Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Cojawfee posted:

I did not. I started a new game and haven't even started building the engine because I went to buy stuff at the shop and when I got back all the body panels were smashed to bits.

Did you buy a fan belt and put it on?

yep. rad's on, all three pipes tight, water pump running, belt on. the car ran flawlessly all day previous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do you pick up a wrench? I keep picking up the case and hitting 'f' while looking at it or holding it doesn't do anything either way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
How do you hoist the engine block? Is there a lift cable somewhere I'm missing?

edit: ^^^ hit 2 to go into tool mode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Left click and right click the lever to go up and down. Lower it all the way, place the block near it and screw in the two bolts. Save the game and load back in. The block will be hanging on the hoist.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You don't even have to save and exit. Just unscrew and screw in the bolts somewhere near the engine and it'll snap to. I did it on the fly a couple times when I screwed up my hoist placement while trying to drop it in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

wait where are these [rice parts I ordered] even going to appear

Post office, I assume.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Ordered parts take a few days to arrive. When it does, a bill appears on the desk in the shop. Pay it, and the parts will show up outside by the fuel pumps.

The extra gauges are great for troubleshooting. Figured out my fan belt was slipping and a propper carburetor tune using them. If only my brakes would work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There is now a dirtiness meter. No idea how to lower it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Shower in your house?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I turned the faucet on but no idea how to get the shower too turn on.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
You need to throw water on the hot sauna oven when the sauna is more than 100 degrees. Shower isn't implemented yet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Full patch notes:
-Made fluid UI's show the full state for one second
-Fixed Tractor jerky parking brake
-Added 'Dirtiness' meter to show when you should go to Sauna to get rid of the FLIES
-Fixed leaking Oil drain plug issue after engine repair job at Fleetari repair shop
-Fixed exploit where Logs could be split by hands
-Possible fix for vehicle collision issues, but can't be confirmed as I can't reproduce the original issue
-Added driving lights to Tractor
-Added towing hooks to Truck
-Removed console commands as those are not meant to be used by players and can cause serious issues
-"Song import" is disabled by default

Re: the dirtiness meter

quote:

Many people are having problems with our typical Finnish friends, flies and a mosquito. Flies appear when you are DIRTY. They like the smell of your pants and whatnot. Mosquitos appear because they just want to suck you dry. But don't worry, in Finland you won't get Malaria.

1. If you are dirty, you go to 100 degree SAUNA and bath there and kill everything living thing apart from you. 5-10 minutes with constantly throwing water at the hot stove will do the job. In later updates there will be shower too.

2. After you are done, just use at least one can of typical Finnish deodorant, Mosquito spray.

Enjoy

Re Brake troubles (not from the dev, but this guy seems to know what he is talking about)

quote:

Make sure all 8 Bolts form the Brake lines are secure. Also 1 Bolt for each wheel. The rear ones are a bit hidden. just follow the break lines. I think all Bolts are size 7. Once you found the loose screw, you need to refill the fluid, since you pumped it overboard earlier.

Alternate brake solutions:

quote:

What I did, was get everything else working, and then drive slowly to loppe, to get the mechanic guy to do the brakes

quote:

you need to put 3 bottles of fluid for brakes and clutch, then they work. i was fighting with the same thing!

Brakes are hard.

Also the developer has said that fluid pouring being such a pain in the rear end is on the list to be addressed next patch.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 26, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also the Steam forums for this game are delightful (unlike every other game). Everyone is like, too confused by the game to be mad at it and no one knows if anything is a bug or just their own screwups. Most posts are just like "My gearbox exploded and gears flew out and one clipped through a tree and now car won't run and oil is everywhere where can I get new gears thanks"

(edit) oh my god the sauna heats up so slowly

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 27, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there any way to do body work? My car fell off the jack and I'm pretty sure it dented stuff and I can't get it back right. The sledgehammer didn't help.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There apparently is a body shop in a town.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There apparently is a body shop in a town.

What if I can't figure out how to put steering in my car? :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What if I can't figure out how to put steering in my car? :ohdear:

I thought I figured it out and then I put a tachometer in my dashboard and my entire dashboard exploded, along with the steering wheel and one fender, and collapsed in a quivering heap on my driveway.

I'm gonna drink more and see if that raises my proficiency.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The wonky physics are definitely in the plus column even if they gently caress you. Just trying to put the doors on and the seats in often resulted in one touching the other and James Bond ejector seat'ing out of the car.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm gonna have to start over. The van that I had sort of stuck in the water has now drifted out to the center of the lake, there's not even a way to tow it out. Oh well, at least I figured out how to work the sauna.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm gonna have to start over. The van that I had sort of stuck in the water has now drifted out to the center of the lake, there's not even a way to tow it out. Oh well, at least I figured out how to work the sauna.

Please share, it doesn't seem to get hot. Do you have to wait a really long time? Which way do you turn the thermostat to make it hot?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

My first accident. Oops.

Just taking some old BMW F1 practices and putting it into use..

My bag exploded at the counter. Yes, I carried everything over to the van. Yes, it took ages.

This loving game.

e: The highest extent of my mechanical experience was disassembling the air blower so I could take the wiper assembly out so I could change a dodgy balljoint on my 944. So far I've managed to attach subframe, wishbones, struts, steering rack and arms, steering column.

Is it a good idea to get the suspension and wheels on so I can (I imagine) push it into the garage so I can get underneath it in the pit?

I think my brain is going to fizzle out when I try to rebuild the motor.

Falken fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 27, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Scroll wheel up to turn it on. Make sure you close the door.

Where do I dump this sewage?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pham Nuwen posted:

Please share, it doesn't seem to get hot. Do you have to wait a really long time? Which way do you turn the thermostat to make it hot?

Crank both wheels (thermostat and timer) all the way up, opposite from where they start. Keep the door closed. I'm not 100% sure if you can just turn it on and go do something else or if you need to be in the vicinity since I just sat in it and drank beer. It does take a really long time, especially for it to get going initially -- once it starts to heat up a bit it goes somewhat faster.

Take the bucket and fill it up in the sink. Once you are over 100 degrees or so, pick up the dipper and hit "f" to go into use mode with it. Left click on the bucket to get water, right click on the stove to make steam. If your cleanliness is in the red, it make take awhile to get clean. It took me like three buckets of water and I think it was 1 1/2 or so before I even got out of the red. It's a bit of a production, I may just stay dirty and fly-ridden unless I feel the need to in-game relax.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Falken posted:

My first accident. Oops.

Just taking some old BMW F1 practices and putting it into use..

My bag exploded at the counter. Yes, I carried everything over to the van. Yes, it took ages.

This loving game.

It is both the best and the worst game. It is a very effective "living as a dirtbag" simulator. It feels like all the buginess and disasters should be maddening but they are kind of expected and I just view it with resignation and mild amusement. Is this what being Finnish is like?

Cojawfee posted:

Scroll wheel up to turn it on. Make sure you close the door.

Where do I dump this sewage?

I'm not sure if there is a real answer, but I read somewhere that the lake is an acceptable choice. If maybe a little environmentally inconsiderate.

Time for me to start over. I'm just going to take it slow this time, no rush to build the car, I'll do more odd jobs. I used some guides to help me figure it out last time but I may see if I can remember how to do it on my own now.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 27, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was about to drop my engine in for the first time and something unexpected killed me. :shepicide:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

StarkRavingMad posted:

It feels like all the buginess and disasters should be maddening but they are kind of expected and I just view it with resignation and mild amusement. Is this what being Finnish is like?
Sounds about right.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you chop wood until it's dark and then drink the booze in the woodshed and you think maybe it'd be fun to try and drive home in the dark while drunk, well that's a bad idea

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
These assholes won't pay me for pumping their sewage.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The firewood guy was the same, so I punched him and took his vodka. I can't sell firewood anymore but I showed that cheap bastard. :mad:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Apparently it takes literally several minutes for the sauna heater to get hot enough. I've just been sitting in here occasionally throwing water on it. And yet the game is better for it...

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

my car's decided it wants to overheat and puke coolant all the time, so naturally i've ordered the riciest aftermarket radiator in the world as a first step

it turns out i should have just adjusted my alternator position so the fan belt engaged lmao

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

it turns out i should have just adjusted my alternator position so the fan belt engaged lmao

The game is unrealistic about that part because you don't need to wedge in a long screwdriver to hold the alternator tight enough while you try to tighten a loose nut and bolt with one hand

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

The game is unrealistic about that part because you don't need to wedge in a long screwdriver to hold the alternator tight enough while you try to tighten a loose nut and bolt with one hand

It worries me how often I go "wow, that was much easier than in real life!"

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
More specifically: if you look real carefully, you can see the belt jumping around when it's either too tight or too loose. Either of these things will cause it to come flying off, which will trash your engine if you don't shut it off when you see coolant spraying out. Gotta fiddle with that poo poo until the belt runs steady.

Don't be like me, kids. Check your belt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turns out I was going to the wrong houses. I thought there were just two but each town has more than one. So make sure you really check the map for where they want you to go. Also, put the hose back. Don't be like me where I was flying down a dirt road at 80 clicks and the hose catches a polygon and my truck does two barrel rolls. I had to go find my beer crate because it went flying.

The septic truck is bar none the best vehicle in this game. It hauls rear end and handles great.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Apparently it takes literally several minutes for the sauna heater to get hot enough. I've just been sitting in here occasionally throwing water on it. And yet the game is better for it...

Unrealistic. It should take 40+ minutes.

Also drink beer in sauna all the time

edit: the character has superalcoholic powers, I ran my car over and drank an entire beer case in one go. Then I pissed on myself and punched the windscreen off, after which I started to wander towards home. I quitted before I got anywhere because I though my character would simply pass out but noooo

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile I just got to the shop finally.

The gently caress do I buy. How many snausages is a few weeks worth.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I've found around 2 foods a day works. Also, always eat and then drink, since your thirst goes way up when you do.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

It won't be an authentically Finnish experience if you don't get some of those lovely microwave pitsas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I wound up buying two of each food, then three cases of beer, mosquito spray, the fan belt, and some goods for baking.

But then of course I try to use the sauna. Not sure how to use it, but just then I gotta pee. I pee in the sauna, then this happens.

I just don't get this game sometimes. First I manage to not only beach my boat, but somehow get the motor stuck in the dirt. Then I wind up peeing to death somehow???

• Locked thread