Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vudu and Fandango Now both do 4k HDR (neither are available on the FireTV.)

FireTV can't do HDR at all which is a pretty glaring oversight at this point. If they can't upgrade the current devices to output HDR via an update, they really need to get new devices out there. Most of Amazon's shows have HDR now and to not be able to display them on their own streaming device is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Whoa what, is this true?

Yes, it's absolutely true. There is no FireTV device that does HDR. The 2nd gen FireTV only does 4k.

The only way to get Amazon in 4k HDR is through TV apps or the new Rokus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what would give me hope for FireTV boxes? Actually supporting the HDR that 90% of their original content has.

Amazon might have more HDR content than Netflix and Vudu combined and none of their own hardware supports it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's more to a TV than panel and smart interface.

How quality are the components like power supply? Are they using a high quality backlight with a wide color spectrum matched to the panel? Is there any local dimming involved and if so, how good are the algorithms? Are the optical spreaders for the backlight uniform? How well does the TV deinterlace, upscale, or detect frame cadence? How fine grained are the picture controls? How wide is the variance in output from set to set?

Some of this stuff matters less the smaller you go and it's generally hard to find a quality TV from any manufacturer under 40".

Generally it's true though that people don't care too much about image quality. That's one of the reasons why the TV market is in the sate it is in today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As you go above 50" or so, most of those things are visible to most people even if they don't have names for them. What they do know is blacks are splotchy, there are jaggies in stuff, and the picture seems like it's stuttering every so often or tearing. Many of people still won't pay significantly more to avoid those problems, but they still do still see them and would avoid them if it was in budget.

My point was that just because a TV shares the same panel doesn't mean it's anywhere near the same image quality. There's a reason why those TVs are cheaper, they represent a lot less R&D money and use cheaper components.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR for one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gaming on AFTV never really took off, so it's not really surprising to pull back on gaming performance for video playback and lowering the price.

I'm honestly having trouble caring about this hardware anymore since the Shield got Amazon Video in HDR.

At the end of the day, the FireTV doesn't really deliver anything you can't get elsewhere anymore, and it's missing out on two key services (Google Play TV and Movies and a provider for UV like Vudu) that all of the other major competitors have.

My FireTV second gen sits unused right now and my FireTV Stick just sees occasional use on my kitchen TV.

They need a hook and I'm not really sure what that would be right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I was mainly talking about being competitive with Roku.

Under $60 would make it the cheapest way to get Amazon 4k HDR, that much is true.

However, if you only care about Amazon and you have a TV that can display HDR, chances are you have an Amazon app on your TV that can do 4k HDR.

If you don't only care about Amazon, the extra $30 for the Roku is going to make a lot more sense (especially when Vudu starts supporting HDR10.)

They are really hamstring by app omissions. Amazon becoming a UV partner would really make a ton of sense in the long run since they could directly compete with Walmart, but they wouldn't like giving up that control. It is the missing piece though to keep people within the Amazon ecosystem for the majority of their streaming, but it also allows people to be portable with their content and go elsewhere with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vudu is a great UV provider. Their content is some of the highest bitrate streaming, have a wide selection of HDR, and even supports object based audio. I've converted pretty much my entire DVD and Blu-ray collection to UV digital. Beats the poo poo out of ripping and encoding myself.

There aren't really deficiencies in Vudu that makes me want another provider, I just want some diversity. The fact that Amazon can't even get deals in place to automatically give you digital copies with Amazon of the physical movies you buy there puts them behind the curve. I had a feeling that Disney must have strong armed them to allow Disney movies anywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Wow Westinghouse is still a thing. Besides flat screen TVs I think the only other products they make anymore are nuclear power plants.

Not the same company. The Westinghouse name was sold to cheap Chinese ODMs a long time ago for consumer electronics just like RCA.

Actually Westinghouse brand TVs are based in the US, just bottom of the barrel bargain brand. It still has nothing to do with Westinghouse Electric.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if all the Amazon TVs were actually the same model under the branding.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 28, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Serves me right for not reading the original article.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

4k without HDR just isn't worth it at all.

Shame on Amazon for putting out something that can't use their own service to the full extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CygnusTM posted:

Like the Fire TV?

Yup.