Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would just spend the money on the newest, lowest mileage 4x4 Tacoma you can afford (I'm assuming you have access to right hand drive Tacomas) and drive it year round. A quad cab with a topper would be plenty of room, keep the heavy/large packages in the truck bed, then take the rear seats out of the cab and you'll have plenty of room to keep the regular mail type stuff to grab from the driver's seat. If you want reliability a Tacoma is about the best you're gonna get unless you import a land cruiser which will be costly.

Subarus are not known for their reliability, and a Forester is going to be nowhere near as capable as a 4x4 Tacoma in the conditions you are describing. Hell a 2wd Tacoma with good all terrain tires would probably do better.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Now that I think about it, a later year TJ Wrangler (like an '03 to '06) would be perfect, still can find them with low miles and they run forever. I see right hand drive TJs for sale now and then, shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

Does it have enough cargo space? I thought room for a lot of stuff was also a requirement?

He was talking earlier about other carriers using the JK but having mechanical issues, so the next logical choice would be a later model TJ, if he needed more space over a standard Wrangler he could always go with an Unlimited.

I would imagine that even if he got a left hand drive Jeep, converting it to right hand drive shouldn't be all that difficult.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If that's the case he's probably just better off going with a later model standard TJ.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Do like I did and get two of them. Work on one and drive the other :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Having owned both of those vehicles, Tacoma is so much better from the viewpoint of reliability and lack of headaches/parts randomly failing. I mean for banging around off road a Cherokee is what you want but for a mail delivery vehicle that gets driven on dirt - Tacoma all day long.

Just fluid film the poo poo outta the frame each fall.

I agree if you want just one vehicle for overall use, get a Tacoma. If you go Cherokee get two of them, or maybe a Wrangler for delivery and something else for a DD.

Tons of rust free Cherokees down south, you could easily pick up a pair in good to excellent condition down here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kastein what's your opinion on the 4 cyl Jeep motors of those years? Was curious because I started looking just to see whats around with a manual and found a '99 2wd with 100k for 2 grand. I'm assuming it's probably gutless but if it's just as dependable as the 4.0 and more fuel efficient it might be worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well so much for that then :v:

Good thing I asked because I'll be looking at Wranglers soon too, although it's going to really narrow the search as it seems more than half of them around here are 4 bangers :(

• Locked thread