Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

thebushcommander posted:

Pro tip for anyone using a Kodi on firetv box or stick... Last night I encountered a lack of storage on my box for the first time ever. After inspecting apps it seemed Kodi was using 3.2GB of storage on my box. This of course causes caching issues with streaming videos etc as it didn't have any place to put more data coming in. After poking around the file manager for a minute I realized that the Thumbnails folder was using 2.6GB! of space. Now I assume there is a tool or way to remove them all to "start" fresh downloading movies/tv show tumbnail art etc, however a quick google suggested that the majority of the space used in that file is all the actor thumbnails. It literally downloaded via IMDB or MovieDB every single actors picture from basically anything I've watched. Which why the gently caress would you need any of that.

tl;dr - Go to Settings > Video - Uncheck "Download actor thumbnails" which should help prevent rapid build up of storage usage.

Wow that's really fuckin dumb. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway first gen fire owner here. Any guess on when I'll get the new UI? 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I've been checking every day. I figure us early adopters will get hosed and maybe see it sometime after the new year. The old one sucks and It's the only reason I use my Roku. I'd love to swap them. I hate that the apps are organized the way they currently are and that you have to go around and look for what apps need updating.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well poo poo. Maybe you and I'll get it sometime in Q1 2017. Better than loving up my device though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm never gonna get this UI update. Since I got mine on launch day I'm assuming I will be one of the last to get it. I wanna bitch about how it sucks like you guys :(

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I got all excited this morning as my Gen 1 TV said it was updating. It's just 5.2.1.2 and that's only security patches and bug fixes. It sounds like I'm probably going to get the update way later this year if they're making a special version just for Gen 1 owners. The new OS must not like the old hardware.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Neat now I can watch my racist Aunt be racist on TV

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If a third-party app like Firestarter could remap that Amazon Music button to a Kodi button, I'd love that remote.

Agreed

Also, what's with the big rear end Westinghouse logo. Just seems weird since Amazon loves their own branding.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Rad, I'd love to get a TV that has a built in device so I can't upgrade said device for the lifetime of the TV sweet deal thx.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
e nvm

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

My experience is older people read way too much into what they think "smart technology" can do. My mother-in-law swears, I thought she was kidding but she is dead serious, that Alexa likes my father-in-law better than her and even flirts with him, while Alexa is rude to her.

Maybe your FIL is a handsome guy and Alexa likes him. :shrug: