Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Peep Jerky posted:

I've had this problem for a long time. I thought maybe it was related to pairing with the Youtube app on my tablet over wifi, because I noticed if Youtube is already open on the Fire TV when you tap "pair with TV" on the tablet, it seems to load a second instance of the app on the Fire TV. I pretty much always use my tablet to control the TV app, and I think maybe it starts a new Youtube process every time. Like you said it'll be fine on a fresh start, but on the second or third time going back to the app it will start running at like 5FPS and the audio skips like crazy. Now I just force stop the Youtube app every time before I use it. I don't have Kodi, and Youtube and HBO Now are pretty much the only apps I use, so I assume it's just bad programming.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion it's just solely the youtube app, I've just come to force stopping youtube every few days.

However my FireTV (Gen1) seems busted now, I did a factory reset (wanted to start fresh moving it to another tv) went through the setup process to the point it says press play to continue and then shows the introduction video, at this point regardless of if you let it play out or skip the video it will show a loading screen for a second and then just reboot back to the press play to continue screen, I've tried everything I've been able to find on google but nothing seems to get it out of this loop.