Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Crazy Ted posted:

More likely that Donald's people told him to prep for such a question but he had not a single gently caress to give.

Oh I'm sure someone on his campaign staff thought of it, but getting Trump to prepare for anything is probably a nightmare. He probably sees requiring preparation as a sign of weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Good by-round breakdown by the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-na-pol-third-presidential-debate-scorecard/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lars Blitzer posted:

Oh? Do tell. I kinda glossed over much of what the Cheeto McTinyhands-In-Chief was saying.

He described cesarean section births as abortions. As nutso as that sounds, it is literally what the man said.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait a minute, did hillary reveal our nuclear response time on live tv?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

spit on my clit posted:

how would you even know if she did

and who gives a poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Periodiko posted:

how would you even know if she did

and who gives a poo poo

Yeah, what am I thinking, this isn't the first time she's lied about something

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Assassination of the Coward Donald Trump by the Hero, Hillary Clinton.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/788917471399014402

ah nevermind, she did it on twitter, too

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I honestly think that Hillary's best line of the night was when she said she had completely planned out the US Budget

Because I can honestly believe and imagine her sitting at a table in her house painstakingly creating a balanced budget by hand because that is exactly the kind of person she's always sold herself as being.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I feel like that's something we already knew from Command and Control.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I actually thought Trump was more coherent and on message tonight when compared to the other debates. He said some reprehensible things, but that comes with the territory of being the GOP candidate for POTUS. It's damning with faint praise, but that was his best debate.

Only problem was, I think that was clearly Clinton's best debate as well. In fact, I can't remember seeing a better debate performance in my life. Nailed every answer, knew exactly when and how to attack and when and how to sell her own message. There was no hesitating, she demonstrated her competency in every area of policy, and did a good job of communicating it to the audience. People talk about 2008 Obama, but I don't think his debate performances have ever been that strong. Think she might have walked over him tonight, to say nothing of an intellectual peon like trump.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Blurred posted:

Only problem was, I think that was clearly Clinton's best debate as well. In fact, I can't remember seeing a better debate performance in my life. Nailed every answer, knew exactly when and how to attack and when and how to sell her own message. There was no hesitating, she demonstrated her competency in every area of policy, and did a good job of communicating it to the audience. People talk about 2008 Obama, but I don't think his debate performances have ever been that strong. Think she might have walked over him tonight, to say nothing of an intellectual peon like trump.
Maybe she did really well on points but since when has that mattered at all about anything ever, in American politics.

I agree she did well, but let's not get carried away here. The purpose of the debate is to win the election (or increase your margin of victory, as the case may be) and on that point she could have done better, even if the debate club folks think she killed it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Like she had a great opportunity to dunk on him about his billion-dollar loss (when he brought up the DOS spending a billion dollars on some bullshit or whatever he was talking about), and whiffed it. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the smackdown there, but it never came. She absolutely should have, during the Second Amendment talk, tied his stop-and-frisk comments around his neck and thrown him off the rhetorical bridge, but she missed it.

Hillary just really doesn't do zingers unless they're prepared in advance, and while of course that means gently caress-all about her ability to be President it does make for a poorer candidate.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus, I hope Trump's quip about keeping people in suspense over whether he will concede the election if he loses is just an empty threat.

Though sometimes I wonder if Trump's not implying that his followers are going to start some poo poo, but if he's going to beg Putin to do something about it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

There's no upside to her attempting to use zingers, though, as she learned with "Trumped up trickle down." It was pretty clear Trump was going to lose the debate with or without her doing anything to make him lose.

When he' s scoring own goals left and right who cares if she just runs out the clock? "Obama's deported so many people." "Nobody respects women more than I do." "Such a nasty woman." "I never criticized their looks." "I'll keep you in suspense."

What upside do you see in her taking the risk of trying to do something elaborate when poo poo like that is pouring out of his mouth constantly?

I also thought her doing her "boy who cried wolf," routine with the "rigged," claims was very effective. She was even able to poison the topic of the FBI investigation into her e-mails by tying it to all the other things he's claimed are "rigged."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 20, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spit on my clit posted:

well at least she revealed trump's nuclear response time on live tv lmao

would really like to see trump try to referee a child's soccer game at this point without melting down

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I would not be at all surprised if 'Trumped up, trickle down' was intended to be a lovely plastic response to signal that she's the status quo, stability candidate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Jesus, I hope Trump's quip about keeping people in suspense over whether he will concede the election if he loses is just an empty threat.

Well...a threat is a kind of promise. So there's no reason to believe he'll follow through on it

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ErIog posted:

There's no upside to her attempting to use zingers, though, as she learned with "Trumped up trickle down." It was pretty clear Trump was going to lose the debate with or without her doing anything to make him lose.

When he' s scoring own goals left and right who cares if she just runs out the clock?
"Trumped up trickle-down" is really obviously prepared food for the older crowd who tend to watch the debates more and love dumb jokes like that. It fell flat with everyone else but I can imagine a mid-fifties centrist Democrat in the suburbs thinking it's neat.

On the other hand interjecting with "you're one to talk about losing a billion dollars, Donald" is burn-unit quality by Presidential debate standards, and the cognitive dissonance suffered by gun nuts everywhere as Hillary Goddamn Clinton goes to the mat for the 2nd Amendment and excoriates Donald Trump for nationwide stop-and-frisk is, all on its own, worth probably half a percent in the national margin from depressed turnout on the GOP side.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ErIog posted:

I also thought her doing her "boy who cried wolf," routine with the "rigged," claims was very effective. She was even able to poison the topic of the FBI investigation into her e-mails by tying it to all the other things he's claimed are "rigged."
Yeah you're right she did get some good ones in, although I was especially disappointed she didn't bring up the stop-and-frisk poo poo. I'm a glass half-empty person, I guess, so I'll tend to notice the stuff she didn't do that I thought she should have, instead of the good stuff she did :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

woke wedding drone posted:

Well...a threat is a kind of promise. So there's no reason to believe he'll follow through on it

I can see him challenging the results and whining about it like the gigantic baby that he is even if the recount shows that the only person in the world that voted for Donald was himself. The crazy, paranoid side of me is worried that he's trying to say that he's doing his best to rig the election or have someone else rig it for him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kilroy posted:

On the other hand interjecting with "you're one to talk about losing a billion dollars, Donald" is burn-unit quality by Presidential debate standards

Your burn-unit quality zinger here has her deflecting a false claim about the State Department in a way that makes it sound like the State Department actually lost 6 billion dollars.

As Trump has found out, saying "No you," makes the person saying it sound skeezy and guilty as hell.

This is why Hillary didn't immediately go after the Trump Foundation when Trump said his "Clinton Foundation is a criminal enterprise," line.

edit: vvv sorry for my late edit, your amended zinger is much better vvv

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 20, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ErIog posted:

Your burn-unit quality zinger here has her deflecting a false claim about the State Department in a way that makes it sound like the State Department actually lost 6 billion dollars.

It never happened. There's no reason for deflection.
Fine. "You're the only one on this stage that's lost a billion dollars, Donald." I didn't know how much substance there was to the accusation. I assume she does, so could craft a better response - either deflecting or shutting down outright, as appropriate.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kilroy posted:

Fine. "You're the only one on this stage that's lost a billion dollars, Donald." I didn't know how much substance there was to the accusation. I assume she does, so could craft a better response - either deflecting or shutting down outright, as appropriate.

I personally think the $6 billion attack caught her off guard. I follow conservative media and even I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. When I looked it up it turned out that it was a willful misinterpretation of an IG report that came out 2 years ago.

His claim that $6 billion was lost on her watch is categorically false, but the basis for it doesn't make her look good either since it points to people mismanaging paperwork in the department she ran. So her calling it out as false then pushing forward so as not to draw attention to it I think was her best option.

As a debate watcher I understand your feeling, though. I mean, I hate Trump, but the fact that Trump put in such pathetic debate performances was incredibly annoying to watch. The painful part wasn't him falling for the bait every time so much as he also had no ability to score any points. It was like watching a little league game where one team is entirely outmatched, but you know it's only the first inning so...

Hillary's debate performances were very good, but there were times where he just let her deflect and waltz around. It's like he has the short term memory of a goldfish.

People were worried he'd Gish Gallop her, but it turned out she ended up Gish Galloping him by accident since he would get distracted by her deflections. "Honest Abe," was a great example.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 20, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Star Man posted:

Trump is, if not a fascist, then at least an extreme narcissist even by american politics standards. This means the idea of him losing doesn't exist in his mind space, or more specifically that subconsiously his brain is fiercely rejecting the idea, that he could potentially not be a great person, at every turn. The reason he's pursuing this completely irrelevant and suicidal topic is because subconciously he is preparing a way to protect his own ego in case he loses. He needs to have an excuse ready way in advance because he just Can. Not. admit defeat - his ego is not equipped to handle that notion. This is also why when pressed on the issue he refuses to agree to accept the result of the outcome - because if the outcome is that he loses, the most important thing is to be able to portray himself to himself as anything else than a loser. It's more important to him than winning. He would rather guarantee a loss where he can blame others, than take the risk of winning if it also meant he had no excuse if he loses.

This all sounds funny and stuff but this is the same kind of personality that you will find in most dictators. It's the same type of logic that humans in positions of power use to justify murder and genocide, rigging elections, and yeah you get it by now. It's genuinely terrifying that a person like this is in the running for POTUS. He is absolutely the kind of ruler who under pressure could, given that he can see a way to blame the situation and his actions on other, respond by firing off a nuke if he thinks it will let him take back control of the situation into his hands.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 20, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

This is a great article about why Hillary deserves more credit for her debate performances this cycle than she's been getting:
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/19/13340828/hillary-clinton-debate-trump-won

I know it seems like she misses opportunities and like she could be doing better, but she's mostly just sticking to executing her strategy rather than making game time decisions.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

quote:

You can tell by the way Hillary had a prepared statement that was comprehensive and never mentioned Trump that she was anticipating that kind of question.

I mean, our future President Knope probably preps those statements for fun. I like that we are transitioning from Cool Guy President to one of the nerdiest politicians this side of NerdTown. ::allears::

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Everyone gets that Hilary basically needs to use zingers very sparingly or large parts of the country will take the narrative she is a bitchy catty shrew, right? Society only has a couple stereotypes of how people think of leaders who are women and a lot of them aren't great and there is large numbers of people that don't take sick burns coming from women real well.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would not be at all surprised if 'Trumped up, trickle down' was intended to be a lovely plastic response to signal that she's the status quo, stability candidate.

That felt like Tim Kaine's literal sole contribution to debate prep.

Kilroy posted:

Yeah you're right she did get some good ones in, although I was especially disappointed she didn't bring up the stop-and-frisk poo poo. I'm a glass half-empty person, I guess, so I'll tend to notice the stuff she didn't do that I thought she should have, instead of the good stuff she did :(

Stop and frisk is a dog whistle for racial profiling, something that conservative white people agree with.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

howe_sam posted:

He described cesarean section births as abortions. As nutso as that sounds, it is literally what the man said.

I think under the strictest definitions they are, in fact, abortions in that they do prematurely end the pregnancy. They just don't (usually) end with the death of the fetus.

So he's only wrong by every commonly understood meaning, but correct in a uselessly pedantic sense.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Someone posted this on facebook and I totally agree. "We'll see" is what parents say to their kids when they really mean "No".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Who What Now posted:

So he's only wrong by every commonly understood meaning, but correct in a uselessly pedantic sense.

"Technically Correct" being, of course, the best way to be correct.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

'Trumped up trickle down' would of been a better zinger for a campaign spokesperson rather than for Hillary herself. Hell, it'd work for Kaine in that 'lame dad joke' kind of way.

I liked how during the debate Trump kept bringing up China's 7% growth rate. You know, the growth rate that's only ever released by party controlled state media with nothing of substance to actually verify it. Based on what's been going around the Chana Economics thread the last year or two that number is either super phony or it's a figure being propped up by a financial speculative bubble that would make the US's 2008 housing crisis look like baby's nap time. Everything that I've heard RE: China has been that their imports are way down and the government is basically feeding pension money to the gods of the stock market to keep their whole house of cards from collapsing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Obama deported 3 million people. How many will Hillary deport

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stallion Cabana posted:

I honestly think that Hillary's best line of the night was when she said she had completely planned out the US Budget

Because I can honestly believe and imagine her sitting at a table in her house painstakingly creating a balanced budget by hand because that is exactly the kind of person she's always sold herself as being.

With a four-function calculator and multiple sharpened pencils at the ready.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

Obama deported 3 million people. How many will Hillary deport

about 310 million people

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bisse posted:

Trump is, if not a fascist, then at least an extreme narcissist even by american politics standards.
If this whole thing is a publicity stunt to start Trump Media then this is more like the most obnoxious abuse of the political system ever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

"Trumped up trickle-down" is really obviously prepared food for the older crowd who tend to watch the debates more and love dumb jokes like that. It fell flat with everyone else but I can imagine a mid-fifties centrist Democrat in the suburbs thinking it's neat.

Watched the first debate in a bar filled with mid-fifties centrist Democrats, they ate that poo poo up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I thought Hillary's response to the "can you say that you didn't let the Clinton foundation influence you when we clearly think it did??" question was weak but it was a bullshit question founded on misrepresentation of the facts so I guess it's probably not the worst thing that she just ignored that and didn't try to get into "no actually this is how it is..."

I can also see how some people would feel Trump won because when he really gets going throwing out all the accusations and lies, half truths, and everything else it starts coming off as he's scoring points...but the problem is that it's all the same stuff he's said before and been fact checked on before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Levitate posted:

I thought Hillary's response to the "can you say that you didn't let the Clinton foundation influence you when we clearly think it did??" question was weak but it was a bullshit question founded on misrepresentation of the facts so I guess it's probably not the worst thing that she just ignored that and didn't try to get into "no actually this is how it is..."

As an answer to the question, it was terrible. As a pivot that somehow managed to turn a question about her foundation into trump ranting about russia, it was loving incredible and I'm still a little surprised she pulled it off so well.

• Locked thread