Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vudu is a great UV provider. Their content is some of the highest bitrate streaming, have a wide selection of HDR, and even supports object based audio. I've converted pretty much my entire DVD and Blu-ray collection to UV digital. Beats the poo poo out of ripping and encoding myself.

There aren't really deficiencies in Vudu that makes me want another provider, I just want some diversity. The fact that Amazon can't even get deals in place to automatically give you digital copies with Amazon of the physical movies you buy there puts them behind the curve. I had a feeling that Disney must have strong armed them to allow Disney movies anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like the Fire TV Smart TVs will probably launch around the same time as the new box.

quote:

The four Westinghouse models receiving FCC approval are the WA43UFA1001, WA50UFA1001, WA55UFA1001, and WA65UFA1001, which correspond to the 43″, 50″, 55″, and 65″ screen sizes respectively. As expected, all four telvisions feature the exact same specs and features, apart from having different screen sizes.

There will also be four Seiki branded and four Element branded televisions released, but all models, regardless of branding, will all feature the same specs and all be manufactured by the same company, Tongfang Global. The Seiki and Element televisions do not appear to have gone through FCC approval yet.

At CES, the representative from these television’s manufacturer told me they were hoping for a launch of all models around June of this year. Seeing these televisions pass through FCC approval now is a good sign that launching around June may still happen.

http://www.aftvnews.com/westinghouses-four-amazon-fire-tv-edition-televisions-pass-fcc-approval/

And they hilariously stole the partner buttons (that everybody hates) from Roku.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If a third-party app like Firestarter could remap that Amazon Music button to a Kodi button, I'd love that remote.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If a third-party app like Firestarter could remap that Amazon Music button to a Kodi button, I'd love that remote.

Agreed

Also, what's with the big rear end Westinghouse logo. Just seems weird since Amazon loves their own branding.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Agreed

Also, what's with the big rear end Westinghouse logo. Just seems weird since Amazon loves their own branding.

Multiple brands are selling the TVs, Westinghouse Seiki and whatever other ones

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow Westinghouse is still a thing. Besides flat screen TVs I think the only other products they make anymore are nuclear power plants.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
NASA just released an official app. It has three live streams. NASA TV (Public), NASA TV (Media) and ISS Live Views. Plus a bunch of other stuff like images, information on missions and a VOD section.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVR87LQ

Blue Train posted:

Multiple brands are selling the TVs, Westinghouse Seiki and whatever other ones

Yeah, it's basically the same as the Roku TV where they handle the software side and license it out to TV manufacturers.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 28, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Wow Westinghouse is still a thing. Besides flat screen TVs I think the only other products they make anymore are nuclear power plants.

Not the same company. The Westinghouse name was sold to cheap Chinese ODMs a long time ago for consumer electronics just like RCA.

Actually Westinghouse brand TVs are based in the US, just bottom of the barrel bargain brand. It still has nothing to do with Westinghouse Electric.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if all the Amazon TVs were actually the same model under the branding.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Not the same company. The Westinghouse name was sold to cheap Chinese ODMs a long time ago for consumer electronics just like RCA.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if all the Amazon TVs were actually the same model under the branding.

They are. All three brands are owned by Tsinghua Tongfang.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Serves me right for not reading the original article.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
awesome

quote:

Exclusive: Amazon is working on a Silk Web Browser for the Fire TV

It looks like Amazon’s Silk web browser, which comes installed on their line of Fire tablets, will be coming to the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. If you sideload the tablet version of Amazon’s Silk browser onto the Fire TV, you don’t simply get a touch-based app that requires a mouse to use, like you get if you sideload Chrome or Firefox. Instead, you’re presented with a tutorial, made specifically for the Fire TV, instructing you on how to use the Fire TV’s Alexa voice remote to search and navigate the web.

Digging into the source of the Silk browser app, it’s clear that Amazon has recently begun adding support for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. There’s a very unique solution built-in for the task of selecting webpage links on a device without a mouse or touchscreen, as well as support for embedded webpage videos that allows you to control video playback using the media buttons on the Fire TV remote. Feedback options specific to the Fire TV indicate the browser is already being tested internally by Amazon employees.

When the Fire tablet version of the Silk browser is launched on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, the television device is detected and a tailor made navigation tutorial begins. The tutorial instructs you to press the select button on the remote to highlight and click the button on the screen. The tutorial appears to be a website loaded within the browser.

Amazon has decided to take a unique approach to selecting a specific link on a webpage using a remote control. Pressing the select button causes a unique set of up/down/left/right arrows to appear on each link. Clicking a link is done by pressing the sequence associated with the link you want selected. Done this way, a page with up to 64 links will require up to 3 button presses to select a link. Adding a fourth button press will cover pages with up to 256 links.

Since the Fire TV is primarily a video consumption device, special consideration has been given to embedded videos in webpages. Selecting a video causes it to play in full screen.

While a video is playing, the remote’s media buttons (play, pause, rewind, fast-forward) can be used to control playback. Pressing back exits full screen playback and returns to the web page.

The end of the tutorial instructs you to press the voice search button to search the web. This is significant because the voice search button on the Fire TV has always triggered an Alexa powered universal search that appears overtop whatever is on the screen. The Silk browser tutorial seems to indicate that, for the first time, the Fire TV’s voice search button will be mapped to a specific action within an app. Hopefully this means voice functionality will finally be opened to 3rd-party developers to allow voice input for text fields within apps.

It seems like all sessions in the Silk browser for the Fire TV may begin with a voice search. Since pressing the voice search button on my Fire TV triggers the standard universal search, as opposed to the browser search, I was not able to proceed past this point in the tutorial or use any other aspects of the browser on the Fire TV. There does not appear to be any way enter a URL using the standard onscreen keyboard. At least, not at the end of the tutorial.

Amazon employees who are beta testing the Silk browser likely have a beta version of Fire OS with code that grants in-app use of the search button, which is missing from regular Fire TVs. Pressing the menu button on the remote brings up the option to go back, forward and reload the current page. There is also an option to report issues, which will likely be removed from the final version of the browser. No other browser functionality could be accessed.

Many companies in the past have tried to bring web browsing to a TV interface, with little success. The purpose of Amazon’s Silk browser on the Fire TV is likely not for general web browsing, but is instead to grant access to streaming video that is otherwise not available in a dedicated Fire TV app. Huge thanks to AFTVnews reader David (a.k.a. goodur in the comments), for tipping me off to the hidden capabilities of Amazon’s Silk browser.

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazon-is-working-on-a-silk-web-browser-for-the-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
An update is rolling out to bring the new interface to all 1st gen devices.

http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-2-4-1-rolling-out-to-all-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-models-adds-new-interface-to-1st-gen-devices/

It also brings voice search to YouTube

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-now-supports-voice-search-for-youtube/

The ability to monitor data usage and warn you when you've reached your data cap.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-can-now-monitor-data-usage-and-alert-you-when-youve-reached-a-data-cap/

And allows you to select the video quality.

http://www.aftvnews.com/you-can-now-select-from-3-video-quality-settings-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 6, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Is there any way to sideload the update? I'm still not seeing any update available for my Fire TV and I'm impatient and antsy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way to sideload the update? I'm still not seeing any update available for my Fire TV and I'm impatient and antsy.

No, they do a staggered rollout to make sure there's no issues. AFTVNews has a faq that better explains it http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-software-update-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

No, they do a staggered rollout to make sure there's no issues. AFTVNews has a faq that better explains it http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-software-update-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

Interesting read, thanks for that.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Just got the update on one of my 3 old fire sticks. Haven't checked the others yet.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

PuTTY riot posted:

Just got the update on one of my 3 old fire sticks. Haven't checked the others yet.

All my old stuff updated in the past week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am hating the PS Vue app for Roku (no guide), and I am considering getting another AppleTV or a Fire TV. I really love my AppleTV, but it is overpriced while not supporting 4K. That said I tried out Fire TV several years ago, and the interface wasn't smooth or fast at all in comparison to an AppleTV. How is the current version?

Also can anyone give me feedback on using the PS Vue app on it? Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Might want to wait on the AppleTV. There's apparently a new one in the works.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The weird Fire TV televisions are live. They all appear to be 4K but it doesn't seem like they do HDR (which puts them behind the newest Roku TVs coming soon)

Element - preorder - ships June 14th

43" = $449.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD4SXW...b097ce00d6271e1
50" = $549.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDQYQ8...e7e2ffcbd760411
55" = $649.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDC9RB...93a9d504ee3c4e4
65" = $899.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDC154...afb0dc92eb269ca

I don't really get the point beyond 'all in one tv for mom & dad' but I thought the same thing about the Roku TV and those apparently have 15% of the smart tv market now so :shrug:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Rad, I'd love to get a TV that has a built in device so I can't upgrade said device for the lifetime of the TV sweet deal thx.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

4k without HDR just isn't worth it at all.

Shame on Amazon for putting out something that can't use their own service to the full extent.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Shame on Amazon for putting out something that can't use their own service to the full extent.

Like the Fire TV?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bull3964 posted:

Well, not sure I'd blame Amazon for the TV it is an "element" which is bottom barrel garbage brand. They're just the first partner for the OS on the tv and I think there were like 3 or 4 other manufacturers doing a FireOS tv too, like the TLC brand one has HDR 4K and is bottom barrel brand too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CygnusTM posted:

Like the Fire TV?

Yup.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Well, not sure I'd blame Amazon for the TV it is an "element" which is bottom barrel garbage brand. They're just the first partner for the OS on the tv and I think there were like 3 or 4 other manufacturers doing a FireOS tv too, like the TLC brand one has HDR 4K and is bottom barrel brand too.

All three brands are by the same manufacturer :ssh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've been messing around with my Fire TV and updating various things.

For people missing UV support, I can confirm that sideloading the Vudu app does work (with native remote support)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/android-tv-vudu-app-fire-tv-to-watch-t3592092

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there any way to get the for real DirecTV app working, not the DirecTV Now app, on FireTV?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sendo posted:

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

Have you tried going to Manage Apps and clearing YouTube cache?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My buddy got a Fire TV to replace his Acer Revo that was used to do nothing but run Kodi. I pointed him towards the Amazon device since they didn't have any streaming services before, and this seemed like the easiest way to do it.

So I got Kodi installed and tried to browse the shares from his Win7 Pro server, but it will not connect. So I'm looking at using Emby as a replacement. Has anyone here used it? Looking for pros/cons versus Kodi, and what exactly "premier" would give him that he doesn't have now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alexa on Fire TV is getting a makeover.

quote:

Most of the new Alexa cards take up only a portion of the screen, but some, like audio playback requests, do still take up the entire screen. That is because Amazon has greatly enhanced these cards and needs the extra real-estate. Instead of just displaying the track title and album art for music requests, the new Alexa music card also displays a progress bar as well as on-screen playback controls. These controls now allow you to control the music using your remote in addition to your voice. Listening to audio streams through Alexa that do not have track information, like the Flash Briefing, will display jut the audio controls.

An interesting new aspect of the new Alexa cards is the ability for them to overlap each other in certain scenarios. If you’re playing music through Alexa, for example, and then ask a general knowledge question, Alexa’s music interface remains on the screen and the information card slides in on top of the music interface. This is a great improvement over the current interface because, as it is now, doing anything while Alexa plays music will completely close the music card and stop playback. The new Alexa TV interface will continue playing music while you make new requests with Alexa.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-to-receive-a-complete-visual-overhaul/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 23, 2017

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So I'm kind-of in the market for a 4k TV. Even though the Amazon TV doesn't do HDR, all of the other features (built-in tuner, 1 remote for everything) seem to make it a great value otherwise. The big question is, can I safely assume I can load Kodi onto it just as easily as with a regular FTV?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

speedtek posted:

So I'm kind-of in the market for a 4k TV. Even though the Amazon TV doesn't do HDR, all of the other features (built-in tuner, 1 remote for everything) seem to make it a great value otherwise. The big question is, can I safely assume I can load Kodi onto it just as easily as with a regular FTV?

From everything I hear, HDR is the killer feature of 4K so you'd probably be better off with one of those new Roku TVs and attaching a Fire TV Stick for Kodi.

The basic model 4K HDR 55" is only $449.99 https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-5...41fdf1a898bb3c1 and the higher end 55" model with 4K HDR & Dolby Vision is $600 at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...p?skuId=5878705

But from what I read, you should be able to sideload apps onto the TV Fire TV the same way you can the standalone boxes. So I guess if you don't care about 4K and just want 1 interface/1 remote, it'd work for you.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 27, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon accidentally put this up on their firmware page. So expect this some time soon.

quote:

You can now use your compatible Amazon Alexa device to control the video playback on your Fire TV device after linking them in the Alexa app. While playing an Amazon video, you can use playback commands like pause, play, resume, fast forward, next episode, and rewind. Also, you can ask Alexa to search for videos by titles, genres, or actors. Or you can ask Alexa to search for an app and open it by saying, “Open [app name] on my Fire TV.” To learn more, go to Use Your Alexa Device to Control Your Fire TV.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-devices-will-soon-be-able-to-control-playback-and-launch-apps-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So I ended up going for the 55" Amazon 4k TV because they took $250 off on Prime Day. I gotta say, despite not having HDR it's still a fantastic TV. Going from 3 remotes to 1, and integrated OTA is awesome for maximum WAF. Kodi works just fine, too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Controlling the Fire TV with any Alexa device just went live.

Basically the way it works is you go into the Alexa app, choose what Fire TV device you want, choose which Alexa device you want to grant control to and pair them. That way you could only give control to a bedroom fire tv to a bedroom alexa device instead of everything being able to control everything.

I tested it and it seems to respond to '[x] on my fire tv' commands. Which is nice that I don't have to say the full device name.

- edit Music playback still seems to not be working. Couldn't get my Echo to play a song on my Fire TV and I couldn't transfer an already playing song over.

But video stuff and playback controls seem to be working fine.

- edit 2

quote:

Once linked together, you can use the Alexa device to control playback of what is currently playing on the Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Edition television by saying “Alexa, pause/play/rewind/fast-forward.” If you have multiple devices that can accept these commands, you can specify you want to control the Fire TV by adding “…on Fire TV” to the end of any command. You can also ask to start playing specific content by saying “Alexa, watch [movie/show name].“

In addition to controlling and starting content, you can also ask Alexa devices to launch apps by saying “Alexa, open [app name].” Also available is searching by saying “Search for [query] on Fire TV.” The last command that is available for all Fire TV devices is to simply say “Alexa, go home” to load the Fire TV home screen.

Amazon’s Fire TV Edition televisions have even deeper integration with Alexa devices than the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. With the televisions, you can use Alexa devices to control power by saying “Alexa, turn on Fire TV.” You can also control the volume by saying “Alexa, mute the volume on Fire TV.”

The current input of Fire TV Edition televisions can also be controlled through an external Alexa device by saying something like “Alexa, switch to HDMI one.” Lastly, Alexa can also be used to control the built-in tuner. Since the television is aware of the channel names thanks to its program guide, you can ask to change to a specific channel by saying “Alexa, tune to NBC/CBS/[channel name].“

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-devices-can-now-control-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 1, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Looks like it's another US only thing and that's really loving me off now.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
Does this not apply to the FireTV stick? I'm still not seeing the option to do this (and I am in the US).

EDIT: Aha, found it. It's not under settings in the alexa app where I assumed it would be. Instead it's under Music, Videos, & Books.

Dromio fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
More news that either a new HDR capable box or TV is coming soon.

quote:

We already know Amazon is working on a new Fire TV capable of 4K and HDR, thanks to a leaked benchmark from earlier this year, but it now seems the unreleased device has moved on from development to quality assurance testing. My scripts, which crawl for new Fire TV apps for my weekly app roundup, occasionally pick up apps created by Amazon employees to test certain aspects of the Fire TV. These test apps are usually uninteresting and are commonly deleted within a day, but a new test app just appeared that is clearly meant to test HDR support on a Fire TV.

The test app (screenshot) in question is credited to Lab126.com, which is Amazon’s research and hardware division. The app is listed as a Fire TV app with a description that just says “HDR Videos,” despite there currently not being an HDR capable Fire TV available. The screenshots of the app reveal that it simply streams a 4K HDR10 video from YouTube.

Searching YouTube brings up the video (screenshot) being used in the test app. It appears to have been uploaded by Jonathan Fisher, a Quality Assurance manager at Amazon’s Lab126. The video title indicates it’s a 4K HDR10 clip with a bitrate of 4,000 Kbps. Embedded in the video is a counter that counts each video frame.

With Android TV and Roku devices already supporting HDR video, and Apple rumored to be releasing an HDR capable Apple TV soon, it’s no surprise that the next Fire TV will also support HDR video. The fact that it seems like the new Fire TV is in its QA testing phase is a good indicator the new model will be released soon.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-is-currently-testing-an-hdr-capable-4k-fire-tv/