Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I find it really annoying that you can't manually get the update. Fine, Amazon, do your automatic installations in a phased rollout, but if I am savvy enough to ask for the update, give it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Can't answer 1, but for 2, unfortunately UV is the major gap in the Fire TV coverage.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

bull3964 posted:

4k without HDR just isn't worth it at all.

Shame on Amazon for putting out something that can't use their own service to the full extent.

Like the Fire TV?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Leaked benchmarks have it slightly more powerful than the second gen stick but still behind the first gen FireTV. No thanks

If you are referring to the benchmark in the AFTVNews article, those numbers refer to some new mid-tier model. I would be extremely surprised if the new Echo Dot-style top tier model isn't faster than all of them.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Are you sure that the native Youtube app is playing in 4K? It's been widely reported that the Apple TV 4K can't play Youtube in 4K since it doesn't support the required codec.
I realize now that "ATV" in your post didn't mean Apple TV, and that you are probably referring to the Fire TV.
And this is the Fire TV thread. :hurr:

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 25, 2017

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Quote != Edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

Is this the thread in which I ask Chromecast vs Roku? Because this is a question I have.

Since Fire TV is neither of those things, probably not. Maybe the cordcutting thread?