Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just ordered a Fire TV 4k stick to replace my AppleTV. Main use case is an esoteric Japanese IPTV .apk that I can sideload, something I can’t do on the AppleTV or I’d just stick with that to be honest. But since my main daily driver apps are YouTube, Netflix, D+, Crave, and this IPTV thing, I can’t really justify keeping the AppleTV hooked up if the Fire stick can do everything else I want.

So my main question, can I use any USB-C to ethernet adapter to wire this in, or do I need to opt for the Amazon one? I do so much streaming on a daily basis that I’ve decided to keep off the WiFi spectrum with the AppleTV and don’t see that changing with the Fire stick. I have a few lying around but I still have time to order the official Amazon one to my order since it hasn’t shipped yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh good call, thanks.

E: It’s just $19 and I don’t have a micro-usb ethernet adapter so I just picked up the official one, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

10/100 should be fine for what I’m streaming now but the reliability might be what kills it. I’m mainly picking this up to keep Wifi from being congested but I might just cancel the adapter for now and see how well it fares. Thanks for the heads up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm okay so day one with the Fire stick any my thoughts are that I kind of hate it, but I’ll put up with it to not have to boot two IPTV boxes. My sideloaded app works and I have all the other apps I use on a daily basis so my distaste right now just boils down to the fact that the user interface feels really clunky, riddled with recommendations I can’t turn off, AND I paid eighty dollars and I’m still seeing some sponsored ads.

But I guess on a more practical note, is there a way to join a groupwatch in DisneyPlus? On my AppleTV it would detect that I’m in a groupwatch when I launch the app and offer to join. I’m on a groupwatch on my laptop but the Fire D+ app doesn’t seem to give me any options to join.

E: D+ seems really buggy. It’s just randomly locking up video and I have to force the app to stop.

E2: I think I’m going to return the Fire. I’m definitely not feeling this gadget and all the sponsored stuff leaves a really bad taste in my my mouth. I might give the Google one a try, I dunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I've been using it since that last post and CC is night and day better, I can't even begin to articulate it.

On par with AppleTV as far as user experience goes which was a high bar in my opinion.