Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What's the current status of hotel room usage for this stuff? And what if I just want to stream stuff off a laptop or other storage media

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 28, 2016

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I used this guide to install Google Music

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-android-tvs-google-play-music-app-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick-without-root/

Does anyone know whether the apks will auto update?

Also the search option doesn't work. Anyone else done this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

What's the current status of hotel room usage for this stuff? And what if I just want to stream stuff off a laptop

It got support for captive portal access last year. https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-fire-tv-gets-captive-portal-access-for-hotel-dorm-and-apartment-wi-fi-access-hands-on/

It has miracast support but it really isn't really capable of watching video without issue. I guess you could turn on upnp in kodi on your laptop and watch stuff that way. It should work while you're on the road.

signalnoise posted:

or other storage media

It still has restrictions on file size so the file needs to be under 4 GB (unless you split the file http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-play-files-larger-than-4gb-off-the-fire-tvs-fat32-usb-storage-in-kodi/) or root it so you can mount a drive. (Talking about the big Fire TV unless you also want to carry a bunch of adapters for the Fire TV stick)

Spermanent Record posted:

Does anyone know whether the apks will auto update?

It shouldn't since it's sideloaded.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 28, 2016

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice write up the OP, I got my stick setup and working with ease.

Is there any way to get the NHL app to work? I've tried a few different things but haven't had any luck.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

wandler20 posted:

Nice write up the OP, I got my stick setup and working with ease.

Is there any way to get the NHL app to work? I've tried a few different things but haven't had any luck.

Get one of the NHL.tv plugins for Kodi.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So no issues with Kodi on the new stick/box? I am thinking about handing out a couple of the gen2 sticks pre-loaded with "fun" for Christmas. Is there a way you can setup and sideload the apps without a signing into an amazon account or a way to remove said account after? Don't want people accessing my prime account and buying movies and poo poo afterall.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
What's a good choice for a couple of basic controllers for a fire stick? Mainly for nes/snes emulation.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

So no issues with Kodi on the new stick/box? I am thinking about handing out a couple of the gen2 sticks pre-loaded with "fun" for Christmas. Is there a way you can setup and sideload the apps without a signing into an amazon account or a way to remove said account after? Don't want people accessing my prime account and buying movies and poo poo afterall.

You could always give them an Amazon gift card with a note telling them to buy a Stick and give it to you so you can pimp it out. That way you can also put some legit apps on it without it freaking out about the app not being purchased on their account.

PuTTY riot posted:

What's a good choice for a couple of basic controllers for a fire stick? Mainly for nes/snes emulation.

If you're only doing NES/SNES emulation, any bluetooth controller that works with android should work since you can map the controls. Can't confirm since I don't own one.

I've read good things about the 8bitdo SFC30. http://www.play-asia.com/8bitdo-sfc30-gamepad/13/70a2cb

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Call Me Charlie posted:

You could always give them an Amazon gift card with a note telling them to buy a Stick and give it to you so you can pimp it out. That way you can also put some legit apps on it without it freaking out about the app not being purchased on their account.

I was mostly just going to sideload a couple things i.e. Kodi and what not, but I seem to recall you need an amazon account to even do the initial setup to get into the main menus to enable unknown apps and debugging. If that's not the case I guess it's no big deal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's some cool speculation. The addition of user profiles.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-likely-gaining-user-profiles-soon/

thebushcommander posted:

I was mostly just going to sideload a couple things i.e. Kodi and what not, but I seem to recall you need an amazon account to even do the initial setup to get into the main menus to enable unknown apps and debugging. If that's not the case I guess it's no big deal.

Yeah, you need an amazon account for the initial setup. The situation I was talking about is if you pair it to your account, set it up, install legit apps, unpair it and let them pair it to their account. If you install the PBS app from the Amazon Appstore and they don't have it as purchased, it will throw an error when they try to open it (even though it's a free app)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I still can't get Kodi on FireTV to be able to access SMB shares in Windows 10 without missing files, folders, or invalid argument errors half the time and I'd really like to.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The guy behind aftvnews created an app.

quote:

Last week, I fired up a “how to make your first app” video on YouTube and I made my first app for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. It’s called Downloader and it just got approved into the Fire TV appstore. Downloader’s purpose is to make sideloading apps on the Fire TV as easy as possible. The app simply has a URL field where you enter the URL of any file you want downloaded to your device. After the file has downloaded, it will automatically be installed if it’s an APK file. That’s it.

http://www.aftvnews.com/introducing-downloader-my-first-fire-tv-app-which-makes-sideloading-dead-simple/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0BP507

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
My mom just told me some dude she works with is selling jailbroken Fire TVs for $125.

That's a ripoff right? Or at least sounds sketchy. If I tell her to buy a Fire Stick and jailbreak it myself, it's pretty much the same experience right?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
By jailbreak it does she mean he actuals jailbreaks it, or just installs Kodi on the thing? Installing Kodi takes ten minutes and isn't worth paying anyone a dime.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Grump posted:

My mom just told me some dude she works with is selling jailbroken Fire TVs for $125.

That's a ripoff right? Or at least sounds sketchy. If I tell her to buy a Fire Stick and jailbreak it myself, it's pretty much the same experience right?

It's total bullshit. If you read the OP, you'll see that you don't have to root the Fire TV to sideload Kodi onto it. I'd bet anything all that guy is doing is sideloading Kodi and pushing an image of a preconfigured Kodi with a bunch of pirate add-ons installed. That takes like 10 minutes of work once you do it once.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Grump posted:

This seems pretty big right now. I have a few friends that purchased "hacked firetv sticks" from some dude at the gym for $175, and a guy that works for me bought one from his neighbor for $90. They didn't even get the gen2 sticks and it was well after they came out. Pretty sure the guy that works for me paid $90 for a refurbished first gen stick. I looked at it to see what they paid for and it's basically just your standard addons everyone uses and a fairly customized CXM skin with direct menu links to sub-menus inside the addons for "direct" access. Runs like complete rear end though. That said, the guy at work had like 8 people that wanted one and was going to give them the guys info he got it from, but I decided to capitalize on their stupidity and made myself ~370 bucks profit for about 10 minutes of work.

Edit: All of these guys bought them on the premise that they would be able to stream all UFC PPV events in HD quality too which is hilarious because anyone that has used Kodi for any length of time knows that anything "live" is next to impossible to find in good quality or even working unless it's a UK based iptv station which is basically worthless in the US

CubanMissile posted:

By jailbreak it does she mean he actuals jailbreaks it, or just installs Kodi on the thing? Installing Kodi takes ten minutes and isn't worth paying anyone a dime.

It isn't, but a lot of people would have no idea how to do it even if they watched a video and even then they would have even more trouble taking advantage of kodi and it's addons. Guy at work watched me setup a repo for some misc addon I use and he was lost the second I went into the file manager and started typing into the repo address.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 22, 2016

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Any idea if a new Fire Tv is coming? I'm picking up a new OLED TV but want the benefits of HDR and the current model doesn't support it. I really like the Fire TV (I have 3 fire tv's and 3 sticks) but might get the new Roku instead.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wandler20 posted:

Any idea if a new Fire Tv is coming? I'm picking up a new OLED TV but want the benefits of HDR and the current model doesn't support it. I really like the Fire TV (I have 3 fire tv's and 3 sticks) but might get the new Roku instead.

It was rumored to be coming out this fall but considering the Fire Stick 2 has been released and the Fire TV 3 missed black friday, it's possible it's been delayed until the new UI is released (with black friday being the big blowout on current stock) or possibly canceled in favor of a new edition that's more than a hardware refresh.

The new Roku wouldn't be a bad choice. Yeah, the UI is kinda lovely but having one device that can do niche services the Fire TV doesn't have (Vudu/Warner Archive/etc) is nice.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Call Me Charlie posted:

The new Roku wouldn't be a bad choice. Yeah, the UI is kinda lovely but having one device that can do niche services the Fire TV doesn't have (Vudu/Warner Archive/etc) is nice.

Good call. And if a nicely updated Fire TV comes out down the road I could always get one since they're affordable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any way to legally stream Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on the Fire TV? Like, all episodes of all ~14 seasons? Netflix has 30 or so, but that's it, the other 250 episodes are unavailable, and aren't on YouTube anymore and you can't even find a box set of the DVDs on eBay these days. I'm open to any suggestions, my girlfriend has decided to learn to cook and I just can't explain this stuff as well as he can.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Is there any way to legally stream Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on the Fire TV? Like, all episodes of all ~14 seasons? Netflix has 30 or so, but that's it, the other 250 episodes are unavailable, and aren't on YouTube anymore and you can't even find a box set of the DVDs on eBay these days. I'm open to any suggestions, my girlfriend has decided to learn to cook and I just can't explain this stuff as well as he can.

You can buy them on Amazon's VOD store but it'd be expensive if you want them all.

$6.99 - Season 15
$11.99 - Season 3
$12.99 - Season 12
$13.99 - Season 10
$14.99 - Season 6
$17.99 - Season 11
$20.99 - Season 8
$23.99 - Season 1, 2, 4, 7, 5
$24.99 - Season 9, 13
$29.99 - Season 14

Even the Food Network app only has 2 episodes (but they're available to everybody, no cable lock on those)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 27, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was hoping for a steaming solution, as at ~$200 that's a lot more than I was hoping to spend :( I think we paid ~$130 for game of thrones but that was a special exception as we ended up watching a lot of that offline on her Kindle tablet

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was hoping for a steaming solution, as at ~$200 that's a lot more than I was hoping to spend :( I think we paid ~$130 for game of thrones but that was a special exception as we ended up watching a lot of that offline on her Kindle tablet

If she's looking to learn how to cook, you may be better off signing up for a service like Blue Apron. It's also expensive but it sends the supplies (minus olive oil) and has step by step instructions to walk you through it. If she's a complete beginner she may have to watch a youtube tutorial on how to properly chop with a chef's knife but, beyond that, it's very user friendly.

There's a thread in coupons with people giving away free trials. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782486

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool thanks, we may give that a whirl.

I'm big on Alton Brown as that's how I learned to cook, and that way we're speaking the same language; Alton Brown has a way of breaking down how the chemical reactions work and what modifies what in various permutations.

I didn't know they had a free trial program though, she's brought up Blue Apron before, I'll have to check that thread out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Hadlock posted:

I didn't know they had a free trial program though, she's brought up Blue Apron before, I'll have to check that thread out.

https://twitter.com/BrianLeeWow/status/770798177494503428?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Just side load Kodi and use one of the addons. I'd be against all that type of poo poo of they didn't make it so damned difficult to access older seasons of anything through avenues such as Netflix/Hulu etc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ticket To Ride is free on Amazon's appstore. They recently added Fire TV support.

quote:

The Fire TV version features solo play against up to 4 AI players, local multiplayer play with up to 4 people, and online multiplayer. The online multiplayer is cross-platform, which means there will always be plenty of Android, iOS, Mac, and PC players to play with. Ticket To Ride is compatible with all Fire TV and Fire TV Stick models, and works with either a remote control or game controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00CLUPOEE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post. It seems like the new UI is rolling out. Has anybody got it yet?

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-interface-now-rolling-out-to-fire-tvs-and-fire-tv-sticks-in-5-2-4-0-update/

And there's a new notification center for messages from apps.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-gains-new-notification-center-with-new-interface-update/

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ticket To Ride is free on Amazon's appstore. They recently added Fire TV support.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00CLUPOEE

Thanks for posting this!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Did they remove the ability to manage profiles on the Netflix app? I can't seem to find it anymore.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Pro tip for anyone using a Kodi on firetv box or stick... Last night I encountered a lack of storage on my box for the first time ever. After inspecting apps it seemed Kodi was using 3.2GB of storage on my box. This of course causes caching issues with streaming videos etc as it didn't have any place to put more data coming in. After poking around the file manager for a minute I realized that the Thumbnails folder was using 2.6GB! of space. Now I assume there is a tool or way to remove them all to "start" fresh downloading movies/tv show tumbnail art etc, however a quick google suggested that the majority of the space used in that file is all the actor thumbnails. It literally downloaded via IMDB or MovieDB every single actors picture from basically anything I've watched. Which why the gently caress would you need any of that.

tl;dr - Go to Settings > Video - Uncheck "Download actor thumbnails" which should help prevent rapid build up of storage usage.

Edit: To free up space I found the best solution for the above is to download Raw Maintenance add-on. It'll allow you to clear cache, thumbnails and packages. In fact the purge package thing was worth it too as I didn't realize it basically removed old/outdated add-on packages not used by the currently installed version, but kept around anyway in case you want to roll back to previous one. Freed up an additional 400MB with that too.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

thebushcommander posted:

Pro tip for anyone using a Kodi on firetv box or stick... Last night I encountered a lack of storage on my box for the first time ever. After inspecting apps it seemed Kodi was using 3.2GB of storage on my box. This of course causes caching issues with streaming videos etc as it didn't have any place to put more data coming in. After poking around the file manager for a minute I realized that the Thumbnails folder was using 2.6GB! of space. Now I assume there is a tool or way to remove them all to "start" fresh downloading movies/tv show tumbnail art etc, however a quick google suggested that the majority of the space used in that file is all the actor thumbnails. It literally downloaded via IMDB or MovieDB every single actors picture from basically anything I've watched. Which why the gently caress would you need any of that.

tl;dr - Go to Settings > Video - Uncheck "Download actor thumbnails" which should help prevent rapid build up of storage usage.

Wow that's really fuckin dumb. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway first gen fire owner here. Any guess on when I'll get the new UI? 2017?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Croatoan posted:

Wow that's really fuckin dumb. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway first gen fire owner here. Any guess on when I'll get the new UI? 2017?

The new UI is already being pushed out, but it's a staged roll-out so you might get it today or you might not see it for a month. Could always go into the ftv settings and force a check for update and see if anything comes up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I've been checking every day. I figure us early adopters will get hosed and maybe see it sometime after the new year. The old one sucks and It's the only reason I use my Roku. I'd love to swap them. I hate that the apps are organized the way they currently are and that you have to go around and look for what apps need updating.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Also in certain add-ons be sure to disable fanart.

Also also, it's not a bad idea to move the entire Kodi installation to the microSD card. It's a simple way to free up space without taking a hit in performance.

Croatoan posted:

Yeah I've been checking every day. I figure us early adopters will get hosed and maybe see it sometime after the new year. The old one sucks and It's the only reason I use my Roku. I'd love to swap them. I hate that the apps are organized the way they currently are and that you have to go around and look for what apps need updating.

Same. I still haven't gotten the new UI or the music app on my 2nd gen.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got the new ui update yesterday, it's kind of hard to get used to for me. I guess I liked the old one.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I find it really annoying that you can't manually get the update. Fine, Amazon, do your automatic installations in a phased rollout, but if I am savvy enough to ask for the update, give it to me.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
2 questions

1) I have a bunch of sticks. I have an older reciever that I'm setting up with 5.1 speakers and all that. My tv has an optical out and passes DD when I'm watching QAM cable. I can't seem to get the fire tv (or my blu ray for that matter) to push DD/DTS/whatever over that same opical cable, only stereo PCM. Any way to remedy this besides buying something (regular fire tv, hdmi receiver or weird thing that splits out the audio before it gets to the TV)

2) I have a few blu rays with "digital copies" that are "ultraviolet". Assuming that's some sort of brand. Is there an app or thing that'll let me watch those movies on my sticks? Disney's Finding Dory let me add it to my amazon account directly and it shows up under "your movies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Can't answer 1, but for 2, unfortunately UV is the major gap in the Fire TV coverage.