Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
4runner. Get a 4runner.

Fun fact not known to most non-4runner owners - that back window goes up and down electrically.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Powershift posted:

or a jdm hilux surf, already rhd.

Yeah surf would be even better but then it's gonna be a diesel more often than not which means when something on the engine breaks you're gonna be down for the count. Vs a 4runner where you'll be able to get parts everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love the surf and will eventually buy a turbodiesel one for wheeling but a daily driver postal vehicle needs to have parts available locally.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I did in fact think of that, and that's the v6 notable for blowing headgaskets like loving mad. If the route blows up brand new wranglers, I wouldn't want to be driving 25 year old toyota v6 that holds the dubious honor of being one of their worst, most unreliable engines. A 2rz/3rz one would be great though! If you can find a 4cyl from that era that would be perfect.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Comedy option:

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-subaru-sambar/

I know it's a lil' small but I bet you could throw a nice luggage rack on the roof...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In all seriousness though trying to run an imported jdm 4x4 all day every day as your fleet vehicle is a really bad idea unless you also own a parts vehicle or something. This thing needs to be something available all over the USA because it WILL periodically require upkeep and when something breaks "order it from japan" is probably not going to be quick enough for a mail delivery vehicle used daily.

I would full endorse a land cruiser but it should be a usdm one, and the reasonably priced usdm ones are older, which he isn't going to want. This means newer toyota tacoma or 4runner, and I think the 4runner is better suited to driving all day as it's got a slightly nicer suspension. Maybe an fj cruiser if they have the right cargo space?

I would highly recommend a toyota over a subaru, subaru is great until you have headgasket issues or oil consumption issues (newer motors) which I am not convinced they will ever fully sort out with the boxer design. Most toyota trucks come with a rear locker too for those tight off camber mail delivery situations.

disclaimer - I own both a 4runner and an outback, they are both great for their own niche but to drive up and down mountains I take the 4runner every time

Edit: man i wish they offered the j70 here though, this thing is bad rear end.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 20, 2016

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think at this point given the terrain, storage and reliability requirements, its safe to say your vehicle is a Toyota 4x4. Up to you to determine whether Tacoma, 4runner, landcruiser, whatever. Tacoma is probably most utilitarian, followed by 4runner. Land cruisers are great but will get worse mpg with the tradeoff being offroadability. But any Toyota 4x4 will be able to eat your route up with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Having owned both of those vehicles, Tacoma is so much better from the viewpoint of reliability and lack of headaches/parts randomly failing. I mean for banging around off road a Cherokee is what you want but for a mail delivery vehicle that gets driven on dirt - Tacoma all day long.

Just fluid film the poo poo outta the frame each fall.

• Locked thread