Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We just got a FireTV Stick yesterday and so far it seems like only Amazon, Netflix, and maybe Hulu are actually watchable. DirecTV Now is a laggy, stuttery mess. Plex is the same. I keep seeing ads for people selling these things with Kodi on them, so I put that on and it's pretty much unwatchable either so far using the official Kodi apps like Food Network, Cooking Channel, or ESPN3. Do people actually successfully use DTVNow or Kodi with their Fire Sticks? Is there a setting I need to change to make this work? DTVNow especially irks me because it worked fine (most of the time) streaming through the Chromecast and AppleTV, and I have a hard time believing the Stick is that much worse.

I mostly wanted a cheap device with a normal remote control to put in the guest bedroom since people don't seem to like using the Chromecast to browse content, but man this thing seems pretty mediocre once you get away from the couple of major streaming services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

PuTTY riot posted:

ESPN3 is pretty bad. Kodi is fine.

I didn't really expect too much from Kodi, but I hoped Plex would at least work alright. Even on my PS3 Plex can play things reasonably well, though the menus are absolutely awful to get through. But on the Fire Stick everything stops to buffer constantly unless I have the video set below 720p. I'm just curious if there's something obvious I might be missing since nearly every device I own can run DirecTV Now and Plex without much trouble, but the Fire Stick struggles with them both.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll check which router they're connected to. I assumed my gf set them up for the one within a foot of the stick, but she could have put them on the network on the other side of the house since the password is was easier to input. Glad to hear that this thing should be capable of doing the couple of things I want though, thanks guys.

edit: Yep, it was connected to the barely there signal with the easy password instead of the excellent signal with the long random password. Working great now!

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 26, 2017