Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010
I am a mail man of 5 years. Keeping a vehicle route worthy has been the bane of my existence since day one. I have torn the transmission out of a Dodge Dakota, a Jeep Cherokee (twice) and a Ford Escape.

My current main vehicle is a right hand drive 1995 Jeep Cherokee. It has been in the shop for 8 weeks for various repairs. So right now I'm delivering out of a 2004 Ford Escape. So far no major mechanical meltdowns in that one. But delivering mail out of a left hand drive vehicle isn't fun or healthy long term.

I'm going to need a new vehicle, and I need advice. My route is rural, I go up and down several large mountains. 70 miles per day, about 15 miles is gravel road. I need a vehicle that can drive up and down snow and ice covered mountains, and will not stay broke down when regular maintenance is performed. I also need it to have as least as much cargo space as a Ford Escape.

The new right hand drive jeep wranglers have a bad reputation in the mail world, a carrier I work with has had her engine rebuilt twice in a 2015 model. So the reviews, combined with the price has me very hesitant to purchase one.

I own a 1995 right hand drive Jeep Cherokee. I love it when it runs, but keeping it running has been incredibly expensive. Right hand drive Cherokees are commonly available for purchase, but I am hesitant due to my prior experience with them, and also the newest vehicle I could buy is a 2001 model. I have had bad previous experiences with Ford Escapes as well, so I do not want another Escape. They just haven't held up to the wear and tear of a mail route. My first route vehicle, a Dodge Dakota, actively tried to kill me in my first winter as a mailman. It's the vehicle that makes me question getting a truck, solely due to how poorly it handled slick roads.

Right now I am debating between purchasing a 4 door Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell or a Subaru Forester, but am open to consider anything. I want to put a right hand drive kit in it, so I am limited to vehicles on this list: http://postalthings.com/vehicle-list

A Subaru Forester has about 70 cubic feet of cargo space; would a 4 door Tacoma with a camper shell have at least as much cargo space? I'm having trouble finding figures online.

Would a Tacoma with snow tires go in the snow as well as a Forester? Do Foresters really go as well some people say? Most of the snow driving reviews I can find are from people who just drive to Walmart in a few inches of snow. I need to be able to climb up and go back down large snow covered mountains, usually well before the state scrapes and salts/gravels them.

Should I consider a different vehicle entirely? To sum it up I need a vehicle with at least 70 cubic feet of cargo space, something that is dependable when taken care of, can have a right hand drive kit installed, and will traverse mountains in the winter time.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010

InitialDave posted:

How much does the right hand drive conversion cost? Would importing a RHD vehicle be cheaper?

They are $1,950 for a DIY kit. I know a few people with them and they are happy with it. Not sure about importing, I believe there are issues with getting them approved as far as emissions and such go? I wish there were more choices for RHD in USA, other than just Jeep.

reticulatus1775
Oct 21, 2010
Yep, rural carriers supply their own vehicles. And I am just a contract route driver, so I don't get any benefits either. My wife works for USPS too, though, so I get all of it through her. I love my job and my customers, the only real headache is keeping a vehicle running without going broke.

I love the Ford Transit Connect and think it's a great idea, but absolutely have to have 4WD or AWD for the winter months. My long term plan is to have a Ford transit connect for the warm months and whatever other vehicle I end up choosing to drive for the winter months.

• Locked thread