Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My understanding is that gen1 sticks will be officially forgotten about in this update. Whether they get any bugfixes etc going forward with their old interface, I don't know. It's good enough to watch Prime and watch NextPVR through Kodi, which is all we use them for, so unless it's a night and day revelation in those departments we will continue to stick with what we've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CubanMissile posted:

Any idea why I can't find the VLC for Fire app on my new Firestick when it's available for the old one?

Probably the same kind of hardware profile nonsense that causes Google Play Store to deem certain apps "not available" for certain Android tablets.

Sideload this for now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there any decent alternative to ES? I've tried sideloading Solid Explorer and Astro and they don't work right with the remote interface or lack networking features for some reason.

Ever since ES sold to a Chinese outfit and promptly bloated up with system addons and popup messages at launch, I've gotten tired of their poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
OTA support would require some hardware deinterlacing, which only the first-gen stick seems to have. Bought a 2nd gen to run Kodi and a DVR plugin and was disappointed with 1080i channels. HDHomeRun forums say the boxes are the same way, which seems like a glaring oversight.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kodi has software deinterlacing, but on stick gen2 it slows the frame rate down to unwatchable.

And HDHomeRun's skinny little client app doesn't include filters like that, it just assumes the hardware can do it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If the mid-tier model has hardware deinterlacing, hallelujah.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
YouTube will be disabled on Fire TV effective New Years, because Google is mad that Amazon refuses to retail the Google Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hulu seems to be repeatedly crashing video playback with connection error messages on the Fire Stick line and only on the Stick line, and while the support people have plenty of reports on this they seem to be unable to make any kind of fix.

It’s a few seconds delay every 5-10 minutes but really sucks for something you’re going to pay money for.