Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any way to legally stream Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show on the Fire TV? Like, all episodes of all ~14 seasons? Netflix has 30 or so, but that's it, the other 250 episodes are unavailable, and aren't on YouTube anymore and you can't even find a box set of the DVDs on eBay these days. I'm open to any suggestions, my girlfriend has decided to learn to cook and I just can't explain this stuff as well as he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was hoping for a steaming solution, as at ~$200 that's a lot more than I was hoping to spend :( I think we paid ~$130 for game of thrones but that was a special exception as we ended up watching a lot of that offline on her Kindle tablet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool thanks, we may give that a whirl.

I'm big on Alton Brown as that's how I learned to cook, and that way we're speaking the same language; Alton Brown has a way of breaking down how the chemical reactions work and what modifies what in various permutations.

I didn't know they had a free trial program though, she's brought up Blue Apron before, I'll have to check that thread out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How recently did they roll out the new UI? I just got the new Fire TV 4K and the UI is awful, I agree. The old UI had easy access to prime music, which is about 99% of what I use it for

Other than Netflix and Prime Video, are there any other 4K HDR video streams yet? I.e. the new monthly HBO app/subscription. I heard that YouTube was rolling out 4k HDR to non PC devices soon but hasn't happened yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

FireTV can't do HDR at all which is a pretty glaring oversight at this point. If they can't upgrade the current devices to output HDR via an update, they really need to get new devices out there. Most of Amazon's shows have HDR now and to not be able to display them on their own streaming device is silly.

Whoa what, is this true?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So we bought a 2016 model 6500 series 4K samsung smart tv

Ahead of the purchase, went ahead and bought a 4k capable Amazon Fire TV (box not stick)

We've been watching Westworld (Amazon HBO $15/mo app), Black Mirror (Netflix 4K video) etc using the Fire TV and I've noticed that the Fire TV has about a 1" black bar around the video image. Turned off auto-scaling and the black bar seems to have disappeared at least. But for some reason, the video coming out of the AFTV is nowhere as clear as if we watch Black Mirror (Netflix 4K video) using the smart tv app.

Confirmed that the TV is displaying an image on HDMI 2 (where the Fire TV is plugged in to) at 3840 pixels × 2160 which is "true 4k". I'm also on some ridiculous 600mbps internet connection and using a highish end $160 google onhub router.

Where is the weak link in the video quality coming out of the AFTV? I would assume that the AFTV is doing DRM stripping, then decoding the 4K signal and piping it over HDMI to the TV.

I'd just use the smart tv app but we use the AFTV mostly for the music radio feature and it's on all the time, plus the AFTV is still way, way faster than the built in smart TV stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Building the Fire TV in to an Echo or Echo Dot seems pretty straightforward. 95% of what we use our Fire TV for is a radio. I don't know what you would use more ram or internal space, we have the HBO GO/NOW app installed, netflix, pandora, youtube and some local weather radar app that combined can't make up more than 200mb of space. "More hard drive space" is not something I ask for on a streaming media device typicaly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

This is what it use to look like.

Is there a way to re-enable this skin on my AFTV?

Actually I think my ideal skin would be 4 equally sized tiles, Prime Video, Netflix, HBO Go/Now, Prime music

I loving hate design people, companies hire them full time, they do their primary job and make a good ui, then rather than quit, to look productive they start redesigning it over and over again, each iteration worse than the last because it can't look like the previous designs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

but I don't want to have to buy a new box in a year or two when OLEDs start dropping into a more normal price

poo poo, Samsung was selling their HDR 65" 4K LCD hdtv for $930 over christmas, with free shipping. It's not OLED good but pretty close. I think every TV over 39" is going to be 4K HDR by the end of the year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's time to get a better router, or buy a wifi repeater. Streaming video over a flaky WiFi connection is awful and frustrating. WiFi on my two AFTV has been very strong overall

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is the existing non stick AFTV mid tier or upper tier? All I want is 4K HDR playback. Seems odd that they would slot in a better model with HDR support below their existing 4K unit without an update to the high end model to support HDR

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow Westinghouse is still a thing. Besides flat screen TVs I think the only other products they make anymore are nuclear power plants.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do these new Fire TVs do HDR yet?

We've switched over to the smartTV app (HDR) in our television and the difference is pretty noticeable compared to the FireTV.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well i think the actual text says something along the lines of "sometime in 2018" which might mean NYE 2018, or never, as it's a negotiation tactic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah well, that's just like your opinion, man

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your stream provider will down rate the video quality until it streams well. Going down far enough will cause banding.

Option B is to look into a HDR supported family of devices (not all fire tv support HDR) which will solve your banding problem. Assuming your bandwidth is good enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check your cable, it might be running reduced color depth to make up for inferior signal quality? I don't think the contacts are big enough but maybe check for corrosion and clean if possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Just tape a giant wood stirring spoon to it.

Best user name

Also, yeah, all our remotes etc have a 3' red ribbon glued to the back. Looped back it's probably 1.5' but whatever. It's bright red and slightly reflective and is usually snaking out from under some blanket, cat, or pillow.

Giant wooden spoon is a very close second

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a google home thread, or similar?

Due to recent events my parents are in the southwest, while my family is here on the west coast.

Looks like there are a couple of video chat features out there, Zoom, obviously, but it looks like Facebook, Amazon and Google all offer a videoconference kiosk of some sort

I was thinking about getting myself, my parents, and my mother in law all video conferencing kiosks, probably Google based, as that's what we're using at our house and mother in law's house, so we'd just add my parents to that and everyone is good to go.

Curious what people's experiences have been like for the "google next max" which seems to be the only standalone video-capable device right now. Looks like, when it launched, you could not make video calls from the device, only receive them? Is that still true? Looks like if you can make calls from the home max, you have to dig around in the settings to get it to work using "Duo" which is.... google's third? fourth? concurrent video chat application

Would like to stay away from the facebook portal thing, they already know enough about my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon released a new thing where they're, uh, I'm not sure exactly,

Share your internet with other Amazon devices? And it's opt out, I guess. But no security guarantees, or something. Called "Sidewalk"

https://gizmodo.com/you-need-to-opt-out-of-amazon-sidewalk-1845750268

Good luck