Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Downloader got a big update.

quote:

I am very excited to announce the latest version of my Downloader app for the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. The big new feature of this 1.1.1 version is a built-in web browser. The browser allows you to easily navigate websites using the Fire TV remote without needing a mouse or keyboard. Downloading files is available through the browser so you no longer need to know the direct download URL to the file you want to download or the APK you want to install. You can just navigate to any website and click a download link to get the file you want.

http://www.aftvnews.com/downloader-app-v1-1-1-update-for-fire-tv-adds-built-in-web-browser/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PBpOLFdKg&t=93s

withak posted:

Has anyone else been getting frequent "Home is Currently Unavailable" errors lately? The network settings thing says that it can connect to wifi but not to the internet, but I can use the internet (including reaching amazon.com) on other devices over the same wifi connection so that isn't actually the problem.

Could be worth checking it with myNetLyzer.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-mynetlyzer-app-tests-your-wifi-network-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-sticks/

If it's not the wifi signal, it could be some type of hardware failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Now you can get your facebooks on your fire tv

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094BB4TW

quote:

The app requires you to login to a Facebook account, and once you do, you’ll be able to watch videos your friends have shared, top videos, recommended videos, as well as videos you’ve uploaded yourself to the social network.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX is now free

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVYMJBN

Craptacular! posted:

OTA support would require some hardware deinterlacing, which only the first-gen stick seems to have. Bought a 2nd gen to run Kodi and a DVR plugin and was disappointed with 1080i channels. HDHomeRun forums say the boxes are the same way, which seems like a glaring oversight.

I thought it was a software thing with MPEG2?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
AFTVNews posted an article on recommended content from third party apps.

quote:

With the new Fire TV user interface, Amazon added the ability for any app you have installed to recommend content for you to watch. These recommendations will appear in their own row on the Fire TV’s home screen. This new functionality was likely added in part to address criticism that Amazon only highlights their own Prime Video content on the Fire TV’s interface. Amazon just updated their developer documentation for this feature, giving us a better idea of how it works. Here’s a breakdown of the feature and what to expect when apps begin adopting it.

Recommendations from apps will appear in a row on the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick’s home screen called “RECOMMENDED BY YOUR APPS.” It appears that certain services, like Netflix and HBO, get special privileges that give them their own dedicated row of recommendations, while all other apps must share a single generic recommendations row.

Amazon has no control over what is displayed in the recommended content row. The apps themselves select the content based on your viewing history within the app and new content available. This means only content from apps you have installed will appear in the recommended content row. Additionally, Amazon is requiring that you’ve launched the app at least once before it can recommend content.

The title, description, and image in the recommended content row is controlled by the 3rd-party app. Additionally, the app can control what options appear when you press the menu button on the Fire TV remote while highlighting a piece of recommended content.

An option to launch the app making the recommendation will always be present, but the app can also choose to include the following options: Watch, Resume, Switch Profile, Change Settings, View, Play, Listen, and Open. So if the app is recommending that you continue watching an episode or movie that it knows you already started, it can choose to display a resume button that starts playback where you left off.

The Fire TV’s support for recommended content from apps is actually compatible with Android TV’s implementation of a similar feature. This means that if an app developer ports their app over from Android TV, the recommendations the app displays in the Android TV interface will also appear in the Fire TV interface. Amazon has added extra enhancements on top of Android TV’s implementation of recommendations, like marking content as live and setting the content’s maturity rating for parental control reasons, but these are optional for developers. Compatibility with Android TV means more developers will be likely to use the new recommended content feature.

Amazon has laid out best practices for app developers when it comes to recommending content. For starters, they suggest that each app only recommend 5 items at a time, so that a single app does not flood the recommendations row. When you select a piece of recommended content, the app is supposed to remove that item from the list of recommendations. Amazon also suggests that apps display free content in the recommendation row and not use it to hard sell premium content.

While Amazon is giving 3rd-party developers a lot of control over the recommended content row, they will blacklist apps that abuse the privilege. Amazon says apps that “harass, hard sell, or recommend inappropriate content” may be blacklisted from the recommendations row.

http://www.aftvnews.com/heres-how-the-recommended-by-your-apps-section-of-the-amazon-fire-tv-works/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh poo poo...

quote:

Exclusive: Amazon to release new mid-tier Fire TV model with 4K, HDR, and Android 7

Amazon will be releasing a new Fire TV model which falls in between their current 2nd generation Fire TV Stick and 2nd generation Fire TV. This information is based on a benchmark I’ve discovered and other information I’ve acquired. The new model will support 4K UHD playback at 60 fps and high dynamic range (HDR) video, which is superior to all existing Fire TV models, although I expect the new model to be sold alongside both existing Fire TV models. This will be Amazon’s first HDR capable streaming device and is meant to be an entry-level model for 4K HDR streaming, to compete with the Chromecast Ultra. The new device will run a version of Fire OS that is based on Google’s latest Android 7 Nougat operating system, which is a significant upgrade from their current Fire TV lineup that runs Fire OS 5 based on Android 5.1 Lollipop.

The new Fire TV carries a build model value of “AFTN” which indicates its codename starts with an N. This could be a reference to Android 7 Nougat, since this will be the first Fire TV to ship with the new OS version, but it likely doesn’t exactly share a codename with Google’s latest version of Android.

The system-on-a-chip (SoC) in the new Fire TV model is from Amlogic’s S905 line of chips, which are the same chips used in the Xiaomi Mi Box streaming device. The CPU is a quad-core capable of running at 2 GHz, but is limited to 1.5 GHz, either by Amazon for heat reasons or by the SoC kernel. The GPU is a Mali-450 MP, which is the same one in the latest Fire TV Stick.

Gaming benchmark scores for the new Fire TV model fall in between the current 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick and the original 1st-gen Fire TV. While the new model scores about 28% better than the Fire TV Stick, thanks mostly to its more powerful CPU, it is clearly not meant to be a gaming device or a replacement for the 2nd-gen Fire TV set-top box.

System memory for the new Fire TV model is reported as 1.5 GB by the benchmark utility, but there’s a good chance it actually has 2 GB of total memory. Depending on the SoC, some devices don’t report the memory allocated to the GPU when queried. The 2nd-gen Fire TV is such a device. It has 2 GB of RAM, but only reports 1.5 GB when queried by the same benchmark utility because 512 MB is allocated to the GPU. Internal storage of the new Fire TV model likely comes in at 8GB, which matches all other Fire TV models, past and present.

Based on the new Fire TV model’s specs and capabilities, I strongly suspect it will have a dongle form factor with a built in HDMI plug. Like the Fire TV Stick, this new model will plug directly into the back of a TV, instead of being a set-top box. That would place it most directly in competition with Google’s 4K and HDR capable Chromecast Ultra.

Pricing and a release date for the new Fire TV model are unknown. Based on Amazon’s history of aggressively pricing hardware with the expectation of making most of their profit on content sales, and the pricing of its closest competitors, the Chromecast Ultra and the Mi Box, which both retail for $69, I expect the new Fire TV model to be priced at $59 or less.

Apart from the first Fire TV, which was released in April, Amazon has released all subsequent Fire TV models around October, so I expect the new Fire TV model to be released around that time later this year. I don’t expect the new model to replace either of the existing Fire TV models. The 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick still has a place as the budget friendly entry-level device for those who don’t yet own a 4K TV, and the 2nd-gen Fire TV set-top box will continue to have superior gaming capabilities and port selection until it is replaced by a new flagship model.

While the new 4K@60fps and HDR capable Fire TV model has superior video playback capabilities than the existing 2nd-gen Fire TV, which does 4K@30fps and does not support HDR, it is sure to disappoint those who have been eagerly waiting for the arrival of a 3rd-gen Fire TV set-top box. Amazon’s Fire TV Stick outsells the Fire TV set-top box, so its understandable the company would first focus on a new product that appeals to Fire TV Stick buyers, before updating their flagship set-top box. Those wanting the improved video capabilities of the new Fire TV model without sacrificing the gaming capabilities and port selection of the 2nd-gen Fire TV are going to have to hold out a little bit longer.

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazon-to-release-new-mid-tier-fire-tv-model-with-4k-hdr-and-android-7/

Although this is the second or third time he's hosed up the codename on speculation. It's always related to some character from some movie.

And possibly the second time he went 'no seriously this new thing is a stick' only for it to be the big box version. It'd make sense to keep the Fire TV Stick the way it is, release this new thing at a price that can compete with the Mi Box and (potentially) have a premium tier box as the proper successor to the 2nd gen Fire TV.

Or Amazon could be abandoning their casual gaming ambitions outside of what we have. The flow of games is down to nothing and most of the games can be played on the Stick.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 20, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Is the existing non stick AFTV mid tier or upper tier? All I want is 4K HDR playback. Seems odd that they would slot in a better model with HDR support below their existing 4K unit without an update to the high end model to support HDR

There's only two tiers. Lower (Stick) and Higher (Box)

The guy that runs AFTVNews thinks that this will be a third tier that will take the middle but I'm doubting that. With this news, I wouldn't be surprised if they shitcanned the real replacement to the 2nd gen Fire TV and adapted the strategy they're using for their tablets. Get them working well enough for the average user (but nowhere as good as the previous generation) and crater the price on them.

So I'd guess

Current Gen Fire TV Stick - $30-35
This new box thing that can do 4K HDR -$50-60

with the 2nd gen Fire TV box getting discontinued.

And I really hope this is (wrong) speculation and not somebody on the inside feeding him information

quote:

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a stick to not be a box. It could be Chromecast-like with a short HDMI cable permanently attached. That would differentiate it enough from the Fire TV Stick to alleviate any confusion. I just don’t think this thing will sit on a shelf and require a detachable HDMI cable. But again, that’s all just my guess, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 20, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

They need a hook and I'm not really sure what that would be right now.

It's the price. If it lands at $60, they're move a ton of units. It'd undercut both the Mi Box and the Chromecast Ultra and get close to being competitive with Roku again (who's made some surprising moves recently)

The Shield's a great piece of hardware but the price puts it in another world along with the Apple TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Well, I was mainly talking about being competitive with Roku.

Under $60 would make it the cheapest way to get Amazon 4k HDR, that much is true.

However, if you only care about Amazon and you have a TV that can display HDR, chances are you have an Amazon app on your TV that can do 4k HDR.

If you don't only care about Amazon, the extra $30 for the Roku is going to make a lot more sense (especially when Vudu starts supporting HDR10.)

They are really hamstring by app omissions. Amazon becoming a UV partner would really make a ton of sense in the long run since they could directly compete with Walmart, but they wouldn't like giving up that control. It is the missing piece though to keep people within the Amazon ecosystem for the majority of their streaming, but it also allows people to be portable with their content and go elsewhere with it.

Eh, I don't know. If somebody's in the market for a streaming box it's most likely because they decided their smart TV didn't cut it for every day use and/or there's some other feature they want.

Roku's been making some great moves lately but the UI is still ancient compared to the competition and there's some services Amazon hasn't shared with them (like a fully functional Amazon Music app, Prime Photos, Alexa)

I also wish they'd become a UV partner but they seem completely against anything that could potentially eat into their VOD sales. Whether it's UV or Kodi in their appstore or NTFS support for hard drives. But I just use the Vudu app on my Roku TV so :shrug:

(although it is pretty weird how out of all the garbage UV connected storefronts there are, none of them have ported their android app over to the Fire store. you'd think fandango now or cinemanow would be desperate enough)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like the Fire TV Smart TVs will probably launch around the same time as the new box.

quote:

The four Westinghouse models receiving FCC approval are the WA43UFA1001, WA50UFA1001, WA55UFA1001, and WA65UFA1001, which correspond to the 43″, 50″, 55″, and 65″ screen sizes respectively. As expected, all four telvisions feature the exact same specs and features, apart from having different screen sizes.

There will also be four Seiki branded and four Element branded televisions released, but all models, regardless of branding, will all feature the same specs and all be manufactured by the same company, Tongfang Global. The Seiki and Element televisions do not appear to have gone through FCC approval yet.

At CES, the representative from these television’s manufacturer told me they were hoping for a launch of all models around June of this year. Seeing these televisions pass through FCC approval now is a good sign that launching around June may still happen.

http://www.aftvnews.com/westinghouses-four-amazon-fire-tv-edition-televisions-pass-fcc-approval/

And they hilariously stole the partner buttons (that everybody hates) from Roku.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
NASA just released an official app. It has three live streams. NASA TV (Public), NASA TV (Media) and ISS Live Views. Plus a bunch of other stuff like images, information on missions and a VOD section.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVR87LQ

Blue Train posted:

Multiple brands are selling the TVs, Westinghouse Seiki and whatever other ones

Yeah, it's basically the same as the Roku TV where they handle the software side and license it out to TV manufacturers.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 28, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Not the same company. The Westinghouse name was sold to cheap Chinese ODMs a long time ago for consumer electronics just like RCA.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if all the Amazon TVs were actually the same model under the branding.

They are. All three brands are owned by Tsinghua Tongfang.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
awesome

quote:

Exclusive: Amazon is working on a Silk Web Browser for the Fire TV

It looks like Amazon’s Silk web browser, which comes installed on their line of Fire tablets, will be coming to the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. If you sideload the tablet version of Amazon’s Silk browser onto the Fire TV, you don’t simply get a touch-based app that requires a mouse to use, like you get if you sideload Chrome or Firefox. Instead, you’re presented with a tutorial, made specifically for the Fire TV, instructing you on how to use the Fire TV’s Alexa voice remote to search and navigate the web.

Digging into the source of the Silk browser app, it’s clear that Amazon has recently begun adding support for the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. There’s a very unique solution built-in for the task of selecting webpage links on a device without a mouse or touchscreen, as well as support for embedded webpage videos that allows you to control video playback using the media buttons on the Fire TV remote. Feedback options specific to the Fire TV indicate the browser is already being tested internally by Amazon employees.

When the Fire tablet version of the Silk browser is launched on the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, the television device is detected and a tailor made navigation tutorial begins. The tutorial instructs you to press the select button on the remote to highlight and click the button on the screen. The tutorial appears to be a website loaded within the browser.

Amazon has decided to take a unique approach to selecting a specific link on a webpage using a remote control. Pressing the select button causes a unique set of up/down/left/right arrows to appear on each link. Clicking a link is done by pressing the sequence associated with the link you want selected. Done this way, a page with up to 64 links will require up to 3 button presses to select a link. Adding a fourth button press will cover pages with up to 256 links.

Since the Fire TV is primarily a video consumption device, special consideration has been given to embedded videos in webpages. Selecting a video causes it to play in full screen.

While a video is playing, the remote’s media buttons (play, pause, rewind, fast-forward) can be used to control playback. Pressing back exits full screen playback and returns to the web page.

The end of the tutorial instructs you to press the voice search button to search the web. This is significant because the voice search button on the Fire TV has always triggered an Alexa powered universal search that appears overtop whatever is on the screen. The Silk browser tutorial seems to indicate that, for the first time, the Fire TV’s voice search button will be mapped to a specific action within an app. Hopefully this means voice functionality will finally be opened to 3rd-party developers to allow voice input for text fields within apps.

It seems like all sessions in the Silk browser for the Fire TV may begin with a voice search. Since pressing the voice search button on my Fire TV triggers the standard universal search, as opposed to the browser search, I was not able to proceed past this point in the tutorial or use any other aspects of the browser on the Fire TV. There does not appear to be any way enter a URL using the standard onscreen keyboard. At least, not at the end of the tutorial.

Amazon employees who are beta testing the Silk browser likely have a beta version of Fire OS with code that grants in-app use of the search button, which is missing from regular Fire TVs. Pressing the menu button on the remote brings up the option to go back, forward and reload the current page. There is also an option to report issues, which will likely be removed from the final version of the browser. No other browser functionality could be accessed.

Many companies in the past have tried to bring web browsing to a TV interface, with little success. The purpose of Amazon’s Silk browser on the Fire TV is likely not for general web browsing, but is instead to grant access to streaming video that is otherwise not available in a dedicated Fire TV app. Huge thanks to AFTVnews reader David (a.k.a. goodur in the comments), for tipping me off to the hidden capabilities of Amazon’s Silk browser.

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazon-is-working-on-a-silk-web-browser-for-the-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
An update is rolling out to bring the new interface to all 1st gen devices.

http://www.aftvnews.com/software-update-5-2-4-1-rolling-out-to-all-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-models-adds-new-interface-to-1st-gen-devices/

It also brings voice search to YouTube

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick-now-supports-voice-search-for-youtube/

The ability to monitor data usage and warn you when you've reached your data cap.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-can-now-monitor-data-usage-and-alert-you-when-youve-reached-a-data-cap/

And allows you to select the video quality.

http://www.aftvnews.com/you-can-now-select-from-3-video-quality-settings-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 6, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way to sideload the update? I'm still not seeing any update available for my Fire TV and I'm impatient and antsy.

No, they do a staggered rollout to make sure there's no issues. AFTVNews has a faq that better explains it http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-software-update-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The weird Fire TV televisions are live. They all appear to be 4K but it doesn't seem like they do HDR (which puts them behind the newest Roku TVs coming soon)

Element - preorder - ships June 14th

43" = $449.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD4SXW...b097ce00d6271e1
50" = $549.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDQYQ8...e7e2ffcbd760411
55" = $649.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDC9RB...93a9d504ee3c4e4
65" = $899.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDC154...afb0dc92eb269ca

I don't really get the point beyond 'all in one tv for mom & dad' but I thought the same thing about the Roku TV and those apparently have 15% of the smart tv market now so :shrug:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

thebushcommander posted:

Well, not sure I'd blame Amazon for the TV it is an "element" which is bottom barrel garbage brand. They're just the first partner for the OS on the tv and I think there were like 3 or 4 other manufacturers doing a FireOS tv too, like the TLC brand one has HDR 4K and is bottom barrel brand too.

All three brands are by the same manufacturer :ssh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've been messing around with my Fire TV and updating various things.

For people missing UV support, I can confirm that sideloading the Vudu app does work (with native remote support)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/android-tv-vudu-app-fire-tv-to-watch-t3592092

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alexa on Fire TV is getting a makeover.

quote:

Most of the new Alexa cards take up only a portion of the screen, but some, like audio playback requests, do still take up the entire screen. That is because Amazon has greatly enhanced these cards and needs the extra real-estate. Instead of just displaying the track title and album art for music requests, the new Alexa music card also displays a progress bar as well as on-screen playback controls. These controls now allow you to control the music using your remote in addition to your voice. Listening to audio streams through Alexa that do not have track information, like the Flash Briefing, will display jut the audio controls.

An interesting new aspect of the new Alexa cards is the ability for them to overlap each other in certain scenarios. If you’re playing music through Alexa, for example, and then ask a general knowledge question, Alexa’s music interface remains on the screen and the information card slides in on top of the music interface. This is a great improvement over the current interface because, as it is now, doing anything while Alexa plays music will completely close the music card and stop playback. The new Alexa TV interface will continue playing music while you make new requests with Alexa.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-to-receive-a-complete-visual-overhaul/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 23, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

speedtek posted:

So I'm kind-of in the market for a 4k TV. Even though the Amazon TV doesn't do HDR, all of the other features (built-in tuner, 1 remote for everything) seem to make it a great value otherwise. The big question is, can I safely assume I can load Kodi onto it just as easily as with a regular FTV?

From everything I hear, HDR is the killer feature of 4K so you'd probably be better off with one of those new Roku TVs and attaching a Fire TV Stick for Kodi.

The basic model 4K HDR 55" is only $449.99 https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-5...41fdf1a898bb3c1 and the higher end 55" model with 4K HDR & Dolby Vision is $600 at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...p?skuId=5878705

But from what I read, you should be able to sideload apps onto the TV Fire TV the same way you can the standalone boxes. So I guess if you don't care about 4K and just want 1 interface/1 remote, it'd work for you.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 27, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon accidentally put this up on their firmware page. So expect this some time soon.

quote:

You can now use your compatible Amazon Alexa device to control the video playback on your Fire TV device after linking them in the Alexa app. While playing an Amazon video, you can use playback commands like pause, play, resume, fast forward, next episode, and rewind. Also, you can ask Alexa to search for videos by titles, genres, or actors. Or you can ask Alexa to search for an app and open it by saying, “Open [app name] on my Fire TV.” To learn more, go to Use Your Alexa Device to Control Your Fire TV.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-devices-will-soon-be-able-to-control-playback-and-launch-apps-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Controlling the Fire TV with any Alexa device just went live.

Basically the way it works is you go into the Alexa app, choose what Fire TV device you want, choose which Alexa device you want to grant control to and pair them. That way you could only give control to a bedroom fire tv to a bedroom alexa device instead of everything being able to control everything.

I tested it and it seems to respond to '[x] on my fire tv' commands. Which is nice that I don't have to say the full device name.

- edit Music playback still seems to not be working. Couldn't get my Echo to play a song on my Fire TV and I couldn't transfer an already playing song over.

But video stuff and playback controls seem to be working fine.

- edit 2

quote:

Once linked together, you can use the Alexa device to control playback of what is currently playing on the Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, or Fire TV Edition television by saying “Alexa, pause/play/rewind/fast-forward.” If you have multiple devices that can accept these commands, you can specify you want to control the Fire TV by adding “…on Fire TV” to the end of any command. You can also ask to start playing specific content by saying “Alexa, watch [movie/show name].“

In addition to controlling and starting content, you can also ask Alexa devices to launch apps by saying “Alexa, open [app name].” Also available is searching by saying “Search for [query] on Fire TV.” The last command that is available for all Fire TV devices is to simply say “Alexa, go home” to load the Fire TV home screen.

Amazon’s Fire TV Edition televisions have even deeper integration with Alexa devices than the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. With the televisions, you can use Alexa devices to control power by saying “Alexa, turn on Fire TV.” You can also control the volume by saying “Alexa, mute the volume on Fire TV.”

The current input of Fire TV Edition televisions can also be controlled through an external Alexa device by saying something like “Alexa, switch to HDMI one.” Lastly, Alexa can also be used to control the built-in tuner. Since the television is aware of the channel names thanks to its program guide, you can ask to change to a specific channel by saying “Alexa, tune to NBC/CBS/[channel name].“

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-devices-can-now-control-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 1, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
More news that either a new HDR capable box or TV is coming soon.

quote:

We already know Amazon is working on a new Fire TV capable of 4K and HDR, thanks to a leaked benchmark from earlier this year, but it now seems the unreleased device has moved on from development to quality assurance testing. My scripts, which crawl for new Fire TV apps for my weekly app roundup, occasionally pick up apps created by Amazon employees to test certain aspects of the Fire TV. These test apps are usually uninteresting and are commonly deleted within a day, but a new test app just appeared that is clearly meant to test HDR support on a Fire TV.

The test app (screenshot) in question is credited to Lab126.com, which is Amazon’s research and hardware division. The app is listed as a Fire TV app with a description that just says “HDR Videos,” despite there currently not being an HDR capable Fire TV available. The screenshots of the app reveal that it simply streams a 4K HDR10 video from YouTube.

Searching YouTube brings up the video (screenshot) being used in the test app. It appears to have been uploaded by Jonathan Fisher, a Quality Assurance manager at Amazon’s Lab126. The video title indicates it’s a 4K HDR10 clip with a bitrate of 4,000 Kbps. Embedded in the video is a counter that counts each video frame.

With Android TV and Roku devices already supporting HDR video, and Apple rumored to be releasing an HDR capable Apple TV soon, it’s no surprise that the next Fire TV will also support HDR video. The fact that it seems like the new Fire TV is in its QA testing phase is a good indicator the new model will be released soon.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-is-currently-testing-an-hdr-capable-4k-fire-tv/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Myriarch posted:

Does anyone know of any combined IR+Bluetooth remote? I have a fire tv stick (so no flirc) and the tv doesn't have hdmi-cec, so right now two remotes are needed. The old tv remote is on the fritz, and I'd like to replace it with one to control both of them.

There's a snap thing you can get for the Fire TV remote if you don't want to spend the money on a Logitech remote.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRFY61G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkId=d146b0bfe8a78113c184e2f518c9903f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a snap thing you can get for the Fire TV remote if you don't want to spend the money on a Logitech remote.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRFY61G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkId=d146b0bfe8a78113c184e2f518c9903f

The price dropped on this to $22.49