Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Just got a Fire Stick 4k the other day, intending to replace an old Raspberry Pi 2 running Kodi, and having this run a Jellyfin client and be a bit more kid-friendly what with the Jellyfin UI and physical controller.

Jellyfin works fine. But I'm pretty disappointed to see that there seems to have been a recent change to break all any ability to take control of the OS. I was really hoping to replace the Amazon home screen with Jellyfin, and to re-map poo poo like the Disney+ button on the controller to do nothing or something useful. I'd seen various guides out there but hadn't realised they'd just gone out of date recently.

What I have instead is a home screen filled with banners of TV programmes I can't and don't want to watch, including stuff like people pointing guns which isn't so great for a family entertainment device. Even turning parental controls on doesn't stop it showing that stuff - just puts a pin lockout on it. Really surprised about that given Amazon's image and seeing stories about people getting kindle ads removed for being family-inappropriate.

I've been 50:50 on whether to try and get it refunded or not. I guess I won't keep them away from gun imagery for that long anyway, and I can presumably rip open the controller and break the Disney buttons. I'm hoping that given how popular these things are someone will come up with another fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU