Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
What's a good choice for a couple of basic controllers for a fire stick? Mainly for nes/snes emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
2 questions

1) I have a bunch of sticks. I have an older reciever that I'm setting up with 5.1 speakers and all that. My tv has an optical out and passes DD when I'm watching QAM cable. I can't seem to get the fire tv (or my blu ray for that matter) to push DD/DTS/whatever over that same opical cable, only stereo PCM. Any way to remedy this besides buying something (regular fire tv, hdmi receiver or weird thing that splits out the audio before it gets to the TV)

2) I have a few blu rays with "digital copies" that are "ultraviolet". Assuming that's some sort of brand. Is there an app or thing that'll let me watch those movies on my sticks? Disney's Finding Dory let me add it to my amazon account directly and it shows up under "your movies".

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

thebushcommander posted:

Hmmm mine is setup in the same way with 1 optical out to a receiver from the TV and it is able to play audio from all HDMI sources/inputs.. kinda weird. Maybe a setting in your tv audio options? What kind of TV is it?

It plays sound, it's just not 5.1 audio. I've looked around but not much to do, especially when you turn off the tv speaker. It's an older LG

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

thebushcommander posted:

Go into the FireTV settings and Display/Sounds - there are different settings for Dolby Audio i.e. "Dolby Digital Plus auto" , "Off", Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI and simply Dolby Digital over HDMI... maybe try using just Dolby Digital over HDMI if your receiver is older? idk if its on the default first settings and your device for playback doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus it will default to Stereo output.

This did the trick. I changed it from the Dolby Digital Plus Automatic to Dolby Digital over HDMI. Finding Dory making GBS threads out 3/2 DD like I'd expect. yay. Now if Hulu would just get their act together and give us something better than stereo I'd really be cooking with gas.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Oh yeah I got the update on my gen2 stick today. Haven't checked my gen1 sticks yet.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Harik posted:

Until the next update, when it buries everything I actually use under another dozen partner offers. That's what I mean about being an ad-platform.

I figured there would be some way to turn that poo poo off but gently caress having to. There's exactly zero people in the world who want to be the target of autoplaying video, but goddamn if marketing doesn't get diamond-hard erections at the thought of being able to force ads on everyone who turns on their TV.

The supposed integration with prime is worthless since there is, again, no way to actually search by prime - you search, it gives you tons of ads for videos to pay for. It's an ad delivery device. And Kodi doesn't even work that well on it.

I don't own Netflix, HBO Now, or the other 25 partner offers that showed up before the apps I do actually own. It's not everything free, either, it's everything that's paid to show up at the top of the list... generally we call those advertisements. I've reshuffled everything, again, but they obviously have no intention of maintaining your preferences on the next update.

It's also pretty ridiculous that they didn't implement CEC and you have to buy this ridiculous looking sidecar remote (or juggle multiple remotes) to change volume. Given a choice between mediocre voice search and volume control on the one remote you use, which would you prefer? This is a question Amazon never bothered asking.

lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
The new update is Fine.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I guess if you have a lot of 'ultraviolet digital copy' movies there's not an app for the fire stick that'll play them.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you thought ever thought 'oh boy, i'd like one of these fire tv things but i really wish it was built into some garbage tv' Amazon has you covered.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300384492.html

On a serious note, the fact that they actually integrated OTA support into the OS gives me hope for the Fire TV boxes. And lets hope the 3rd generation of Fire TV gets the same 3 GB of RAM plus 16 GB internal storage.

oh man oh man oh man please make this do QAM and ill replace all my sticks with fire boxes

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Could this be used as a car setup with no wifi and just storing videos for kodi on a usb stick?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ESPN3 is pretty bad. Kodi is fine.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
There weren't always ads on the home screen, right? Or am I crazy?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

phosdex posted:

What kind of ads are you seeing?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
So far Disney is the only 'digital download' I've managed to get working on the stick. UV stuff is garbage. At least Disney will let me set it up like I bought it from Amazon's on demand store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Just got the update on one of my 3 old fire sticks. Haven't checked the others yet.