Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

YES

SCREAMING EPISODE

gently caress YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So we still don't know what the gently caress tooth kid is supposed to be yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, just when I have this show's number it pulls a great curve ball. As depressing as this night was today's episode really cheered me up and put some of the wind back in my sails.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

muscles like this! posted:

So we still don't know what the gently caress tooth kid is supposed to be yet.

I'm starting to think the tooth kid is his brother. If you remember he had kids pull their teeth out before killing them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
MIke getting all hung up on strings was some straight up Hellraiser poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

frgildan posted:

I'm starting to think the tooth kid is his brother. If you remember he had kids pull their teeth out before killing them.

The only way to tell the twins apart was that Eddie had an extra tooth, and now Mike is getting an extra tooth growing in his mouth. Seems likely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

MIke getting all hung up on strings was some straight up Hellraiser poo poo.

Especially how they kept going up and up and up.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
There is nothing about tonight's finale that was not deeply unsettling in every possible way. I loved it and I eagerly await No End House

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The monster stuff was definitely creepy as hell. So my interpretation of that end was that Eddie is still out there but Mike is also there to counterbalance him.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Theory confirmed, only the odd numbered episodes of this show were good.

The last segment seemed completely unnecessary. Mike turning off the TV was a great ending, what was even the significance of the bird feeder?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this! posted:

The monster stuff was definitely creepy as hell. So my interpretation of that end was that Eddie is still out there but Mike is also there to counterbalance him.

True. And they are different now, even if they look the same. Eddie is still a wounded child, but Mike is an adult with an adult brain and a degree in child psychology. Eddie needs therapy and now he's locked in a room with a child psychologist. Hopefully as they work through their problems Eddie will be able to cheer the place up a bit.

It could have been funny if it had gone the other way though. Eddie climbs into Mike's body: instant puberty. Dude probably spends the first three weeks masturbating.

It's not all good times though. Eddie never learned to shave, or drive, or relate to the world as an adult. And he's not just an adult, he's on the wrong side of 40. Even if you're healthy that's when your joints start getting creaky and your body doesn't always behave the way you expect anymore. He has a kid's desire to live on cookies and ice cream, and no one can stop him from doing that, but the metabolism of a middle aged man.

I bet he gives up on his plans for revenge, and becomes a gross headonist.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I really enjoyed this, and in glad they didn't take it past six episodes. Kudos to everyone who took very little and made something quite good.

One thing I think was overlooked is if they're really twins, shouldn't they both have psychic powers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was convinced that they had made a mistake and played the last two segments of the episode out of order until the scene with the bird feeder. I actually went and DVR'd the Friday showing because I thought I had missed something when the epilogue was playing. It was....a really bad choice on the part of the director.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The more I think about that last episode, the more disappointed I am. The previous episode ends with the reveal that Mike's daughter is trapped in Candle Cove, and he has to go save her. So in this episode, he sets out to do so, and ends up in... a hallway we've never seen before, with creepies we haven't seen before, and then ends up in some kinda skin room we've never seen before, while a monster of some sort broods and shoves twigs in its face.

If his daughter was trapped in Candle Cove, how about Mike goes to, I don't know... Candle Cove? Maybe we see some even more freakish representations of characters from the show? And if you're gonna call your big bad villain The Skin-Taker, is it so much to ask for a scene where he takes some skin?

It's interesting to see how this was both helped and hurt by sticking to the source material. On one hand, The Tooth-Child has nothing to do with the original story, but the character was well established throughout the show. On the other hand, The Skin-Taker is in the original story, but did nothing to earn his place in the show.

That said, the odd numbered episodes were terrific and I'm back in it for next year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We absolutely saw the skin room before.

Mike saw it briefly through a door one of the times he went to the hospital.

Also, Skin Taker IS a more freakish iteration of a show character, he's Jawbone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It only makes sense in that it is a disturbed little boy's nightmare realm. The bullying pushed him over the edge, he had broken bones and still none of the adults were doing anything to help. But instead of the usual story playing out he discovered he had magic powers so things went a different way. Then he died, and was frozen as an angry, hurt little boy for 30 years. His mental state defined the physical reality in his pocket universe.

I like that they didn't try to explain why Eddie had magic powers. Maybe his mom hosed a god, an angel, or a wizard. Maybe his anger and despair tapped into an elemental spirit of vengeance. Maybe some otherworldly force was trying to use him as a conduit to break into our world. Doesn't matter, all we need to know is that he's a magical middle schooler with a grudge.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I loved how Mike went all :yikes: when he found the classroom full of smiling, skinless children. Just his totally deadpan 'nope'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best part of the series was Mike no-selling all these loving monsters and poo poo.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

RoboCicero posted:

I loved how Mike went all :yikes: when he found the classroom full of smiling, skinless children. Just his totally deadpan 'nope'.

Thinking about that scene again, we're the children the original children Eddy killed? It was hard to tell with the bloody faces.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

bull3964 posted:

We absolutely saw the skin room before.

Not only that, but flaming bro in the hallway was in the first episode. Like, immediately after the "Mike is on a talk show, just kidding he's having a breakdown" sequence, there's an abrupt cut to Flamin' Jawbone. Like, I was getting hyped up as soon as I saw the narrow hallway in this episode, because FINALLY that weird poo poo in ep 1 was paying off.

edit: Weird mask / non-flaming Skintaker has also shown up in the corners of rooms and poo poo in other episodes. He stuck out in my mind because he made several appearances, but was clearly not one of the puppets or tooth boy. I thought it was just some random strangeness for strangeness sake, was actually pretty satisfied that it turned out to be his real form or whatever.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 17, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The villain literally being an adolescent made it all work so well. "He has another name . . . Skintaker." Would be :rolleyes: from an adult, but is exactly the sort of thing a 12 year old would think was rad as hell.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

The villain literally being an adolescent made it all work so well. "He has another name . . . Skintaker." Would be :rolleyes: from an adult, but is exactly the sort of thing a 12 year old would think was rad as hell.

That's how Candle Cove got so popular in the first place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like this was a show that was meant from the start to have an ambiguous ending. If i had to guess, Skintaker was some being that gave Eddie these powers to he could bring him into the real world in exchange for revenge against the kids that tormented him.. But he became trapped in the Black Lodge when Eddie physical body died, along with Eddies astral self. Jawbone was just how Eddie interpreted some Lovecraftian horror from between time.

But did their mom kill Mike because she knew, or did she just take the opportunity to take her revenge?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

But did their mom kill Mike because she knew, or did she just take the opportunity to take her revenge?

I believe it was planned between them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like this was a show that was meant from the start to have an ambiguous ending. If i had to guess, Skintaker was some being that gave Eddie these powers to he could bring him into the real world in exchange for revenge against the kids that tormented him.. But he became trapped in the Black Lodge when Eddie physical body died, along with Eddies astral self. Jawbone was just how Eddie interpreted some Lovecraftian horror from between time.

Mike whispered something to his daughter. The daughter whispered something to Mike's mom, then off she goes. Yeah, she knew.

She must have been pretty conflicted about it though, she didn't even bother to take a weapon. If Eddie had already been awake she'd have been boned.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This generates almost enough goodwill to forgive Syfy of sins past.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah, not sure what to think of the finale and the whole series. it was not bad, but it could be better perhaps? I'm just happy my concern that Mrs Booth was the origin of Candle Cove was unfounded.

i don't like the large number of "creepy/shocking thing revealed to be Mike's dreams" sequences there were. It takes the danger out of the whole thing and it made me give less of a poo poo about Mike's predicament. When Mum killed him i'm all "yeah gently caress him".

the reveal that Eddie was causing bad poo poo to happen, with Mrs Booth as his Renfield was not bad. I wished the flaming dude and the skinless children appeared more often rather than toothkid/Eddie. In fact i found the life-sized puppets (esp cartoon jawbone in the distance) more menacing than toothkid.

i like the overall story really. i hated the editing of the ending (seriously, three months later then "not really shocking reveal that has been unsubtly mentioned in the future sequence" just made me groan), they should have just ended with mike turning off the tv and bam credits.

i'm still onboard for the next season, although now that i read the story i'm just expecting a cute haunted house tour for 6 hours. i can't think of them doing a story where a white dude goes to his predominantly white rural hometown and deals with his demons as a white child in a white neighbourhood again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it.

The show did a lot of things well, like the creepy imagery and ideas. It did a lot of things not so well like the general plot and laying out of revelations. The whole thing could have been a little tighter and better told.

But it wasn't bad. A solid double. And I'm on board for more seasons/versions/whatever of it. I really know nothing about the source material or whatever the hell "creepypasta" is but there's nothing wrong about a short run anthology of stories like this. If the story sucks it ends quickly. This is basically what I was hoping American Horror Story would be so hopefully it has legs on SyFy and doesn't just get cancelled into obscurity. SyFy, you're better off blowing your money on this then those terrible original movies on Saturday night.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mike whispered something to his daughter. The daughter whispered something to Mike's mom, then off she goes. Yeah, she knew.

She must have been pretty conflicted about it though, she didn't even bother to take a weapon. If Eddie had already been awake she'd have been boned.

Early in the episode Mike basically tells her that he's going to have her kill him but says "I'm going to ask you to do something difficult, but remember you're doing it out of love." So yeah, she was prepped for Lilly's message all episode and even though she obviously knew it was necessary to not let Eddie back into the world she was obviously conflicted about killing one son to prevent the other from coming back to life.

The show just kind of botched the landing on that particular story element.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I liked about this show is everyone wasn't loving all the time. This is something that bugged me about Twin Peaks and even more so AHS.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Twin Peaks is more of a soap opera that happened to center around murder and vague supernatural entities.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

There was a quick "Im going to ask you to do something terrible for me..." earlier in the ep

I really really liked the overall look and feel of it - the creepy kids, the puppets on the show, their IRL counterparts, toothdude- and I think the overall story was pretty solid, but some of the leaps to get there were questionable. I'll def give Series 2 a shot

With that said, I wasn't familiar at all with the original creepypasta and really only read some of the overview in order to go into this fresh. Is it worth going back to go through it now? Same for the next series- I'm not familiar with it at all. Any thoughts on reading/watching/whatever'ing the original material before or after?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Reading The No End House actually made me realize what I hate about most creepypasta-they're obligated to be told in the first person, and they never, ever sound like natural, like something people would actually say.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

With that said, I wasn't familiar at all with the original creepypasta and really only read some of the overview in order to go into this fresh. Is it worth going back to go through it now? Same for the next series- I'm not familiar with it at all. Any thoughts on reading/watching/whatever'ing the original material before or after?

Well, the first episode was pretty much the entirety of the original story, just in a different format.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, the first episode was pretty much the entirety of the original story, just in a different format.

Specifically the dinner scene followed directly by Mike's mom revealing CC was just static. Honestly, Candle Cove isn't that great, it's basically just describing a creepy show with a bit of overtly evil stuff(the screaming) followed by the "THEN WHO WAS THE ONE KNOCKING???" kind of twist that isn't executed super well.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I really enjoyed the way Mike saw monsters. Maybe it was because they were weird cartoon characters, I can't quite put my finger on it but most of those segments made me feel incredibly uncomfortable, something I've rarely felt in horror shows/films. Something about how Mike was just utterly unnerved and almost exhausted of having to see it made it worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimately Candle Cove is kind of a testament to the fact that if you can really effectively pull off "creepy" (and it did with the kids and monsters and Mike) then it can carry a lot of really weak plot and story. The atmosphere kind of drags you through the same way a bigscreen popcorn action movie can be carried by a fun tone.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, this show did a amazing job making almost every scene unnerving/uncomfortable. While the later couple of episodes began to weaken on that account, it was understandable as there wasn't much need for that anymore as it was wrapping things up.

I still have the scene in my mind with a Candle Cove scene where the boy puppet opens up the chest and frees Jawbone...the framing and Jawbone's dialogue was creepy as hell.

Did SyFy release separate Candle Cove videos? They did a really good job of making puppets creepy as poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Did SyFy release separate Candle Cove videos? They did a really good job of making puppets creepy as poo poo.

They did!

imo the best scene(of the show in general) was the giant irl Horace puppet.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 19, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stupid SyFy not permitting that video from being shown in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Stupid SyFy not permitting that video from being shown in Canada.

Especially when it was filmed in Manitoba!

• Locked thread