Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elephanthead posted:

Isn't a prius the obvious choice for all the starting and stopping? Won't work in the winter but the gas savings should pay for non snow month usage. You can get a prius rav4 though for all year usage.

I think you might be overestimating the gas savings. Assuming the current Jeep is seeing about 15 mpg, and the Prius gets the high estimate of 58 mpg, and gas price at $2.50/gal, that's about $2600 per year in gas savings...if he could drive the Prius every day, which he can't. So gas savings really aren't going to recoup the cost of purchasing anything. The Jeep he's getting rid of would take 2-3 years to pay for.

Edit: Actually that's just for a LHD version; RHD is going to cost more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only issue there is that TJUs are relatively rare (and expensive), while 4-door JKs are more common than 2-door.

They also carry a $5-10k premium over 2-dr JKs.

Things to avoid in a JK: 2008s. They have oil consumption problems. Otherwise, 07-11 have the old 3.8L V6 which isn't particularly good or bad. Not as bulletproof as the old 4.0, but not unreliable either; slightly better fuel economy, similar aftermarket support, etc. 12+ has the 3.6L V6. Stick to 2014+, it seems like they've worked out the kinks. 2012-13 had issues with either casting sand or (more likely) poo poo chemistry on whatever they added to the coolant in the factory which causes PROBLEMS. Early 2012s had cylinder head issues which were resolved by the end of the year; there was no recall so potentially defective vehicles are on the road, but Chrysler extended the warranty for that issue to 10 year/150k miles. Basically you get a new bank 2 cylinder head; it's an odd problem that doesn't really impact driveability much, you just get a CEL and lose a couple MPG at worst.

Now that I've finished replacing the entire coolant system in my '12 and can drive it, I love it again. :) I've got plenty of space in the back with the seat removed - a 1-person, 2 minute task.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Also flannel and Sheryl Crow anthology.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kastein what's your opinion on the 4 cyl Jeep motors of those years? Was curious because I started looking just to see whats around with a manual and found a '99 2wd with 100k for 2 grand. I'm assuming it's probably gutless but if it's just as dependable as the 4.0 and more fuel efficient it might be worth a look.

I had a 1993 Wrangler with the 4 cylinder (so lighter than a Cherokee) and I averaged 13mpg. And yeah, gutless. Fairly reliable, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

It basically has the downsides of the 4.0 with none of the benefits.

Nailed it.

• Locked thread