Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm not particularly enamoured with the idea that Mrs Booth was responsible for the show all along or is a cultist to the show. The original story works because there's this strange, almost supernatural television show that none of the adults know about but all the kids watch, and it's just sinister and maybe evil. it reeks of trying to explain the mystery and uhhhhh do we really need that?

also i would prefer that 'burning dude in the hallway' in that brief vision in episode one to turn one, that guy looks great after so many shots of the tooth child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm not particularly enamoured with the idea that Mrs Booth was responsible for the show all along or is a cultist to the show. The original story works because there's this strange, almost supernatural television show that none of the adults know about but all the kids watch, and it's just sinister and maybe evil. it reeks of trying to explain the mystery and uhhhhh do we really need that?

It's better than a secret Nazi experiment as the fanfic sequels propose. But really, it's not like the original was at all subtle re: the screaming episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Saddest Rhino posted:

also i would prefer that 'burning dude in the hallway' in that brief vision in episode one to turn one, that guy looks great after so many shots of the tooth child

Some people get really mad if stuff isn't explained. A lot of people also get mad if it turns out the victims were completely innocent and did nothing to deserve supernatural punishment (though this may be more a western/american thing, asian horror seems fine with loving over people who have done nothing wrong). I think a too ambiguous ending with no clear villain would be unsatisfying for much of the TV audience. Remember all the mad people when Lost ended with basically none of the Island's mysteries explained?

In a movie it wouldn't matter as much. But with an ongoing series, they want people to come back next season. Leaving people unsatisfied could hurt ratings down the road.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a middle ground between "explain nothing, nothing matters, there's no logic to anything" and "humorless buzzkill wants a five hundred page user's manual with every episode".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some people get really mad if stuff isn't explained. A lot of people also get mad if it turns out the victims were completely innocent and did nothing to deserve supernatural punishment (though this may be more a western/american thing, asian horror seems fine with loving over people who have done nothing wrong). I think a too ambiguous ending with no clear villain would be unsatisfying for much of the TV audience. Remember all the mad people when Lost ended with basically none of the Island's mysteries explained?

In a movie it wouldn't matter as much. But with an ongoing series, they want people to come back next season. Leaving people unsatisfied could hurt ratings down the road.

I was expecting a more Asian horror experience, I think. the thing that scares me the most when i watched Ju-On as a kid was not the ghosts or whatever, but the idea that you will definitely get yourself killed solely for entering into The Worst House in Tokyo or being associated to someone who has entered it, and there's no solution or cure and it's just a death sentence. like a horror cancer that just kills you immediately solely because you are you. the one death i always recall was the sister of the first girl who entered the house, watching television in bed and then getting disappeared when the ghost appears under the blanket

i think the difference between Ju-On and Lost, just to put that parallel, is that the Ju-On narrative never posed any big question or mystery that requires answering (other than who the ghosts were - i think it's never even asked what they wanted), whereas Lost was just piling on one question after another until it all has to swept under the rug because the writers with the answers left or whatever.

maybe it's because the show is this slow-moving that it gives me asian horror vibes - even the plot of mike being his brother's murderer, eddie having killed kids for seemingly no reason and having exhibited no powers are very asian horror like.

but yeah, i can definitely see why they needed to write in such a way that could get people to come back, even though it's slated to be an anthology show. i mean who wouldn't want channel zero: bart is dead in 2019?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I had a mate object to the movie Dog Soldiers, because it didn't explain where the werewolves in rural scotland came from.

1408 has all the explanation any horror film needs: "It's an evil loving room"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WickedHate posted:

There's a middle ground between "explain nothing, nothing matters, there's no logic to anything" and "humorless buzzkill wants a five hundred page user's manual with every episode".

Haha, I'm not falling for that trick again. SA has firmly established that the truth is never somewhere in the middle.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had a mate object to the movie Dog Soldiers, because it didn't explain where the werewolves in rural scotland came from.

1408 has all the explanation any horror film needs: "It's an evil loving room"

1408 was great. I'm glad it never got a sequel, they would have tried some lame explanation for sure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Like, with 1408, I also love the brevity. I can accept that demons and monsters and all that poo poo exists, in a vampire movie it's a given vampires are a thing, so sure, in the universe of this movie the fact that this room is just an evil supernatural entity is perfectly acceptable. In the original Candle Cove, too, the mystry was a big part of the short story. But with something as big as Channel Zero, as big a narrative it is, I'll be pretty drat disappointed if it just ends with some weird Neon Genesis Evangelion poo poo and everything that happened just happened because.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'd prefer it to just be a creepy supernatural force and not this lady controlling everything. But it is what it is. I'll reserve my judgment until we see what it is. I also agree that the tooth kid feels really tacked on and unnecessary but maybe they'll pull it all together. They're doing enough right that I'm willing to let them finish before I cast judgment.

My argument has always been that I'm willing to accept 1 totally unexplained, impossible premise. "Zombies are possible." Cool. "Vampires exist." Ok. "This house is haunted." Works for me. I'm willing to accept that premise at face value or else I wouldn't be watching. Its when you start piling things on or trying to make it too complicated that it starts to fall apart. Once you start asking questions and giving answers then you force your viewers to start thinking about it more than they should.

I didn't know what the gently caress Pennywise was and I didn't care. He was evil, he was killing kids, and he gave me nightmares. That was enough.

WickedHate posted:

Well, the one had a point-they are kids. It's hard for a regular innocent housewife to kill someone, much less a child. The gun might not even have been loaded and she just carried it around to feel safer thinking she could scare off a mugger or something.

Her husband gave her the gun at the start of the episode and she didn't want it. So yeah, its a mother who has probably never fired a gun and has only had it in her purse for a day who hesitated at the idea of gunning down a bunch of kids in her living room. That's totally understandable. The whole thing happened quickly and once she got slashed she tried to run and it just turned out the kids had a really good ambush plan.

WickedHate posted:

Mike calmly asking if something was behind him, turning around, and just loving walking out was hilarious.

That was indeed funny/creepy. The kind of unspoken aspect that Mike has been seeing this sort of poo poo for so long that he's basically made peace with it is really unnerving. When he saw Jawbone he reached out to touch him and when the penis thing talked to him he just went back to bed. Mike's desensitized to creepy puppet monsters.

But I'm not.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 2, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think the teacher lady is necessarily controlling things, just more aware of what is going on. When Eddie came to take her son she looked pretty unhappy about the whole thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what to think of that scene, and I wasn't even clear where in the timeline that fit. Did that happen after Eddie was already under the spell of Candle Cove or was it Booth who introduced Eddie to Candle Cove to connect him with her son somehow? I thought there might be a kind of implication that Candle Cove is basically a "virus" that Eddie passed on to Mike and all the other kids.

The fact that she had what appears to be the original Candle Cove puppets in her basement and has been directing these kids to "recreate" Candle Cove does seem to imply that she's behind this. But of course she could just be serving something else or who knows what?

Its all just a little too confusing right now to make sense of. Either they'll pull it together by the end or they just messed up by making it more complicated than it had to be. We'll see.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 2, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if she's intentionally bringing it back somehow because she thinks she can get her son back from Candle Cove or something? Maybe the Skin-Taker was like, pfft, sure, haha, do this and that and, snicker, we'll give you your kid back. Yeah you just, haha, have to keep giving this tooth kid teeth and he'll turn into your son.

And then when it absorbs enough teeth it turns out it's Not Her Son or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the tooth thing was part of the '88 Candle Cove too because all the dead kids were missing their teeth. So the Tooth Kid was presumably around then too, or something. I dunno.

I really don't understand anything about that kid. He doesn't even seem all that threatening except to dental health.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, I'm not sure if Ms. Booth is in control, but she does seem to be the point where everything connects.

Maybe Skintaker/Jawbone is an eldritch horror trying to break into our world. He needs a vessel. So he's spent the last 30+ years manipulating people into building him a tooth body.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teeth are part of your skeleton, checks out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I do like the increased menace of the tv show in the modern world. In 1988 most households had one or two TVs. Now most households have a couple tvs plus computers, tablets, smartphones - screens are everywhere around you all the time and Candle Cove can manifest on any of them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if Ms. Booth is in control, but she does seem to be the point where everything connects.

Maybe Skintaker/Jawbone is an eldritch horror trying to break into our world. He needs a vessel. So he's spent the last 30+ years manipulating people into building him a tooth body.

I mean, there was a reason that I brought up Pennywise as just the same kind of horrific force trying to break free and loving with the kids to do so.

But again, that kind of makes Booth, the Tooth Kid, and an actual puppet show feel kind of extraneous and like it kind of takes away from the horror of just an evil force that can gently caress with you without all that help. But maybe Booth is just like a "priestess" or something. I'm curious to see.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

Teeth are part of your skeleton, checks out.

I've been thinking along those lines too:

WickedHate posted:

So, I'm starting to think that the Tooth Child might be Jawbone/The Skin-Taker? They both make the rattling sound and there was a point made of teeth being bones and that every time you smile you're "showing off your skeleton". Maybe it's a baby Skin-Taker that hasn't evolved to a full skeleton yet and this is how Skin-Takers reproduce?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I do like the increased menace of the tv show in the modern world. In 1988 most households had one or two TVs. Now most households have a couple tvs plus computers, tablets, smartphones - screens are everywhere around you all the time and Candle Cove can manifest on any of them.

It's like a supernatural Black Mirror. The bit with the computers was really good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WickedHate posted:

I've been thinking along those lines too:

Cool.

At this point the worst thing about the show is the wait between episodes. :argh: After marathoner a few series over the summer, having to wait a whole week for the next episode is maddening.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

STAC Goat posted:

I really don't understand anything about that kid. He doesn't even seem all that threatening except to dental health.

The way he eats out of people's hands is kind of adorable tbh :3:

Like I get what they were going for, I think, but boy is he not really threatening at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That weird scene where he was creeping on Mike in bed I thought he was eating his fingers or something? Like maybe the finger nail is the same deal as the teeth or something?

But apparently he just snuck in to suck on Mike's fingers or lick his palm or something? That's weird, but I'm not exactly scared.

I just really don't get it. I'm guessing the kid will turn out to be kind of harmless and kind of an unwilling victim of Booth, Jawbone/Skin Walker, and the Candle Cove thing. Like some lovely thing forced on him/her from the evil characters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It turns out it's a morality play about not judging people by appearances. Toothboy just wants to be friends. :3:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought the Toothguy sucking on Mikes fingers was just in a dream.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So has it been confirmed that No End House is season 2? It's an awesome story and all but I really can't see making a whole season around it. It's a very self contained story. Candle Cove you could easily expand on, but No End House really works only in it's original format or in a short film.

I'd say a better choice would be 1999 (I think that's what it's called?) that one was always the creepiest of all the stories. Though I suppose it shares a similar premise to CC (creepy TV show) so maybe it wouldn't work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Channel Zero: Abandoned By Disney Fictional Family Entertainment Corporation

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The book Pen Pals was originally a creepy pasta series right? That would be PERFECT as a season. It's scary as hell and hits a lot of really deep seeded fears in people and it's long enough to expand into a season.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I never really got the impression Tooth Child was supposed to be intimidating in the sense the shark from Jaws is intimidating, just that it's meant to be inherently unnerving from what kind of being it is.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Tooth kid has to be the old woman's son, right? She is motherly towards it, as far as I can remember in a few scenes.

Pulling this out of my rear end, but perhaps the old woman wasn't the original creator of Candle Cove as the show implied with the puppets in her basement. Maybe they are there because she created the new wave of Candle Cove shows, and she did so because she is its new caretaker. The show took her kid like it took the others but she offered to help Candle Cove continue to exist/take kids if it gave her son back, except it monkey paw'ed her and gave her back a creepy tooth kid.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
What if the old lady just saw Candle Cove when SHE was a kid? Like, imagine if Eddie hadn't been stopped, and instead grew up to become a semi-functioning adult (that sometimes killed people). The old lady has her own puppets, but so did that one weird neckbeard guy (admittedly, his puppets were lower quality). She can still see the show for the same reason Mike can.

I still have no idea wtf tooth kid is, but it's possible the old teacher is less the caretaker or master or maker of Candle Cove, and more that she's just one more crazy kid that got dragged in during one of the show's older runs (which would also mean the show's ran more than just the two times).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lunatic Sledge posted:

What if the old lady just saw Candle Cove when SHE was a kid? Like, imagine if Eddie hadn't been stopped, and instead grew up to become a semi-functioning adult (that sometimes killed people). The old lady has her own puppets, but so did that one weird neckbeard guy (admittedly, his puppets were lower quality). She can still see the show for the same reason Mike can.

I still have no idea wtf tooth kid is, but it's possible the old teacher is less the caretaker or master or maker of Candle Cove, and more that she's just one more crazy kid that got dragged in during one of the show's older runs (which would also mean the show's ran more than just the two times).

This is a very, very good theory.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Seems plausible. I don't remember seeing Toothboy in the 88 flashbacks, but they were already collecting teeth back then. (Both as a toll and from the corpses.) Each kid would have somewhere between 20 and 28 teeth depending on age, and Toothboy looks to be made from thousands of teeth. Just his 'skin' would take thousands of teeth, even more if his internal structures are also teeth. So yeah, they could have been building Toothboy for a lot longer than 30 years.

If Mrs. Booth is in on it, she may believe her son has gone to Candle Cove as promised. He's not dead, he's just not here. If she assists then maybe she can go to Candle Cove too. Be with her son and others that she lost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see Candle Cove being a name for some kind of pocket dimension or Other Place where Something is lurking, and by sending people to Candle Cove they're feeding it. Ms Booth could easily be working for this entity in exchange for getting her son back. Though they showed her having a fit, but that seems to have vanished as she aged, but her kid looked sickly when Eddie came to visit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If we follow the theory that Candle Cove has existed for as long as the old woman has been alive, then maybe Candle Cove hasn't always been a TV show? Maybe it evolves with technology? I could see it existing as a radio show, maybe before that it was a series of children's books. Maybe Candle Cove has always existed but as time and tech moves on it just takes it's place with what the most visible form of communication is.

I could see a possible ending being a kid watching the show on their phone, showing it evolve to the next generation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I could see a possible ending being a kid watching the show on their phone, showing it evolve to the next generation.

We already saw that in the classroom.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OldTennisCourt posted:

If we follow the theory that Candle Cove has existed for as long as the old woman has been alive, then maybe Candle Cove hasn't always been a TV show? Maybe it evolves with technology? I could see it existing as a radio show, maybe before that it was a series of children's books. Maybe Candle Cove has always existed but as time and tech moves on it just takes it's place with what the most visible form of communication is.

I'm imagining it as having started as a live puppet show.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So Mike is actually Eddie, right? He's hinted at it in multiple episodes. Stating how he and his brother could switch back and forth as mayor and no one would notice. The flashback of Mike saying Eddie has an extra tooth. It all seems to be playing out for a huge twist where either Mike is actually Eddie, or they are both still alive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The ghost possessing his daughter was the dead brother, did it explicitly say "I'm Eddie" or anything?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I like this theory, and I could see some type of toothboy twist where the monster is her son. She's running the puppet master thing to get teeth to draw her child in so she can see him again. Maybe some sort of deal where her son couldn't find a host body like Eddie did with Lily and was recreated as toothboy while he exists in limbo. Would explain his ties to the town and fascination with Mike.

Hell, I could see the toothboy storyline ending with Mike finding the sons dead body and burning it similar to last episode and freeing the town of his 'curse'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's time to go inside for the second to last time

Also drat Final Destination 3, this is indulgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

EDDIE CONFIRMED

• Locked thread