Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My Christmas copies of the Bus books just arrived! The cartoonist, Paul Kirchner, sells them on ebay, and will sign and ship 'em anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

All of her comics are great.

I'm helping out on an anthology called Wayward Sisters, and she has a new story in there that is just incredibly adorable.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

iguanamouth is really, really good at this whole comics thing.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

If you've been following her work on Twitter, the Beaton family is having a really hard time. Kate has been posting comics about her life with her sister Becky, who is not doing well.

They're collected at https://www.flickr.com/photos/154685153@N06/sets/72157690029812265 , and the medical crowfunder is up at https://www.youcaring.com/beckybeaton-1008390 .

Squidster has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jan 8, 2018

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think it's important that people understand this isn't just a throwaway gag. This is REAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-pXKoPpppI

quote:

Umamusume: Pretty Derby
In a world very much like our own, great race horses of the past have a chance to be reborn as “horse girls” – girls with the ears and tails of horses as well as their speed and endurance. The best of these horse girls go to train at Tokyo's Tracen Academy, hopefully moving on to fame and fortune as both racers and idols. Special Week, a high school horse girl from the countryside, has just transferred to Tracen, and she's determined to fulfill her promise to her mother to become the best horse girl in Japan. On her way to school, she takes a pit stop at the race track and instantly falls in love with Silence Suzuka's style, becoming determined to race on the same team as her. At first it doesn't look easy – she's beaten in the try-outs by El Condor Pasa, and the other girls at school clearly think she's weird. But you can never underestimate second chances, and before long Special Week finds herself on Team Spica getting ready to prove herself as a horse girl worth her salt.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I want to further clarify that these are not, you know, fictional horses. These are real-world racehorses being licensed to the show.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Loucks posted:

Linking to huge imgur albums of artists’ work isn’t fair use, and you are an rear end in a top hat for doing it.

Instead people should buy Kirchner’s work directly from him on Amazon. He sells as pkirchner_45. It’s cheap and good and he even signed my copy.
He also sells his books on eBay, where I got my copies. His comics are great, and folks should support him.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Man, that's a trip to the past right there. Helms made some preview minicomics of Fearless Griggs, I ordered one, and the postal service ate it. I'm still mad.

I vaguely remember that Griggs was done through Tokyopop, and their complete fuckery made a mess of the rights.

While some of Andy's jokes, uh, didn't exactly age well, there's enormous energy and enthusiasm in his work. You can tell exactly how much fun he had making those comics, and you couldn't help but want to make your own. I think I drew my first comic because of Atomic Toy.

I feel like Atomic Robo aped a lot of his style, and it's always been a bit frustrating that Brian Clevinger made it big in the comics sphere and Andy didn't. I used to post on the the Atomic Toy forums, before all the constant drama sunk things. I always wondered what happened to Nathan. He was clearly incredibly talented, and incredibly unhappy. I hope he found what he was looking for.

Lastly, a moment's silence for the tragically truncated Oh My Fantasy Epic, killed after only a dozen pages.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Three typos/misused words over four frames? It deserved to die. :colbert:
All part of the charm! Like Kate Beaton, his work had a sketchy first-draft feel. Punctuation, spelling, and grammar were all chaff in the furnace of dick jokes. This was early in the internet era, when the webcomic competition was pretty much just Penny Arcade, Megatokyo, and Sluggy Freelance.

Krankenstyle posted:

Apparently the dad had accidentally cut the ISDN cable while trimming hedges or something, so there were a lot of jokes where the punchline was him showing up with bolt cutters or something. Also for some reason wearing a paper bag over his head.
poo poo, I'd forgotten Craig's dad entirely! I can picture the design vividly.

I think what killed the forums was the inevitable 4chan-ization of any unmoderated community. Andy's work was often intentionally a little rough n' lovely, and he'd often rip on his friends. They all knew each other and fun bantering, but the forums just thought it was hilarious to hate Andy's friends, and were toxic as gently caress. Your basic edgelord teen poo poo. Of course, my memory is fuzzy, so I could have drawn the wrong conclusions.

I just want to remind everyone that the webcomics scene in the 2000s was loving dire.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

I lurked for forums a lot but I barely remember anything but the comics. I may have posted some stuff I made once or twice but probably didn't feel welcome, heh.

Let's see, I have these comics saved:
- Buttlord vs Mr. Huge (the first one they did, I'm missing 2 pages though)
- Buttlord GT
- Buttlord GT: Heavy Hittaz
- Buttlord Kids
- Oh My Fantasy Epic!
- Second Nature: 01 The Sick Child (missing 2 pages)
- Second Nature: 02 The Giant
- Shanghai Jinx
- Slut Patrol (warhammer 40k)
- Stinky Kick (missing 3 pages)
- The Contemporary Legend of Rose Marie
:justpost: 'em to Imgur! I don't think I even remember half of those.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Does anyone have any of the Mass Effect comics from around when 2 came out? Some were MS paint-ish, some were much better hand drawn. Anything you got would be good.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

• 2009 Doug Wright Award for Best Emerging Talent
  • 2011 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2011 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Online Comic
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2012 Harvey Award Special Award for Humor in Comics
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Cartoonist
  • 2016 Eisner Award for Best Humor Publication

cock hero flux posted:

moderately entertaining cartoonist

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Sometimes it's okay to... not poo poo on people just trying to live? Just a suggestion

Fister Roboto posted:

Like seriously, it's pretty loving pathetic that the comic says "I'm autistic, here's a way to think about autism" and y'all are all "LOL he's so autistic!" The height of comedy here :bravo:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Scathach posted:

Are there more? This is delightful

These comics are from Iguanamouth - they're really talented!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Another from Iguanamouth.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Rolo posted:

I don’t get this in the slightest.
The rest of the comic is in the Twitter thread.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

vyelkin posted:

The Bus belongs in this thread because it is my favourite comic.
The Bus is great. The creator, Paul Kirchner, still sells signed copies of the hardcovers books from his ebay store.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

My heart belongs to this one.

I got both books direct from the the creator on ebay; they're worth the money!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

A short lil' monster comic from Iguanamouth.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

An image that kept springing to mind when thinking how I was going to answer Boba Pearl's question, was the comic Necropolis. (One of those comics that's stopped updating for years and revived briefly several times, which may come back some day but will probably never finish. But possibly my favorite comic in that category.)

I don't actually think it's a perfect example of anything we're talking about, but I'm suddenly considering posting it here from the beginning.
Please do! It is an excellent comic. Somebody give Jake Wyatt infinity dollars so he can make more Necropolis.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

How's the thread feel about short one-shots? This is Mermaid Sanctuary, from Delicious in Dungeon's Kui Ryoko. ( read right to left )

1-9 of 42

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

More of Kui Ryoko's Mermaid Sanctuary, 10-19 of 42.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Mermaid Sanctuary, 20-29 of 42.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The werewolf is fantastic! I also adored My Own Little God, the Imutami family, the Dragon Steeple; all of em. That whole book is nonstop bangers.

I was thinking I would post a couple sampler oneshots from a few different creators, and encourage everyone to go buy anything+everything from those folks. I can feel Captain Invictus loading up Hotel to post already.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Mermaid Sanctuary, 29-42 of 42.

I hoped you enjoyed this little short!

Next up I was thinking of Mizukami's Too Late for Fantasy, Nagabe's Those Without Eyes, or maybe Nakamura Yuuhi's Too Big To Realize.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Nagabe's Invisible People, 1-11 of 56:

Nagabe is best known for Girl from the Other Side, which everyone should be reading.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Mx. posted:

thank u i now spend my entire night reading this and crying
There's a gentle melancholy to it I really enjoy, and my god, the inkwork.

They made an experimental short film for it, and I believe there's a more traditional anime coming out next year.
https://vimeo.com/361048764

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 1-11 of 56:
Nagabe's Invisible People, 12-25 of 56:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 12-25 of 56:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 26-35 of 56:

Surely only good things await our hero!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 26-35 of 56:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 36-42 of 56:

Calaveron wins the gamble! ( Nagabe loves scary gentle things )

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 36-42 of 56:

Nagabe's Invisible People, 43-56 of 56:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Time for some Mizukami Satoshi!
This is "Too Late For Fantasy," one of his dozens of oneshots.

Mizukami's Too Late For Fantasy 1-12 of 23.

x

Mizukami's best known for Spirit Circle and Lucifer & The Biscuit Hammer, both of which are peak shonen fun. His work is terribly sincere, full of brash emotional declarations and troubled kids trying their best to outrun their self-destructive instincts. Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer also has an anime coming out soon!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

Mizukami's Too Late For Fantasy 1-12 of 23.
Mizukami's Too Late For Fantasy 13-23 of 23.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Come now, if even Achewood is allowed to be posted here, surely anything is welcome.

I've heard good things about Stay Still, so I'm curious to see where it goes!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

A short one today! This is Too Big To Realize, from Nakamura Yuuhi's Shuukan Shounen Girl.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

...and that, sadly, is the last page of Necropolis posted so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Jake Wyatt hits a phase of his career someday where he spends some more time working on personal projects like this, but even then it might not be enough to finish the comic. But I'm glad to have read what exists, it's beautiful art and a cool world.
Necropolis. :sadwave:

Are you going to post the short comics with her as the Third Sword?

Another short one today: this is Kui Ryoko's Love Catalogue, from her anthology Terrarium In Drawer. This anthology was her first published work, a good three years ahead of Delicious Dungeon. She came out the gate strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This is Immortal Constraints, from Dowman Sayman 's anthology Nickolodeon. I find Dowman to be a fascinatingly weird artist; he's vulgar, edgy, hornier than seems humanly possible, and often produces really sincere, touching work. Be aware that 90% of his comics are hella NSFW.