Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Is there any way to sideload the update? I'm still not seeing any update available for my Fire TV and I'm impatient and antsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

No, they do a staggered rollout to make sure there's no issues. AFTVNews has a faq that better explains it http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-software-update-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

Interesting read, thanks for that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sendo posted:

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

Have you tried going to Manage Apps and clearing YouTube cache?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

So is there not going to be a wired Amazon Fire TV except for the cube thing with Alexa?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've got a Fire TV which I love, but the picture has lots of banding, mostly in uniform backgrounds or things in dim lighting or darkness, even in HD. Are all streaming boxes going to produce that or do some offer better image quality?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does the latest generation Fire TV still have banding in video playback? On my 1080p TVs it's particularly noticeable in darker scenes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

I have a launch Fire TV stick that has been shelved for over a year that I decided to dust off and mess with.

Does it have to download and install literally every single update in sequence to bring it up to date? I'm about seven updates deep at this point.

That's what my nieces' Kindle Fire tablets did. Madness. I'd suggest resetting to factory settings once the final update is installed to eradicate any shite left between upgrades, and to insure the best performance from the thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What would give faster performance, the second gen Fire TV (the 4K one) or the current Fire TV Stick 4K?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any recommendations for a gigabit ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Cube? It's insulting they're putting out 100Mbps adapters.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Pretty sure the reason these are all limited at 100Mbps is because the USB ports are USB 2.0 still which doesn't support Gigabit speeds.

They really need to sort that poo poo out. I disconnected ethernet and just hopped on my WiFi, I'm now getting over 3 times the download speeds. It feels wrong though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Good grief, the new Fire TV Cube will have an Ethernet port built-in but still be a 100Mbps connection. What madness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's the likelihood of a Fire TV Cube being released this year with either built-in or USB adapter supporting gigabit Ethernet? My wireless speeds on my current unit are decent but I plugged the 100Mbps Ethernet adapter back in because the wireless sometimes switched to another access point further away with crap speed.