Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Since the update, Kodi no longer seems to show up anywhere. Is there some workaround I have to do again to get it back wherever recent apps show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

It might disappear from recent apps (didn't on any of my devices) but you should be able to go to Apps and open it from your installed apps list.. or go to settings, manage installed apps and launch it to bring it back. They didn't block it with the update or anything.

I've launched it a couple times through Manage Installed Apps but it's not showing up anywhere :shrug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What could they add to the Fire TV that would make it worth buying over the current generation?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If a third-party app like Firestarter could remap that Amazon Music button to a Kodi button, I'd love that remote.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

phosdex posted:

I don't want microphones and light bars and speakers and other poo poo. Just play media files is all you gotta do amazon.

That's why they have an option that does just that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

It's apparently less powerful than the current FireTV

Less powerful than the current gen, but more powerful than the Stick. I'm sure it'll be fine.

If the IR blaster stuff on the top-end model can be set up like a Harmony remote, so that it can turn on multiple things and set the correct inputs, then I'd consider upgrading. Being able to tell it to open Netflix and it just turns everything on for you and opens the app, that would be really nice.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I imagine I'm going to get zero help from amazon because even though it's new out of the box he's owned it for almost three years.

It's still an Amazon product. Contact chat support, and I bet they'll either send out a new one, or get you in contact with tech support, or something to help resolve the problem.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

I've been on a FireTV since... forever. Now that Disney+ is not coming to FireTV, I'm thinking about getting a Shield. But I don't want to.

What are the odds that Amazon and Disney come to an agreement before November?

Isn't that only speculation because they left it off the list? AFAIK they haven't explicitly said that it won't be on Fire TV, and frankly they'd be foolish to leave it off one of the biggest streaming devices available.

Fire TV has a 30% market share, only topped by Roku.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sneeze Party posted:

I believe it's more than simple speculation at this point. Remember, there was no officially supported YouTube app on Amazon for over a year because of a disagreement between Amazon and Google. Amazon pulls stuff that impacts FireTV customers.

Look at it this way: Disney is trying to break into a market that is very difficult to get a foothold in. If you're not Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, nobody cares. Disney needs this to succeed and thus needs to be on as many devices as possible.

Now lets look at it from Amazon's perspective: yes, Disney+ succeeding is one more competitor to worry about, but who is currently streaming Disney's content? Netflix is. Disney pulling their content from Netflix to stream themselves hurts Netflix in a big way and gives Amazon a better position in the market. Yes, Disney will probably start pulling Fox movies from the competition as well, and that will probably hurt Amazon too, but Amazon's original shows are where they shine anyway.

So yes, maybe the two companies will bicker and ultimately not come to an agreement, but it seems unlikely.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

:smuggo: Disney reaches deal with Amazon to put Disney+ on Fire TV devices

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I just ordered a Fire TV 4k stick to replace my AppleTV. Main use case is an esoteric Japanese IPTV .apk that I can sideload, something I can’t do on the AppleTV or I’d just stick with that to be honest. But since my main daily driver apps are YouTube, Netflix, D+, Crave, and this IPTV thing, I can’t really justify keeping the AppleTV hooked up if the Fire stick can do everything else I want.

So my main question, can I use any USB-C to ethernet adapter to wire this in, or do I need to opt for the Amazon one? I do so much streaming on a daily basis that I’ve decided to keep off the WiFi spectrum with the AppleTV and don’t see that changing with the Fire stick. I have a few lying around but I still have time to order the official Amazon one to my order since it hasn’t shipped yet.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the Fire TV Stick 4K is micro usb, not USB-C, so don't buy the wrong adapter if you decide to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Oh good call, thanks.

E: It’s just $19 and I don’t have a micro-usb ethernet adapter so I just picked up the official one, thanks!

Did you read the reviews for it. They are pretty bad. Apparently it's only 10/100 and not very reliable.