Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Does anyone know of any combined IR+Bluetooth remote? I have a fire tv stick (so no flirc) and the tv doesn't have hdmi-cec, so right now two remotes are needed. The old tv remote is on the fritz, and I'd like to replace it with one to control both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Myriarch posted:

Does anyone know of any combined IR+Bluetooth remote? I have a fire tv stick (so no flirc) and the tv doesn't have hdmi-cec, so right now two remotes are needed. The old tv remote is on the fritz, and I'd like to replace it with one to control both of them.

There's a snap thing you can get for the Fire TV remote if you don't want to spend the money on a Logitech remote.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRFY61G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkId=d146b0bfe8a78113c184e2f518c9903f

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
We use a Sideclick with our FireTV and old-rear end TV and it works well.

Couldn't justify getting a Logitech for just power and volume controls.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I tired the Slideclick with my KS8000, and it didn't work. The issue is the remote that comes with the TV is IR+Bluetooth, but the Slideclick only does IR. So in the end the only button I could get working was the power button. I am returning it, but in the end was my fault (I should of read up on it more). The Smart Remote that comes my Samsung is fine, and works on everything without any programming. I just like my AppleTV remote better on that TV. I still might get one for my older plasma TV upstairs that has a FireTV attached.

So if you have a newer TV there is a chance the Slideclick will not work on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a snap thing you can get for the Fire TV remote if you don't want to spend the money on a Logitech remote.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRFY61G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkId=d146b0bfe8a78113c184e2f518c9903f

The price dropped on this to $22.49

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

About god drat time:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/11/16287812/amazon-new-fire-tv-2017-alexa

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Meh, I don't want Alexa on my Fire since I have an Echo in the same room.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't want microphones and light bars and speakers and other poo poo. Just play media files is all you gotta do amazon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

phosdex posted:

I don't want microphones and light bars and speakers and other poo poo. Just play media files is all you gotta do amazon.

That's why they have an option that does just that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's why they have an option that does just that.

It's apparently less powerful than the current FireTV

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On the other hand, the built in IR blaster and Alexa kind of kills off the need for a Harmony Hub for my most common use case

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WhyteRyce posted:

It's apparently less powerful than the current FireTV

Less powerful than the current gen, but more powerful than the Stick. I'm sure it'll be fine.

If the IR blaster stuff on the top-end model can be set up like a Harmony remote, so that it can turn on multiple things and set the correct inputs, then I'd consider upgrading. Being able to tell it to open Netflix and it just turns everything on for you and opens the app, that would be really nice.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Less powerful than the current gen, but more powerful than the Stick. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Leaked benchmarks have it slightly more powerful than the second gen stick but still behind the first gen FireTV. No thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do these new Fire TVs do HDR yet?

We've switched over to the smartTV app (HDR) in our television and the difference is pretty noticeable compared to the FireTV.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Do these new Fire TVs do HDR yet?

We've switched over to the smartTV app (HDR) in our television and the difference is pretty noticeable compared to the FireTV.

Yeah, 4k/HDR.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Leaked benchmarks have it slightly more powerful than the second gen stick but still behind the first gen FireTV. No thanks

If you are referring to the benchmark in the AFTVNews article, those numbers refer to some new mid-tier model. I would be extremely surprised if the new Echo Dot-style top tier model isn't faster than all of them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CygnusTM posted:

If you are referring to the benchmark in the AFTVNews article, those numbers refer to some new mid-tier model. I would be extremely surprised if the new Echo Dot-style top tier model isn't faster than all of them.

That's the model we were talking about

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If the mid-tier model has hardware deinterlacing, hallelujah.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been meaning to replace a 1st Gen Stick, that new Square dongle sounds good enough for me.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Sendo posted:

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

Not sure if this was addressed, but there used to be a setting in Kodi that would cause this, but I think it was resolved a long time ago. What version of Kodi are you running?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Amazon revealed the smaller FireTV that was posted about earlier but they didn't announce the cube shaped one yet.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16375134/new-amazon-fire-tv-announced-4k-hdr-price-date-2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I want the non dongle one drat it. Don't make me buy a Shield

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So is there not going to be a wired Amazon Fire TV except for the cube thing with Alexa?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So is there not going to be a wired Amazon Fire TV except for the cube thing with Alexa?

Adapter available for the new dongle

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Would've been nice if it was $10 less to blow the CC Ultra out, but it looks like their deal is to get a Dot with it for only $10 more.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005

Sendo posted:

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

I've had this problem for a long time. I thought maybe it was related to pairing with the Youtube app on my tablet over wifi, because I noticed if Youtube is already open on the Fire TV when you tap "pair with TV" on the tablet, it seems to load a second instance of the app on the Fire TV. I pretty much always use my tablet to control the TV app, and I think maybe it starts a new Youtube process every time. Like you said it'll be fine on a fresh start, but on the second or third time going back to the app it will start running at like 5FPS and the audio skips like crazy. Now I just force stop the Youtube app every time before I use it. I don't have Kodi, and Youtube and HBO Now are pretty much the only apps I use, so I assume it's just bad programming.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Peep Jerky posted:

I've had this problem for a long time. I thought maybe it was related to pairing with the Youtube app on my tablet over wifi, because I noticed if Youtube is already open on the Fire TV when you tap "pair with TV" on the tablet, it seems to load a second instance of the app on the Fire TV. I pretty much always use my tablet to control the TV app, and I think maybe it starts a new Youtube process every time. Like you said it'll be fine on a fresh start, but on the second or third time going back to the app it will start running at like 5FPS and the audio skips like crazy. Now I just force stop the Youtube app every time before I use it. I don't have Kodi, and Youtube and HBO Now are pretty much the only apps I use, so I assume it's just bad programming.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion it's just solely the youtube app, I've just come to force stopping youtube every few days.

However my FireTV (Gen1) seems busted now, I did a factory reset (wanted to start fresh moving it to another tv) went through the setup process to the point it says press play to continue and then shows the introduction video, at this point regardless of if you let it play out or skip the video it will show a loading screen for a second and then just reboot back to the press play to continue screen, I've tried everything I've been able to find on google but nothing seems to get it out of this loop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
YouTube will be disabled on Fire TV effective New Years, because Google is mad that Amazon refuses to retail the Google Home.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

YouTube will be disabled on Fire TV effective New Years, because Google is mad that Amazon refuses to retail the Google Home.

gently caress, and I just got a Fire TV a couple months ago. Good thing I've still got my Roku Stick laying around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well i think the actual text says something along the lines of "sometime in 2018" which might mean NYE 2018, or never, as it's a negotiation tactic.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Well i think the actual text says something along the lines of "sometime in 2018" which might mean NYE 2018, or never, as it's a negotiation tactic.

Nope, it's January 1st.

Hopefully enough people are complaining to Amazon to get this fixed by then.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah well, that's just like your opinion, man

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

This may seem a stupid question, but what's the best way to resume watching a series I'm Amazon Video? In Netflix there's just "continue watching" but for Amazon Videos, I can't find anything similar. In fact I have to search for the series, then go to "more episodes" and scroll to the next one, which is kind of crappy.

I kind of expected stuff to come up in "my videos" but some series that I'm watching aren't.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
What's the likelyhood of Amazon and Google not patching things up and Google removing YouTube from Fire TV?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This may seem a stupid question, but what's the best way to resume watching a series I'm Amazon Video? In Netflix there's just "continue watching" but for Amazon Videos, I can't find anything similar. In fact I have to search for the series, then go to "more episodes" and scroll to the next one, which is kind of crappy.

I kind of expected stuff to come up in "my videos" but some series that I'm watching aren't.

It used to handle this just fine but it's been kind of crappy about it for a few months.

e: on fire stick. dunno what interface you're using.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Amazon is selling Chromecast again so they're probably keeping YT

Now I kinda wish i bought that Show when it was on sale for $130

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I got a new FireTV (3rd gen dongle thing) the other day to hookup in my bonus room and I am having some issues.

Basically my ISP's DNS servers are garbage and prevent DirecTV Now from working. It's a 1Gig Fiber connection and their router provided is also garbage and doesn't let me remove DNS server addresses, but I can add additional ones which doesn't seem to fix the issue at all. To get around this on my other two FireTV devices (one wifi, one wired) I've setup the connection as static and told the firetv's to use Google's DNS servers and then DTVN works without issue. The problem is on the new FireTV 3rd gen I go to do the same thing and it accepts the static ip input, gateway etc and connects, but even though I enter which DNS servers to use it doesn't seem to use them. I read some thing about the original firetv stick having a bug that prevented it from using manually entered dns servers when connecting over wifi, but wasn't able to find more info on that and it was from 2015.

So far the fixes I've seen involve me either getting a static IP from my isp for an extra $5 a month or forcing DNS and since I don't want to pay for something extra I don't need and can't do the other I am stuck. Is there any way to edit a connection config via ADB or something to try and set it up that way?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So Amazon added Firefox* to FireTV and started advertising it as the way to get "funny cat videos". Of course, the first link when opening Firefox is YouTube which brings up the TV interface. Guess it would be really bad for Google to block that.

* I'm suspicious that it's even Gecko/Fennec/whatever. It's 15 MB installed, so I'm assuming it's a webview with a Firefox user-agent string. Either way, good way for Mozilla to get some brand recognition.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I mean it is a stupid fight but I'm glad they brought a browser because I hate casting tabs to my Chromecast just to play a bunch of web browsers and have considered buying a Chomebit just to avoid it.

Has anyone tried a Bluetooth keyboard or even better a wireless keyboard and mouse combo though a USB hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tried the Firefox/Youtube workaround today on my family's 4K tv.

While the native Youtube app on ATV plays 4K Videos, youtube.com/tv via Firefox only displays the same video in Full HD (Nerd statistics via "More options").

What am I missing? I checked the settings, nothing indicates it's a UI configuration problem.