Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SealHammer posted:

holy gently caress its finally coming out

ive never been so hyped to virtually drink beer while virtually rolling over in a virtual car

it is about raealism

It is not about masturabations

I am very hyped for this game even though I can already tell I will have no idea what I am doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So, as expected, I'm having to come to grips with the fact that I do not know how to build a car from scratch. Guess I'll have to watch some youtubes.

Also, I rolled the van over on its side and basically entombed myself because I couldn't get the door facing upward to stay open for long enough to be able to jump out. Good thing I brought the beer case.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harminoff posted:

I tried to shift gears, accidently punched out front window instead.

GOTY

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I played for a bit and I'm having fun. Question 1: Can I turn off that stupid fly sound? It's giving me a headache. Unless there's a way to kill it, I need to get rid of that sound.

My main issue is just trying to get things lined up enough to get them installed. That and figuring out what order it wants me to attach things. I don't know how to get any of the suspension bits to attach to each other or the car. How do I get the engine on the engine hoist? i found a spot where it seems like one bolt would go but I can't find the other nor can I figure out how to attach them. This is fun so far.

One thing I've noticed is when you have things in the spot where they are meant to attach, at least on the car, the dot turns into a checkmark! I really wish there was a button to highlight all bolts (not just when you mouse over them), because I'm making some progress but I also feel like I might be leaving stuff unscrewed in which is probably bad.

MY SUMMER CAR ATTEMPT ONE:

Some progress after day 1! I basically got the suspension on the drat thing. The engine will be a whole other matter.

But I need to find food. I ate my only sausages. I read that I can take the boat for a shortcut. I guess I'll head toward that radio tower thing? Turns out there was nothing by the radio tower thing. I hooked a left and followed the shoreline.

A dock! This must be it, I'm saved!

I think that means store!

Delicious bag of groceries.

Now if I can just get home before I starve to death. God help me indeed.

I've grounded the boat. It won't move.

After awhile I managed to ram the boat off the shore by leaping at it, but now I can't get in it. Every attempt just results in me clipping through it.

I've completely screwed this. I'll just have a picnic on the shore, I guess.

gently caress you, horrible boat.

MY SUMMER CAR DAY ONE RESULT: UTTER FAILURE

I'm having fun, though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I didn't realize how big the land mass is in this game until I decided to take the van instead of the boat to the store. That ate up a whole day. At least I have enough sausages and beer to last me probably a few in game weeks. It's definitely a smart move to do that first before you spend any serious time putting the car together.

I probably should also figure out how the whole woodchopping thing works before I run out of money.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ZearothK posted:

This game is art. gently caress you Roger Ebert.

My car building skills are still poo poo, but I managed to deliver a load of firewood! Now I probably won't starve to death for lack of money.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you look at the map on the wall above the telephone, it'll have a dart in the map where your last call came from. Except for the rear end in a top hat who calls you in the middle of the night to get picked up from the pub, because they expect to you know where that is already.

I suspect it's always going to be the same guy for wood, if so, take the road out from your place. When you get to the first T junction, hook a left. It'll be the second house you get to, NOT the first one that has a guy sitting drunk on a tree stump. There will be that idiot I snapped a picture of standing out front and waving his arm like "back it in here." Get out of your tractor, open the tailgate, get back in, put the parking brake on, engage your rear hydraulics and hit the gas pedal. If you're in the right place and you did everything right, you should see the firewood dump into a big mound.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Do I have to chop a bunch of firewood and throw it in the trailer? I noticed there was a texture of wood in there but I don't know how much I need to do.

Yeah that's what did. It looked like every time I added a piece of wood to the trailer, the texture rose up. I didn't know how much I needed to do either, so I just did it until I got bored and then hauled it. Maybe you get more money the more wood you bring?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
OKAY, engine's all built, let's just get that sucker up on the hoist and drop her in and....wait, what's that on the ground over there

...gently caress.

SEVERAL HOURS LATER

After disassembling and reassembling half the engine, it's finally in there. Probably with a bunch of bolts not tightened. I have to stop for now, but next time I play, I can boat to the store, get the necessary fluids, and see if it runs!

PROTIP: you can unplug the phone if you're sick of people calling you at all hours of the day and night to deliver wood and pump their septic tanks. I have money, I have sausages, I have beer, I'm good on running errands for now, thanks.

Also, holy poo poo are some things super-magic-pixelly and fiddly to get attached. It took forever to get the engine into position with the hoist, and I swear the loving radiator hoses took me longer than any other single part.

Shab posted:

On the passenger side (US-centric) there's a gas cap you need to screw off with the mousewheel. Unscrew, take the cap off the diesel can, and put it near the cap you just took off. A green bar should appear indicating how much fuel is in the tractor.

It can be tricky when they want you to mouse-wheel screw and unscrew things without a wrench equipped. There's a couple of engine parts that do it that and it messed me right up. And I bet there's some linkages I missed because of that. I guess I'll know for sure when the engine starts blowing fluids everywhere when I try to start it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It ran! I mean, it ran like poo poo, but it ran. For a pretty decent distance, almost halfway down the dirt road from my house. Then this happened.

Something also flew out of the engine block and way far away. I think I missed a couple screws somewhere. The brakes also didn't seem to work. Which makes sense considering the whole front left axle apparently wasn't attached anyway.

There also was an "incident" with the van.

Oh and I grounded the boat again. It was a hard day. I'm deciding whether to try and fix all this or just start over with my greater knowledge and see if I can screw things up less.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

The brake pedal works before the engine turns on. Once I turn the engine on, it stops working until I turn the engine off, exit driving mode and then reenter driving mode. Then once I turn the car on again, the brakes stop working. I don't know, maybe I'll have to just start a new game.

Edit: Also, don't save and reload at the store after buying lots of stuff. Unless you really love individually dragging in sausages from the van. That shopping bag goes away and all the stuff you bought appears when you reload.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your brakes? My car had the same problem, before I ran into the more pressing issue of half my chassis falling off. I'd like fix that while I have it up to fix the chassis, if I can. Brakes seem like an occasionally-useful thing to have. I do have all the fluids in. (As an aside, he REALLY needs to make it less fiddly to fill the fluid reservoirs.)

Also, question for everyone, am I supposed to be able to tighten the air filter on there or does it just snap on? I tried every spanner and also just mousewheeling but either it doesn't need to be screwed on or I'm missing the magic pixel where I need to point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You don't even have to save and exit. Just unscrew and screw in the bolts somewhere near the engine and it'll snap to. I did it on the fly a couple times when I screwed up my hoist placement while trying to drop it in.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

There is now a dirtiness meter. No idea how to lower it.

Full patch notes:
-Made fluid UI's show the full state for one second
-Fixed Tractor jerky parking brake
-Added 'Dirtiness' meter to show when you should go to Sauna to get rid of the FLIES
-Fixed leaking Oil drain plug issue after engine repair job at Fleetari repair shop
-Fixed exploit where Logs could be split by hands
-Possible fix for vehicle collision issues, but can't be confirmed as I can't reproduce the original issue
-Added driving lights to Tractor
-Added towing hooks to Truck
-Removed console commands as those are not meant to be used by players and can cause serious issues
-"Song import" is disabled by default

Re: the dirtiness meter

quote:

Many people are having problems with our typical Finnish friends, flies and a mosquito. Flies appear when you are DIRTY. They like the smell of your pants and whatnot. Mosquitos appear because they just want to suck you dry. But don't worry, in Finland you won't get Malaria.

1. If you are dirty, you go to 100 degree SAUNA and bath there and kill everything living thing apart from you. 5-10 minutes with constantly throwing water at the hot stove will do the job. In later updates there will be shower too.

2. After you are done, just use at least one can of typical Finnish deodorant, Mosquito spray.

Enjoy

Re Brake troubles (not from the dev, but this guy seems to know what he is talking about)

quote:

Make sure all 8 Bolts form the Brake lines are secure. Also 1 Bolt for each wheel. The rear ones are a bit hidden. just follow the break lines. I think all Bolts are size 7. Once you found the loose screw, you need to refill the fluid, since you pumped it overboard earlier.

Alternate brake solutions:

quote:

What I did, was get everything else working, and then drive slowly to loppe, to get the mechanic guy to do the brakes

quote:

you need to put 3 bottles of fluid for brakes and clutch, then they work. i was fighting with the same thing!

Brakes are hard.

Also the developer has said that fluid pouring being such a pain in the rear end is on the list to be addressed next patch.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 26, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also the Steam forums for this game are delightful (unlike every other game). Everyone is like, too confused by the game to be mad at it and no one knows if anything is a bug or just their own screwups. Most posts are just like "My gearbox exploded and gears flew out and one clipped through a tree and now car won't run and oil is everywhere where can I get new gears thanks"

(edit) oh my god the sauna heats up so slowly

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 27, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm gonna have to start over. The van that I had sort of stuck in the water has now drifted out to the center of the lake, there's not even a way to tow it out. Oh well, at least I figured out how to work the sauna.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pham Nuwen posted:

Please share, it doesn't seem to get hot. Do you have to wait a really long time? Which way do you turn the thermostat to make it hot?

Crank both wheels (thermostat and timer) all the way up, opposite from where they start. Keep the door closed. I'm not 100% sure if you can just turn it on and go do something else or if you need to be in the vicinity since I just sat in it and drank beer. It does take a really long time, especially for it to get going initially -- once it starts to heat up a bit it goes somewhat faster.

Take the bucket and fill it up in the sink. Once you are over 100 degrees or so, pick up the dipper and hit "f" to go into use mode with it. Left click on the bucket to get water, right click on the stove to make steam. If your cleanliness is in the red, it make take awhile to get clean. It took me like three buckets of water and I think it was 1 1/2 or so before I even got out of the red. It's a bit of a production, I may just stay dirty and fly-ridden unless I feel the need to in-game relax.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Falken posted:

My first accident. Oops.

Just taking some old BMW F1 practices and putting it into use..

My bag exploded at the counter. Yes, I carried everything over to the van. Yes, it took ages.

This loving game.

It is both the best and the worst game. It is a very effective "living as a dirtbag" simulator. It feels like all the buginess and disasters should be maddening but they are kind of expected and I just view it with resignation and mild amusement. Is this what being Finnish is like?

Cojawfee posted:

Scroll wheel up to turn it on. Make sure you close the door.

Where do I dump this sewage?

I'm not sure if there is a real answer, but I read somewhere that the lake is an acceptable choice. If maybe a little environmentally inconsiderate.

Time for me to start over. I'm just going to take it slow this time, no rush to build the car, I'll do more odd jobs. I used some guides to help me figure it out last time but I may see if I can remember how to do it on my own now.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 27, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you chop wood until it's dark and then drink the booze in the woodshed and you think maybe it'd be fun to try and drive home in the dark while drunk, well that's a bad idea

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I managed to get my car to start, however briefly, which felt pretty sweet. Any tricks to getting fluids in? It's even worse than some of the small bolts or parts.

Also I'm with whoever mentioned it's super hard to gauge if you need a smaller or larger tool. It's easy in real life, but throw on some oldish graphics, very similar sizes, random distances at which you're seeing the bolt, and a 2D screen and sometimes I go through half my toolbox before I find the right one. Would be cool if hovering the wrong tool over a bolt showed like an up or down arrow.

E: Also, pretty proud of myself! I only looked up how exactly to mount the engine (the bolts appearing is super hard to notice!) and a bit about the steering/front suspension. For whatever reason you can't mount the steering ... middle part on the sub frame until you put the struts on, which is weird because they don't connect at all until you attach the next bit.

No trick to the fluids, they're an enormous pain in the rear end. It took me forever. The developer said he plans to fix that in the next patch. I had a hell of a time with the radiator hoses, too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hillo posted:

I got the satsuma built. Ran like poo poo and brakes didn't work and alignment was waaay off. Took it to the mechanic because couldn't figure the brake problem out and got alignment, engine adjustment and tune at the same time.

Couple days later I pick it up and it runs and handles like a dream, no problem doing 130km/h on the freeway with 5 cases of beer in the trunk.

...and then piston #4 shoots out when I'm half a kilometer from home.

poo poo, is that piston actually BENT?

I do like how most stories about this game end with a screenshot of the player flipping something off.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not certain if I've tightened every screw, bolt, and nut that needs to be but I do know that the only parts I have left are four hubcaps and an air filter. I know where the hubcaps go, even as a car-idiot. I do not know where to put this air filter...

Also, the car does not yet start but instead makes a high pitched squeaky sound. I have yet to put fluids and gasoline into it so obviously that's the first step. The second step is to throw away the left body panels. Opening the door knocks off the front left panel and closing the door knocks the door itself off. God damnit if I'm not going to be SUPER excited the second this fucker actually turns over and starts.

Air filter just goes right on top of the engine, it kinda snaps on, you don't even have to screw it in place (I think).

PROTIPS I learned today as I rebuilt my car for the third time:
  • make liberal use of the "q" key (labeled as "reach" in the settings), it lets you lean way in, and you can clip your head through stuff, great for looking for difficult screws.
  • There's also a "zoom" key that is not bound to anything by default, bind it, it is also helpful
  • The sauna WILL heat up while you work on the car, so when you're like 20 minutes real-time away from being done with the car, go start the sauna heating and you can have a nice clean-off when you are done
  • I did my first sewage pump job and that's real good money for a pretty easy trip - I got like 1000 zenny for half a day's work
  • If you want to see under the car (useful for hooking up all those lines), and you really trust the physics in this game -- and why wouldn't you? -- you CAN put the car up on a lift:

Of course, if that flips out, it's probably gonna launch my car into space

I just got it totally rebuilt again, and started it up and did a little lap around the barn area, and it actually seems to be running pretty well! Aside from having no brakes again. Tomorrow I'll see if I can actually make it all the way to the mechanic without the drat thing exploding.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

I love how you can save up a bunch of fatigue to sleep until the next morning and then it wakes you up at 2am for the loving drunk guy. Now I have no fatigue so I can't sleep and nothing to do.

Also I'm pretty sure the extra gauges break the windscreen.

Always unplug the phone at night. gently caress that guy. One spring of cocks to him.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: f;b

Click the very bottom of the jack, the "platform" if you will.

No stand, just build it on the bench and then move it to the hoist. I get the feeling it lets you build it bigger and heavier than you could actually move. I haven't actually tried but I wonder if it'd let you pick up the fully built engine.

You can totally pick up the fully built engine, but I don't think it'll attach to the car without being on the hoist first.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

It's not bad and you can easily push the car if it slides on the lift.

The septic truck is truly the best vehicle. You can't die in it. It's just like Finland in dirt rally. Put the front wheel into the ditch on the side of the road and it digs in and carries you around the corner.

I did manage to get the septic truck stuck in a ditch once (it was like, balanced on its front fender and the rear support with only one wheel touching anything), but the muscle car was close by and able to tow it out.

I'm blowing coolant out the hood and I'm not sure why. Are you supposed to tighten the radiator hoses somewhere? I can't find anything else that's loose.

(edit): oh Satan, it's not coolant, I'm an idiot. I forgot to attach the exhaust pipe

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 28, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

That's awesome

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
PROTIP: having your exhaust pipe installed actually make a big difference in how the car runs and whether it will overheat! Who would have thought?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Pick up the very end of the hose, drag it over to the tray on the right side. When it says "put away hose" left click. Don't drive really fast with the hose dragging. I did that and it caught on some random polygon and sent my truck flying. I was perfectly fine of course because you can't die in that beast of a machine. God drat I love that truck. I'm still waiting on a new windscreen on my Satsuma and I'm worried I won't like driving it as much as the septic truck.

The only problems with the truck is that it eats a lot of gas and is real expensive to fill up. And it has a weird tendency to slide if you park it on any non-road with the slightest incline. I've gone back to using the van when I'm shopping or whatever. Like you I'm waiting on my car to get out of the shop. I also have homeboy's muscle car but that thing really likes to spin out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Quite A Tool posted:

Had my diesel can clip through the ground at the gas station. Is there anywhere else on the map to get one or am I stuck driving the tractor to the store every time I need to fill it up?

I read on the Steam forums that items that clip out of the world reappear at the airfield. I have no idea where the airfield might be or if it even actually exists.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Okay, maybe check there for the missing diesel can. I haven't really noticed that spot before since I usually just circle right close to the lake to go to the store.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JB50 posted:

You get 1200 for every septic job. Thats enough to fill the truck up twice I think. Plus you can do about 3 septic jobs a day if you wait for the calls to come in.

The sliding thing has got me stuck a time or two. You can use the hose and drag it under the wheels to move the truck around if you get stuck.

Filling it from like dead empty ran over 1000 I think. I mean DEAD empty, as in I ran out of diesel within sight of the gas station and had to go fill a diesel can (good thing I brought it) so I could get enough gas in the tank to make it to the pumps. You probably should not run that close to empty. But yeah, sewage jobs make great money, but I've personally decided against just using the sewage truck for everything else because I gotta save up for more riced up parts and car repairs to my baby. And I'm good enough not to crash the van :smug: (I'm sure I will now roll it and die within the hour)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Every drat time I start lowering the engine into the bay, the loving thing falls off the hoist. Do I need to have the car jacked up to put the engine in?

No, but if it bounces off something in the engine bay too much, it'll fall off. Make sure you don't have anything in the way, like you didn't put the radiator hoses on first or something -- that hosed me over the first time I tried

Harminoff posted:

Awesome update today!

I love the fast and furious updates to this 2016 GOTY. Now that player spawns at home I kind of wish I wasn't in permadeath mode. AND A RUN BUTTON

Also I bet this: Fixed issue with front wheel brake nuts not saving their state correctly -- was everyone's brake problem!

(edit):

quote:

pissing into my own mouth and quenching my thirst
holy poo poo

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 29, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

You can drink water out of the shower faucet. you can also buy milk at the store. Don't stay under the faucet too long, it fills up your bladder and you can die.

You also can drink from the kitchen sink tap if you use the lean in key.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

This new hose detachment thing hosed me. Whenever I finish pumping sewage, I drive the truck forward to pull the hose out. It's faster than pulling it up by hand and actually works since the hose just falls back in before I can grab the next segment. I did it this time and the hose pulled off the truck and fell into the septic tank.

Yeah it sucks. If you save and continue it'll respawn but that sucks if you're doing multiple jobs.

PopeOnARope posted:

So uh, how does one use the jerrycans? And where did you get the flashlight.

Also, in my first ten minutes I rolled the loving van down a slope.

For the jerrycans, crouch down until your hand is over the jerrycan lid and hit F to open it, then pick it up and use the mouse wheel to tip it until you see gas pouring out. If you get it close enough to a gas tank opening it should start filling. Make sure you took the gas cap off the vehicle with mouse wheel too.

Flashlight is in the garage. I think it's on the floor somewhere or maybe the workbench.

The game accurately replicated my teenage years

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh geez. If you've been waiting a long time for your car to get out of the shop and haven't gotten a call, just go check to see if it's ready. I've been waiting like a week and a half for my car and finally just drove over there and it was done, but I never got a call. I believe if the list of stuff you can buy is back on the counter than your car is finished. My car definitely has what I took it to the shop for (working brakes, and tire alignment).

This may be a function of the last patch that changed repair times -- I sent it in for repair before the patch.

Need to have a little body work fixed still, and I think the tuning is still a little off somewhere, but it actually runs and doesn't overheat and it has brakes! And I installed my ghetto spoiler and back window grill and subwoofers to make it a true dirtbag-mobile.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 29, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Perkele posted:

Perkele tell me vitun immediately how to empty the perkeleen flatbed saatana because last time I just failed so perkeleesti

Go to the back of the flatbed and open the gate. Get back in the tractor, and put on your handbrake, then pull the rear hydraulics lever. When you accelerate, instead of going forward, it should raise the flatbed up. If you're in the spot where you deliver the wood, you should pretty quickly see it make a mound on the ground. Then the guy standing out front should say something and if you go over to him he'll have money in his hand for you to take.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Either the patch didn't hit me or it's one of those start-a-new-game patches. I had no ability to sprint (maybe it's unbound by default) and the liquids were next to IMPOSSIBLE to pour. I held the motor oil upside down over the engine and despite the guage showing up and staying on screen it never started filling. The fuel can, on the other hand, couldn't make the meter appear at all for more than a split second no matter how slowly I moved it around. I'd stop the second the meter would appeal and then it'd vanish without filling AT ALL!

And, yes, I had removed all the caps before attempting to fill them. Radiator and brake fluid worked just fine.

What are the other two things to fill up next to the brake fluid?

The other two things are clutch and steering, I think. They all just take the same fluid. You'll need one bottle for each of them.

Filling liquids is still real fiddly, yeah.

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, sprint is unbound by default. The fuel fill up doesn't appear instantly and it's really hard to tell if you're getting it right. I haven't gotten to the other fluids yet.

Another bug? Or is something wrong? My tractor has 3/4 of a tank (in fact I haven't used it before) but it stalls out and the gauge goes to zero like there's no fuel. Is it broken, am I doing something wrong, or bug?

I've never run into that. Are you holding down the ignition until it catches? Do you maybe have it in a high gear while you are trying to start it or something?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RillAkBea posted:

I have a decent amount of money and my parts are waiting at the store but my van is at the side of the highway where the cops pushed me off the road killing me, my sewage truck is in a ditch, my tractor bugged out and flipped upside down trying to get the sewage truck out and I didn't manage to get even enough gas into the summer car to get it out of the driveway.

Grab your gas can, walk down to the dock and take the boat across to town! Then you can get enough gas in your summer car to go somewhere...and maybe you can use it to tow your van out?

Assuming the boat doesn't bug out on you. Which it does pretty often.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

You need to buy a fuel air gauge and then adjust the carb until you get the right reading.

Or if you can actually get it to run well enough to get it to the shop, you can pay the guy to do it for you. But since this is a game about tinkering with cars, it's more fun to figure out how to do it yourself. If the problem is just getting it to run/idle in the first instance well enough to mess with it at all, you can also try messing with the choke (on the dashboard) a little, I had luck running with a richer mixture when my engine was struggling initially.

I got in the truck and closed the door while I was still hanging half out of it and it shot me up into the stratosphere

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 29, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RillAkBea posted:

The gas can fell out of the boat. :negative:

The boat really loves to gently vibrate things out of it. I usually only bring one thing at a time so I can actually keep it in my hand while driving because I don't want to lose anything in the middle of that satan lake. It may be time for you to start over.

OhsH posted:

Pretty hosed up, got it back home.

did some jobs, made some money, put the body work back on, it's lookin' great again. And as far as I can tell nothing got hosed up in the crash besides having to pick up the exhaust. And the bodywork.

Nice recovery!

So I lost one of my headlights awhile ago, didn't even know where. I checked the airfield and the loading dock to see if it might have respawned somewhere, but no. I had resigned myself to just having one headlight forever when, while driving home late at night in the sewage truck with my high beams on, I saw something shining off in the trees. Could it be? I parked and went to go check, and sure enough, my missing headlight was off in the woods next to the dirt path headed back to the house. The object permanence in this game is pretty impressive sometimes, I lost that thing like three weeks ago in game time.

Also, while doing a job in the early morning, I saw an animal running around near the treeline! Looked like it could have been a moose or something. I didn't know animals were even in the game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Falken posted:

Also, I had the order form for my fuel/air gauge on the center console bit of the septic truck. It hosed off at some point. :(

I had this happen and so I went home and made a new envelope and posted in. Now the bill came in and it's way too high and I think it may have ordered everything twice (I don't have enough money to actually pay for it, so I haven't been able to check yet). I think when the septic truck jumped it may have somehow launched the envelope into the mailbox and I ordered all my racing parts twice :smith:

Thank god for the sewage truck parking brake fix and strengthening the crap hose.

Giant Bomb did a quick look: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-my-summer-car-10272016/2300-11671/ - I was worried that they wouldn't do enough research first to understand the controls, but I think they did exactly the right amount. Aside from not noticing that punching everything was dehydrating them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

OP PLEASE

So I restarted the game completely. Multiple times before getting frustrated and playing without permadeath. I built everything back up, got the engine in, and this time noticed the aforementioned clutch screws. So I screwed everything in and now it runs and moves. However, I now have the problem MANY people in here have where the brakes don't work. Except I thought I screwed every small nut on every line I could find in, so I'm not certain where to fix this. I double-checked last night but it was 5AM (I started playing at midnight without loving realizing how much time went by) so I may have been too tired to do it right.

gently caress the physics. I'm all in favor of physics fuckery but trying to push the car into the garage to put it over the bay bashed the poo poo out of the car, jerked the car randomly and put a set of tires into the bay, and cost me roughly thirty minutes of trying to push and tow it out of the bay without any luck and causing even more damage to the chassis. It's so beat up that all the components are either halfway or completely through the frame.

For the brakes, if they don't work right after the first time and you can't find whatever hookup is wrong, I'd suggest just taking it to the mechanic in town. It's easy enough to drive it there slowly with no brakes rather than driving yourself insane trying to find which of the thousand brake line connectors you missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If I've got the digital gauge and I'm looking to tune the carb, what number am I shooting for?

• Locked thread