirrors, wiper de-icer) started coming standard on the S in 2000 though. It only has 66 cubic feet with the seats folded down though.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 20, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

really stuck up there posted:

pre 89 hilux from down under; low rust wont die and if you get a 22r parts are everywhere in the entire world (seriously toyota made a million billion r motors)

If you go this route, changing the timing chain and upgrading to steel-backed guides should be all you ever really need to do (and it needs to be done) and a 22R will likely outlast the rest of the vehicle. When it does finally die though, it'll blow a hole in the block one connecting rod at a time and keep running until each cylinder has finally given its all and then you can just bump the starter motor to get home. If you get one with a 22RE getting the injectors cleaned and rebuilt is a good idea as well. 22Rs are also still manufactured to some degree, it's still possible to get newly-cast blocks from Japan, or at least someone in glorious Nippon has a nos warehouse full of 'em.

Keep in mind this as well, 25+ years ago, Toyota was cheap wrt manufacturing RHD vs LHD. 90% of the time the difference is a couple of cutouts (on old cruiser's like mine) or alternate dash, and mirrored holes in the firewall. Gauge clusters, steering components, pedal components, etc, all usually just swap over with little other modification. These vehicles tend to have shitloads of room under the hood too, allowing easy relocation. Also, parts are massively available, even here in North America, though high-priced suspension upgrades on older models are no longer produced.

E:

Edit: man i wish they offered the j70 here though, this thing is bad rear end.

Blame California, literally. They're why the entire rest of the world can get brand new ones but the US and Canada have to get 25+ year old junkers from across the ocean.

Alternatively, find the oldest Prado you can, that's the closest we ever got.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 20, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

Really? Even in Canada the most of our carriers are contract with their own vehicles, including rural routes.
Dodge minivans curiously seem to be very popular, I think they get a deal or something on them.

Still seems bizarre to me as a Brit that you guys don't get the vehicles supplied by the company.

At the very least, I'd have thought the postal service would have great bulk buying power and would allow the carriers to take advantage of that.
Though that doesn't always work out well:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't a prius the obvious choice for all the starting and stopping? Won't work in the winter but the gas savings should pay for non snow month usage. You can get a prius rav4 though for all year usage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Still seems bizarre to me as a Brit that you guys don't get the vehicles supplied by the company.
You forget that great American cultural touchstone: loving over workers by loading the onus for things onto them, and claiming it gives them more choice/freedom. :911:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elephanthead posted:

Isn't a prius the obvious choice for all the starting and stopping? Won't work in the winter but the gas savings should pay for non snow month usage. You can get a prius rav4 though for all year usage.

I think you might be overestimating the gas savings. Assuming the current Jeep is seeing about 15 mpg, and the Prius gets the high estimate of 58 mpg, and gas price at $2.50/gal, that's about $2600 per year in gas savings...if he could drive the Prius every day, which he can't. So gas savings really aren't going to recoup the cost of purchasing anything. The Jeep he's getting rid of would take 2-3 years to pay for.

Edit: Actually that's just for a LHD version; RHD is going to cost more.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

InitialDave posted:

You forget that great American cultural touchstone: loving over workers by loading the onus for things onto them, and claiming it gives them more choice/freedom. :911:

Having everyone be a contractor and not actually employed by the USPS is how they can make the claim of having the same staffing levels as in the 70s while handling more mail.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

spog posted:

At the very least, I'd have thought the postal service would have great bulk buying power and would allow the carriers to take advantage of that.
Though that doesn't always work out well:

It's just drivers on rural routes that buy their own vehicles, I'm pretty sure.

Also comedy option for thread: Jeep DJ. The same, but different. Also incredibly cheap.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

It's just drivers on rural routes that buy their own vehicles, I'm pretty sure.

This guy had a round with only 20 houses in it and he got a company van.

Serious note; it's pretty cool that you love your job. it;s such a rare sentiment these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My friend's mail-carrying mom went from a Fairlady Z to a custom-ordered RHD WRX (yes, auto). She loved it and delivered fairly rural in ice storms, it never let her down.

I know, ain't cheap. Ticks all your boxes though

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

FZJ80. $6-10K, pull the very rear and middle row seats and you can fit half a house into em.

As long as its had a head gasket changed it should go for another 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
If its a rural route can't you just drive on the left side of the road when you get to a mailbox?

• Locked thread