Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

hillo posted:

Watching some group of engineer students try to build a car on twitch, apparently they started at launch and they just now got the car running and moving for the first time. Drove for 30 meters and the steering, brakes and gears stopped working.

I hope that's recorded. Got a link? That sounds hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

hillo posted:

it's in finnish but at 18h 47min mark onward https://www.twitch.tv/tietoteekkarikilta/v/96915153

Thanks to this game I understand that they're just saying variations of "pussy" and "satan."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a beer bottle beneath the pedal?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I did as recommended and went to the store for the first day and bought all the beer, sausages, fluids, fan belt, and bug spray. I threw them in the back of the van and on the way back it hosed UP. I suddenly shot forward and started fishtailing very badly and couldn't figure it out. I ended up losing control and ending up in the ditch next to the road. I look over and see that some yellow van was going WAY fast and slammed into the back of my van causing me to lose control. Also, somehow, he knocked some of the beer crates out so I threw it in park and went to grab them. After picking up the first crate I turned around to my van and saw a car coming down the road quite fast. All I could do was look on in horror as it slammed into the back end of my parked van, popping the door open, throwing a few more crates onto the road, popping open both front doors and emptying all my beer bottles from the van. The next few minutes was spent haphazardly dodging cars on the road while throwing my beer back into the van.

Luckily the loving rear end in a top hat in the yellow van was stuck in the ditch and unable to move. I grabbed my empty bottles and threw them at his van which nicely put in some big ol' dents. I just wish I could have actually punched his van or otherwise.

Regardless, I got home put poo poo up, went to sleep, and then started putting the body parts on the car. At which point I took one look at "the engine" and quit in fear.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was it on?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I halfway hope this adds support for TrackIR. Then again, the Surgeon Simulator aspect of unwieldy controls and mouselook is part of why this is great.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do you pick up a wrench? I keep picking up the case and hitting 'f' while looking at it or holding it doesn't do anything either way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The wonky physics are definitely in the plus column even if they gently caress you. Just trying to put the doors on and the seats in often resulted in one touching the other and James Bond ejector seat'ing out of the car.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Apparently it takes literally several minutes for the sauna heater to get hot enough. I've just been sitting in here occasionally throwing water on it. And yet the game is better for it...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There's also an achievement just for dying sooo....

But I've seen video of people surviving so it SHOULDN'T kill you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've been following a YouTube series step-by-step on building the engine and suspension. He only builds one half of the suspension so I had to work off of recent memory on mirroring the other side. Thing is, everything is in place and bolted in (I hope) but no matter what I do I can't get the second loving half rod in.

I've tried gripping it on both ends and in the center. I've tried placing it both ways you can (flipping it). I've tried placing it both ways while gripping either end and the center from both the outside and inside where the engine would sit. I cannot get that loving checkmark to show up desite placing the part visually where it looks like it goes and seeing if it goes off detecting where your little dot cursor is. I've even tried desperately grabbing the part and doing tight little circles with the mouse while doing larger circles around the screen in hopes of getting a brief glimpse of a checkmark to flash in the center.

WHAT THE gently caress AM I DOING WRONG!?!?

Also his engine and suspension videos have no overdub and just abruptly end. There is no interior video. So here's hoping all these parts left lying around are for the dash and I can figure out building that thing on my own...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
yesIdidthankyou

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can't wait for some time to pass and Steam guides to be written for people like me who literally know nothing but the basics of cars. Last night when putting the suspension together I learned that apparently alignment is adjusted but two little screws where the suspension connects to the wheel.

I was able to build most of the suspension and engine following a couple YouTube videos but when I start the thing up and need to diagnose any problems (like fire) I'd like a guide to utilize.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There is guide on the wiki.

To diagnose problems that occur? All I've seen on it was a brief step-by-step to building the engine.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What's weird and what I love is that these failures in a normal game might be infuriating but here they're just exciting new challenges.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

hillo posted:

It's amazing how many people are bitching about the mosquito noises on steam discussions sayin they won't play if it's like this. I don't understand how you can get so annoyed by it, you get used to it in 5 minutes just like in real life when summer comes

These are not people who go outside.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even its silhouette is hilarious.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not certain if I've tightened every screw, bolt, and nut that needs to be but I do know that the only parts I have left are four hubcaps and an air filter. I know where the hubcaps go, even as a car-idiot. I do not know where to put this air filter...

Also, the car does not yet start but instead makes a high pitched squeaky sound. I have yet to put fluids and gasoline into it so obviously that's the first step. The second step is to throw away the left body panels. Opening the door knocks off the front left panel and closing the door knocks the door itself off. God damnit if I'm not going to be SUPER excited the second this fucker actually turns over and starts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, I only found those two because I was loving around with Q seeing how far I could clip into the car. Although it makes sense since you have to do the same to the front.

Exact same. It makes me wonder how many other bolts I've missed though...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: f;b

Click the very bottom of the jack, the "platform" if you will.

No stand, just build it on the bench and then move it to the hoist. I get the feeling it lets you build it bigger and heavier than you could actually move. I haven't actually tried but I wonder if it'd let you pick up the fully built engine.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The drag strip. Check your map.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Either the patch didn't hit me or it's one of those start-a-new-game patches. I had no ability to sprint (maybe it's unbound by default) and the liquids were next to IMPOSSIBLE to pour. I held the motor oil upside down over the engine and despite the guage showing up and staying on screen it never started filling. The fuel can, on the other hand, couldn't make the meter appear at all for more than a split second no matter how slowly I moved it around. I'd stop the second the meter would appeal and then it'd vanish without filling AT ALL!

And, yes, I had removed all the caps before attempting to fill them. Radiator and brake fluid worked just fine.

What are the other two things to fill up next to the brake fluid?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

Make sure your oil drain plug is tightened down, that got me once.

The other two also take brake fluid. As for the gas, the can is near empty by default; gotta get the thing filled.

Which is under the engine?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The car starts but only for about five seconds. WHAT DO I DO NOW!?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

You need to tune the carburetor.

I do not know how to do this. Google seems to only provide VERY early alpha gameplay with no explanation. I turned a screw and it runs but maybe it's not properly tuned?

And also I cannot move. The engine revs but the car doesn't move. I'm assuming I failed to link up the gearing or half rods so we'll see if that's it.

e: Scratch that, it does not run.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress the loving sewage hose. It's ridiculously difficult to try and get out of the loving wells.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's a functioning vehicle for you to use when your car doesn't work and has hauling beer cases in its design. But with the dominance of how great the sewage truck is you don't really need it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So I can't figure out why my car won't drive. The best I got is that I tightened the half rod bolts that go to the engine BEFORE setting the engine. Now, since then I've untightened and retightened them MULTIPLE TIMES but no matter what it still doesn't drive at all. There's also the possibility I didn't hook up the gear shift quite right but I'm not certain where to check that part of it.

Maddening and yet this is part of the entertainment.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 30, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

El Perkele posted:

:words: about music

OP PLEASE

So I restarted the game completely. Multiple times before getting frustrated and playing without permadeath. I built everything back up, got the engine in, and this time noticed the aforementioned clutch screws. So I screwed everything in and now it runs and moves. However, I now have the problem MANY people in here have where the brakes don't work. Except I thought I screwed every small nut on every line I could find in, so I'm not certain where to fix this. I double-checked last night but it was 5AM (I started playing at midnight without loving realizing how much time went by) so I may have been too tired to do it right.

gently caress the physics. I'm all in favor of physics fuckery but trying to push the car into the garage to put it over the bay bashed the poo poo out of the car, jerked the car randomly and put a set of tires into the bay, and cost me roughly thirty minutes of trying to push and tow it out of the bay without any luck and causing even more damage to the chassis. It's so beat up that all the components are either halfway or completely through the frame.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can you just pump with the valve open?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

El Perkele posted:

Naw. It would be biologically precise, because that's what this game is like. Listen to birds. Not only are all bird species singing in the game correct, but they have correct activity patterns (redwings at dusk/dawn, cuckoo at night, diver at evening, chaffinch at late morning, tree pipit during noon etc.)

It's perhaps the most accurate environmental soundscape I have encountered :wtc:

Wait, is this for real or just some brilliantly crafted hyperbolic time chamber joke?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

JointHorse posted:

Not true! When closing the door(or the boot/hood), CLICK AND HOLD the mouse button to close it in one go! The same thing works in reverse, so you have a chance of escaping from your rolled vehicle while you keep the door open.

Wait, people don't know about clickandhold? How the gently caress did you guys open the back of the van?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To be fair, as an American, this is new knowledge to me too. This game is actually a cleverly disguised educational product...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If that's the case why doesn't it work half the time? :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Restarted again. It think I found my source of the brakes problem I had last go around.

I don't think I actually attached either the clutch or brake pedals to their master cylinders... :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tinking noise, fluid spraying up, and a piston shot out. Timing issue?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The ticking noise is because the valves are at the wrong height. Get the screwdriver and scroll down on each screw about 20 times and then up 7 times. Then the valves should be at the correct height. Fluid spraying up is usually from the exhaust not being installed. If a piston shot out, you might have over revved it or something wasn't bolted up right.

I did scroll them down but I'll redo it. I think I went 14 instead of 7 so that's it.

It is fluid because A) The exhaust IS installed properly and B) It's not the gray smoke sprite, it's some lighter gray/white splash lookin' sprite. Maybe actual Sprite like a product placement thing.

Possibly, I'm keyboard driving so it's all or nothing. Any suggestions aside from 'use your controller?'

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
RIP Green Menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jalopy actually came out before this. It's also about a cross-European road trip in a hosed up eastbloc car.

• Locked thread